Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What were your cycling highlights in 2009?

Thoroughly enjoyed the fellowship of several other 50+ riders in Glenwood Springs in August.
    Rode another 6000-7000 miles with ______ ft of climbing-not sure I'll even add it up this year.
    Completed 2 rides longer than a century and longer than any previous ride I've done -a 130 miler and a 160 miler.
    Averaged more than 20 mph for the 160 miler.
    Finished 3rd in my category in the local Time Trial series.
    Added 2 new bikes-a Cervelo P2C TT bike and a Pinarello Prince with Campy Super Record 11sp.
    Acquired 3 new sets of wheels.
    Completed a Century under 4 hrs for the 5th year in a row (4000 ft of climbing in approx 4 hr 35 mins).
    Sold my Trek Madone. (Still need to unload a Cervelo P2k if anyone is intereted!)
    Completed 2 new out of state Centuries (RAIN and The Civil War Century).
    Did not suffer "burnout" from riding this year!!
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did a 75 miler.

Changed my bike chain.

Kind of retrued my daughter's wheel.

I guess that's it.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a fairly good season, with nine double centuries (though I got sick and had to pass on number ten).

Plus I rode the King of the Mountain series (3 rides totalling 30,000 feet of climbing and 314 miles), and I added some other fun climbing rides, i.e. Alpine Challenge and Ride Around the Bear.

My wife and I fit Seattle to Portland in there during the July break from California double centuries. So overall, a fairly good year.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Felt Z100 road bike and Schwinn Frontier
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought my first really nice road bike (Felt Z100), and did Ragbrai:
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/5329
    2011 Ride Across Arkansas:
    http://ozarkcyclingphotographer.blog...-arkansas.html

RAGBRAI 2009-Photos and narrative:
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/5329

My seven days on the Katy Trail in Missouri:
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/2094

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nada, zip, no highlites. Just another cycling year. Have 24 days to reach 3,000 for the year, that would be the highlite, except I did that before.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm at about 5,700 miles for the year -- my original goal was to do 5,200 miles (100/wk), which was a comfortable level, but now that I'm close to 6,000 I'm pushing to get there.

I wanted to do 120+ commutes to work, and I'm already past that.

Another goal was to ride over the North Cascades Highway, which I did in June, the longest/toughest ride of the year for me (132 miles, a ton of climbing).

My other goal was to ride RAMROD, an organized ride around Mt. Rainier, but I "lost" the entry lottery. As compensation, I set out to ride a bunch of other mountain rides in Washington state:
    - Hurricane Ridge (Olympic National Park)
    - Mt. Baker / Artists Point
    - Sunrise (Mt. Rainier National Park)
    - Paradise (Mt. Rainier National Park).
    Those were great rides, and huge confidence builders. I'm not fast, but I can get to the top of most anything if I take it easy.

However, maybe the best ride of the year was the last day before my son went back to college - he decided he'd spend the day riding with me, which was terrific.
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 12-07-09 at 03:13 PM.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without a doubt--buying the tandem. Will finish with about 3200 miles this year of which 1200 or so was with my stoker. We did two - 3 day tandem rallies and several charity rides, including the Hotten' Hell Hundred, where we did the 50 miler.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact, 1981 Raleigh Super Record 10-sp, Trek 4900 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the MS 150, which was only the MS 77 this year because the first day was rained out. Increased my mileage over last year, will probably just hit 3,000. Started leading my club's B rides. Have big plans for 2010.
    2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact
    1981 Raleigh Super Record
    Trek 4900 MTB
    My blog: "Bike Noob" http://bikenoob.wordpress.com

