Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 12-08-09, 08:30 AM   #1
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Post your Riding Goals for 2010!

Well, now that I've opened this Pandora's box, I guess I'm up. Subject to further consideration, here are my 2010 Goals.

1. Do more Charity Rides. 6 this year, I think We have the Joe DiMaggio Childrens Hosp ride in Feb, MS150, Frank Starke Ride, etc
2. Do a Birthday Ride, for real this year (Jan 10th) Missed it last year cause I didn't start riding until Feb.
3. Do a century at 20+ mph
4. Do a 35mph sprint
5. Try CycloCross - man, that looks like fun.
6. Ride ~ 100 mi+ each week. (5,000+ this yr)

If I can think of any more ways to torture this tired old body, I'll post them later!
bobthib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 08:42 AM   #2
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
To ride.

oh, and to be around at the end of 2010 to post goals for 2011
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 09:02 AM   #3
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
To ride.

oh, and to be around at the end of 2010 to post goals for 2011
Doh! I forgot that one.
Old 12-08-09, 09:02 AM   #4
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
ride lots
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 09:39 AM   #5
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
Ride, ride, ride. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Repeat. And what maddmaxx said.
gcottay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 10:15 AM   #6
SaiKaiTai

Bikes:
Pretty much the same as my accomplishments for 2009, just to keep on riding as much as I possibly can (where have I heard that before? Hm)
I'd like to do more miles in 2010 than 2009 and I've more each year than the year before but, mainly, any miles are good miles.
SaiKaiTai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 10:39 AM   #7
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
To push one pedal.

Then to push the other pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 11:01 AM   #8
bobbycorno

Bikes:
The usual: Super Rando series, and a 1200k (this year, the Cascade 1200). And something a little different: I'm dedicating my Cascade 1200 ride to raising funds for Colegio La Esperanza, a project of a local non-profit: http://riseupinternational.com/wordpress/?page_id=7

SP
Bend, OR
bobbycorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 11:07 AM   #9
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
To finish the Dairyland Dare in better shape than 2009.
rck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 11:30 AM   #10
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: De Rosa Super Prestige, Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Do more Long distance events. Use commuting miles to establish a fitness base.
Barrettscv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 02:00 PM   #11
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Considering there are 23 cycling days left in the year, I'll keep working on 2009 a while, thanks. I don't finalize my goals until the last week of the year.
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 02:50 PM   #12
bjjoondo 
Old, SLOW bike rider! ;)

Bikes: 1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB
For the wife and I to start "road touring" with "overnighters or weekender" type road rides. We really want to get out on the road but with Jo being in the "change of life" (killer hot flashes), she's not strong enough for "group riding" so were going to very slowly work our way towards, "multi-day" tours, hopefully towards the end of Summer 2010!
bjjoondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 02:55 PM   #13
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Bikes:
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Continue to commute to work and also ride whenever I feel like it.

Might road tour from San Jose to San Diego so I will have an excuse for N+1 getting a tour bike that can be left on the mainland for trips there.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 03:58 PM   #14
t4mv
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Continue to commute to work and also ride whenever I feel like it.

Might road tour from San Jose to San Diego so I will have an excuse for N+1 getting a tour bike that can be left on the mainland for trips there.
Hey, CB, with the airline gouging going on for bags and stuff, it makes total sense to leave a bike on the mainland; quite a few years ago I finally gave up and left a classic steel ride (w/ Campy NR & Stronglight) at my in-laws in HNL and I haven't regretted it a lick since. I'll be back to ride it again in exactly 2 weeks.

My only goal for next year is to put in more miles than this pathetic year that's coming to a close.
t4mv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 06:42 PM   #15
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Here in California, there is a level of double century riding called "The Hall of Fame" and to get in, you have to have ridden 50 or more double centuries in California. So my goal for this year is to get in while I'm still 60.

Actually, I don't turn 60 until March, so I have all 2010 . . . except, the awards are given out the Sunday morning following the Knoxville Double, so I my real goal is to have 50 by then, or have the 2010 Knoxville Double be my 50th.

Okay, so as of right now, I have 42, and the doubles on my schedule for 2010 are:

Camino Real, Spring Solvang, Hemet, Devil Mountain, Davis, ,Eastern Sierra, Grand Tour and of course, Knoxville. Of those doubles, I've done all except Devil Mountain (which is brutally difficult with 18, 600 feet of climbing).

So, contingency plan here: If I DNF on Devil Mountain, I will try Central Coast (which I've never ridden before) with "only" 14,000 feet of climbing, instead. If I should happen to DNF on Central Coast too, I will plug in Mt. Tam, which I have done before, but which is also fairly brutal (we had over 17,000 feet of climbing on Mt. Tam last year).

I plan to do a lot of climbing rides to strengthen my vertical abilities, plus I have minor goals like the Palm Springs Century on a fixed gear and a week long tour with the Oregon Bike Ride folks.

Yeah, I know, you all think I'm crazy (except Dante who does these rides too) but as loyal readers know, I will fill you in as the season progresses in my long reports with far too much detail.

