Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: New Toys!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Toys!

I couldn't wait for Christmas.

Seems like I'm constantly tinkering with gearing and setups. I've been like that with golf clubs so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.

I just got the 12-29 11 sp cassette that came out last month for the Prince. I plan to use it on the steeper hilly rides. I mounted it on my climbing wheelset last night and tried it out. There's a nice difference between a 34-29 and a 34-27!! I keep saying I'm not a weight weenie but I may have to reevaluate that. I opted for the Super Record cassette instead of the lesser expensive ones because the rides I'll use it on will be the ones where the less weight the better-even if it's only a few grams. Probably the equivalent to a few swallows in a water bottle??

I figured it could opt for the less expensive 12-27 cassette when it's time to replace that one. While I was doing some research I noticed Campy bumped up the warranty on their 11 sp from 3 to 4 years on the drivetrain. They made it sound like it was even for maintenance types of replacements. There was a statement about they were out to prove the gear was made to last. Hard to imagine a chain lasting 4 years???? But at the price they cost that should be about right.

I also got SRAM's new 10 sp 11-32 cassette to try on my Trek road bike-for the really steep, hilly mountain rides. I currently have a 9 sp Shimano setup using an XT RD and a XTR 11-32 rear cassette wth the 50/34 compact crank. It performs flawlessly. I have an extra 10sp Shimano shifter so as soon as my 10 sp chain comes in I'm going to see if I can convert it from 9 sp to 10 sp. From what I've researched it should be compatible (I have the Dura Ace 7800) so we'll see.

The SRAM cassette sure is lightweight and funky looking. It really looks strange not having the spider plus just having the grooves to slide onto the hub just on the largest cog and not the other 9. The LBS said that the SRAM Reds are constructed similarly. Folks I have talked to say its not a strength issue but is sure seems to putting a lot of pressure on those few points that will be on the hub. It's amazing that the other 9 cogs are all milled from a CNC machine and are one piece.

I also picked up some Vision Tech carbon base bars for the Cervelo P2c and changed those out a week or so ago....plus a John Cobb TT saddle. I'm still using to alloy TT bars-but going to VT's carbon TT bars would make it look a little better. Since I'm not getting any faster I now have to LOOK faster........

Also looking at some new road shoes......maybe there is a Santa after all.
    Ride your Ride!!

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,
    You are keeping the XT RD and just changing the cassette, chain and brifters, correct? Sounds intriguing. I'm no expert but it should work, I would think. The 11-32 nine speed I copied from your Trek was working great for me through November... until the cruel jaws of winter closed in a few days ago. I haven't missed the 10th gear at all but I suppose a closer ratio could come in handy at times. Post up a pic or two and a review when you get the chance.

Away to the spin bike I go...
    Don

Edit: Holly crap! Just checked the cassette price. It's 9-speed for me for awhile!
    Last edited by billydonn; 12-10-09 at 10:50 PM.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds awesome Joe. I'm thinking about changing the rear derailleur on my Tarmac to the new "XX" version with the 32 tooth cassette and making it into a climbing bike. I like what I read about it and could use the extra leverage on the tuff ones, such as when I arrive at the base of Salt Pond Mountain with 98 miles on my legs .

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Joe,
    You are keeping the XT RD and just changing the cassette, chain and brifters, correct? Sounds intriguing. I'm no expert but it should work, I would think. The 11-32 nine speed I copied from your Trek was working great for me through November... until the cruel jaws of winter closed in a few days ago. I haven't missed the 10th gear at all but I suppose a closer ratio could come in handy at times. Post up a pic or two and a review when you get the chance.

Away to the spin bike I go...
    Don

Edit: Holly crap! Just checked the cassette price. It's 9-speed for me for awhile!
    I do plan to keep some type of MTB RD...it should work just fine with the 10 sp setup as the shifters do the indexing and the RD provides the rull range across all the cogs. Unfortunately because of the tooth capacity I have to use the long cage MTB RD option-but as you know the XT has peformed brilliantly on a 9 sp setup. However there are some newer RD's out out there that are a touch lighter...another few swallows in a water bottle! And yeah the cassette wasn't too cheap-if I didn't already have a shifter I'd probably not even consider doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by NealH View Post
    Sounds awesome Joe. I'm thinking about changing the rear derailleur on my Tarmac to the new "XX" version with the 32 tooth cassette and making it into a climbing bike. I like what I read about it and could use the extra leverage on the tuff ones, such as when I arrive at the base of Salt Pond Mountain with 98 miles on my legs .
    I have really, really enjoyed having the 34-32 arrangement. I'm not any faster but I'd much rather spin a little faster than kill my legs. But I just don't have that much power to push the really steep stuff anyway. I've also found it helpful when cramps set in and I can drop down into something a little easier for a spell.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Since I'm not getting any faster I now have to LOOK faster........

Also looking at some new road shoes......maybe there is a Santa after all.
    Gotta go with white shoes then. (First pair of white carbon shoes I bought my smart-assed kids asked if I was fast enough to be wearing white shoes.)
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have thought with the new Prince, fast wheels and special tires that your climbing cassette would be a Campy 11s 11/23. For kicks, I looked up the price of the 11s Super Record and got a nose bleed. http://www.treefortbikes.com/117_333...-Cassette.html

BTW, I like white / light colored shoes and recently switched to white bar tape.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    I would have thought with the new Prince, fast wheels and special tires that your climbing cassette would be a Campy 11s 11/23. For kicks, I looked up the price of the 11s Super Record and got a nose bleed. http://www.treefortbikes.com/117_333...-Cassette.html

BTW, I like white / light colored shoes and recently switched to white bar tape.
    Getting dangerously close to a white bike eh?

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Getting dangerously close to a white bike eh?
    Dangerously close. . . . . I am there. 10s 11/26

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They way I'm putting on weight right now I'm gonna need the 11/36 cassette! I can't worry about my bike weight when my belly is hitting the toptube.

So you think the 11/32 with the 7800 shifters and XT RD will work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need new bars for the Roubaix for my XC trip this Spring. I'm thinking of some sort of bullhorn or TT bar with aerobars. I can't see needing the drops on a traditional road bar while the positions of the bullhorn will be nice.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if the 11-32 cassette would work with my 53-39-26 front set up. I should be able to not only climb walls but keep going over the ceiling!
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys should put in for roles in Spiderman IV. Although, my new coach wants me crawling around on the floor like Spiderman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    You guys should put in for roles in Spiderman IV. Although, my new coach wants me crawling around on the floor like Spiderman.
    LOL, if all I wanted to ride were short 60 mile rides any gearing would do. It's after a metric that gearing really matters for me. Using easier gears early in the ride makes for a better, even faster, long ride.