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great year for me. WOW
    28 Flats, getting good and changing them.
    Two Texas Tours.
    The 42 Ride. Paid to ride from NY to LA with some awesome Young Riders from all over the world.
    26 centuries. Rode with Tom's Team for the Second year on The Indy Speedway Track.
    How could it get any better?
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Avg 22+ mph for 10 miles after not riding a road bike for 45 years. Now at 2107 miles ridden for 09 after starting on 4-14-09 on a 40lb mountain bike. Had my rectum reconstructed on 6-12-09. Its been a long and painful recovery. Bought two old road bike's two weeks after the surgery. Only started really riding in September. Did two metric centuries. My legs are just now not feeling like cement after riding. Next year will try a Century. Now doing about 400 miles a month. I am 64.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Being able to get on the bike and ride. From a numbers or special trips point of view, 2009 was a bust as too much time was devoted to eye exams, retna tests, cataract surgery operating for almost 2 months without glasses for one or both eyes and generally intrusive stuff. It was a pleasure however, to occasionally get out and just ride through the woods on plesant days. 2010 should be a much better riding year.

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Jan. '09 Got talked into getting into road biking by a 70 yr old noob who wanted to ride in the Miami MS 150
    2. Feb. '09 Borrowed a '89 Trek 1200. Liked it. This baby is fast.
    3. Feb '09 Bought and Sold (Jul '09) a '91 carbon Specialized Epic SE road bike. Too Small. Made $150.
    4. Mar '09 Joined CSP Express cycling club. Started riding Tue, Thurs, Sat. 100 - 120 mi a wk.
    5. May '09 Bought a '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro. Rode my first "Age ride". 61 mi, Ave 18.4
    6. Jul '09 Took the bike from FL to Albany, NY on vacation. Did 4 memorable 40+ mi rides. Loved it.
    7. Aug '09 Bought a Tandem so my honey could join me.
    8. Aug - Nov '09 Did 2 more metrics, ave over 18
    9. Dec '09 Did my first Century. 5:15:50, ave 19.04
    10. 2009 YTD - 2500+ mi

All in all I'm pretty happy with my progress. Doubt if I'll improve much as I'll be 62 in Jan. Feel healthy, but at this age I'm not sure training can out pace mother nature.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An errand run, 17.14 miles @ 16.56 MPH--five days after getting hit by a car.

2.04 miles @ 16.58 MPH riding Yellow Bike home from the LBS after it was repaired from above crash. Discovery that custom-built CF forks work wonders for a bike, if you know your numbers.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon (Vintage); Merckx MX Leader (Campy 10); Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB), Alex Singer (allrounder)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding the Deathride
    Discovered how much fun riding a fixed gear can be
    Restoring my old bike
    Riding a century with my son - his 1st

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Discovered tour riding. A couple of week long self supported tour rides. Wonderful.

My fastest century at 5:19. A couple others close to that time.

My wife quit riding her bike around the park. She is now a hard core roadie.

Assembled a nice Trek 5500 from E-bay and spare parts. Great bike.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of you all had some impressive seasons/feats! Mine was much more modest. Due to a variety of things going on in my life, I just tried to make sure I got out to ride 4 to 5 days each week. Didn't get in nearly the time I wanted, but the time I did get in probably saved my mental health. So, I guess for me the highlight is that I had yet one more year where I was fortunate enough to be able to ride at all.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am satisfied with my last season of riding. Most of my 2009 goals were met.

Took a 2nd place in a cat 4/5 road race with a deciding hill on each of the three laps that separated the group.
    Rode across PA with two brother-in-laws while our wives rode support.
    Finished restoring my 1972 Raleigh Super Course. Upgraded most of the hanging parts making it a really sweet ride.
    Did a solo door to door 60 mile training ride with an average of 20.6mph and never hit Z4 HR.
    Love my riding buddies and even brought several more into the fold.
    Moved up to the "A" group in the weekly Westlake Circuit training race. Finished one 52 mile race in the pack with a 27.2 ave.
    3rd place in the Ohio Master's 55+ Crit Championship Race.
    Rode in the "B" races in cyclo cross usually finishing in the 40 to 55%. for being mediocre.
    Eating BF member Leinad's chocolate chip pancakes on the Red Flannel Metric in Nov.
    Kept my weight under 190.
    Ended the year with just under 7,500 miles.
    Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 12-07-09 at 03:36 PM.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding my road bike.
    Riding my mountain bike.
    Riding part of BRAG.
    Riding my birthday ride.
    Building my new long distance/commuting/light touring bike.
    Being alive.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buying, overhauling, and dialing in my first vintage road bike, the Super Le Tour, and riding the hell out of it including a century. Some of the best money I've spent.