Rick / OCRR

PS: If you haven't ridden a double, set yourself a goal: Ride a Double Century! Then, when you've finished, you'll have great stories that none of your non-cycling friends will comprehend, . . . but at least you'll know I'm not crazy. Or . . . alternately, you'll be crazy too!
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 07:46 PM   #16
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; Merckx MX Leader (Campy 10); Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB), Alex Singer (allrounder)
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Ride RAMROD on my fixed gear
northbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 05:58 PM   #17
kabersch

Bikes: Scattante CFR Elite road bike and Schwin mountain bike
Ride to End of Pavement (those of you in the Phoenix east valley will understand what this is).
Ride El Tour de Phoenix.
Get a new bike!
Ride STP in one day.
Ride El Tour de Tuscon.
Ride. Ride. Ride!
kabersch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 06:26 PM   #18
CACycling

Bikes: '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
Ride more than 2009 (stayinf injury free would help with this a lot)

Keep commuting to work (over 70% for this year and hope to up that to at least 80% next year)

Convince wife to ride her age on her 50th B-day (this will be the toughest but I have a 50+ jersey stashed away for her as an incentive - may end up doing in k instead of m but that would be OK)

At least one overnight trip
CACycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 09:10 PM   #19
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
Here in California, there is a level of double century riding called "The Hall of Fame" and to get in, you have to have ridden 50 or more double centuries in California. So my goal for this year is to get in while I'm still 60.

Actually, I don't turn 60 until March, so I have all 2010 . . . except, the awards are given out the Sunday morning following the Knoxville Double, so I my real goal is to have 50 by then, or have the 2010 Knoxville Double be my 50th.

Okay, so as of right now, I have 42, and the doubles on my schedule for 2010 are:

Camino Real, Spring Solvang, Hemet, Devil Mountain, Davis, ,Eastern Sierra, Grand Tour and of course, Knoxville. Of those doubles, I've done all except Devil Mountain (which is brutally difficult with 18, 600 feet of climbing).

So, contingency plan here: If I DNF on Devil Mountain, I will try Central Coast (which I've never ridden before) with "only" 14,000 feet of climbing, instead. If I should happen to DNF on Central Coast too, I will plug in Mt. Tam, which I have done before, but which is also fairly brutal (we had over 17,000 feet of climbing on Mt. Tam last year).

I plan to do a lot of climbing rides to strengthen my vertical abilities, plus I have minor goals like the Palm Springs Century on a fixed gear and a week long tour with the Oregon Bike Ride folks.

Yeah, I know, you all think I'm crazy (except Dante who does these rides too) but as loyal readers know, I will fill you in as the season progresses in my long reports with far too much detail.

Rick / OCRR

PS: If you haven't ridden a double, set yourself a goal: Ride a Double Century! Then, when you've finished, you'll have great stories that none of your non-cycling friends will comprehend, . . . but at least you'll know I'm not crazy. Or . . . alternately, you'll be crazy too!
Rick/OCRR Double! 8^0 I bow to your awesomeness! I just did my first century last Sunday and was very happy with myself. Now I have a new challenge an a peak I don't know if I can reach. Awesome. Amazing. I'm dumbfounded.
Old 12-09-09, 09:23 PM   #20
Louis

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4mv View Post
My only goal for next year is to put in more miles than this pathetic year that's coming to a close.
Same with me.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 09:26 PM   #21
Stevie47

Bikes: Waterford, Orbea, Giant
My big one is to do a 40K time trial in under one hour. This is gonna be tough...
Stevie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 09:34 PM   #22
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
10 Centuries on the tandem with my wife. Get our flat, no wind cruising speed up over 20 mph (yeah, I know that slow for a tandem, but we're old). Get strong enough to comfortably climb, albeit slowly, what our club calls grade 4 climbs. Continue to enjoy cycling!
rdtompki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 09:55 PM   #23
zacster

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
To get through the year in one piece. I've had 2 season ending injuries in the last 4 years. OUCH. I don't attribute the accidents to age, but suddenly I seem accident prone and I've been more careful than ever.
zacster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 10:38 PM   #24
rainycamp
Clipless faller

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact, 1981 Raleigh Super Record 10-sp, Trek 4900 MTB
Ride both days of the MS 150 (this year, day one was rained out). Ride the Hotter 'n Hell Hundred. Really learn how to maintain and repair my bikes. Ride a greater variety of routes. Ride the whole year without falling -- not even once.
rainycamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 11:19 PM   #25
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike and Schwinn Frontier
Not thought about all my goals for 2010, but there is one in mind. Several years ago, I rode the Katy Trail in Missouri. Last year I did Ragbrai for the first time. Since I've ridden across Iowa, and most of Missouri, I think it's time to bike my home state (Arkansas). Thinking I'd like to take at least a week, pack my tent, and do a tour, solo if necessary. See some of the beauty of my home state.
5kdad is offline   Reply With Quote