(But not sure I want to do any more centuries...)

From a shaky start of the season (due to a sedentary temp gig w/a long commute & plain ol' sloth) and a midsummer interruption due to kidney stones, still stepping up my speed enough to ride with fast "B" group pacelines at up to 18mph average with sustained top speeds over 22mph. Once we hit 27.

Finally, for the first time ever I've joined a pretty demanding spinning class at the LBS for the winter: an hour of intervals & one-legged pedaling + an hour of core workouts & stretching, led by a Cat 1 racer. If I survive it I should start next season in fine shape. Also trying to keep riding outdoors at least a bit thru the winter, but I think I'll draw the line at about 25F. Yeah, I know: "htfu".

Now all I need is a job. Preferably within bike-commuting distance if I can't telecommute.
    Last edited by bcoppola; 12-07-09 at 08:10 AM.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made my goal this year of riding at least one day each month. When I realized that this was probably going to happen I set a 2nd goal of 3000 miles. I'm 90 short, but that's still 700 miles more than I've ever done in a year. I'm feeling good about it.
    Dan in SW Iowa...
    life is lethal; none of us gets out alive!

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by one_beatnik View Post
    I made my goal this year of riding at least one day each month. When I realized that this was probably going to happen I set a 2nd goal of 3000 miles. I'm 90 short, but that's still 700 miles more than I've ever done in a year. I'm feeling good about it.
    Come on now.. You can ride 90 more miles.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm impressed by the centuries and speeds posted in this thread. I've never been fast and never will be but I enjoy my time on the bikes.

I traveled to Glenwood Springs, CO to do the 50+ ride with several members of this group - great time and great people

Friends and I rode the Katy Trail, took in a day of the Tour of Missouri and had the pleasure of having lunch with Retro Grouch...another 50+ member

Rode GOBA (Great Ohio Bike Adventure) with friends. This was one of the flattest tours I've ever done. This year's ride is in Southeast Ohio and promises plenty of hills. I'll be doing it again.

Another year as a volunteer bike patrolman for Five Rivers MetroParks. I've been doing this 5+ years and love the chance to assist new riders and introduce them to the fantastic bike trails we have in the area.

I did manage to ride a little over 3000 miles this year.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a great year, it will be hard to top it again until I retire.

5054 miles year to date
    144 days with some riding activity
    Average ride: 35 miles
    Completed five century rides (100+ miles) including a 200k
    Lost 45 lbs during the last two years

My modern bike, a 2008 Soma Double Cross, received a new wheelset, a new road triple drivetrain, seat, pedals, and handlebars.
    My vintage bike, a 1972 Schwinn Paramount, is getting new chainrings, freewheel, and a period correct front wheel to match the rear.

Next year I will aim for 5000 miles, my unless my career gets in the way. I would also like to complete 10 century rides including a RUSA 200k, 300k & 400k.

Michael

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I set a goal of 2500 miles this year, but figured that would be unattainable because of the economy. What does the economy have to do with it you might ask? I had to pick up a second job so time became critical and I didn't get started until May 1 when I finally figured out how to arrange my time to ride. I got there by Thanksgiving and now I should be able to get 3,000....which is a new high for me. I also did my first century. Next year...5,000 miles.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine were few. I got a job, so now my commute is 20 miles a day total. For the first time in my life I ran into a combination of rain and wind that left my lips stinging for a day and forced me to stop riding for the duration of the storm. Got to attend the National Bicycle Summit and talk directly with my representatives on Capitol Hill about bicycling issues. And rode in the Big Jingle Jubilee Holiday Parade for the 4th time.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast