Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The aches were all gone!

I just experienced the thrill of my first colonoscopy this past week. As I prepared for the "event" and they put me on the table, they said they were about to administer the "happy drugs." I've never been put under before and only once taken a painkiller stronger than ibuprofen, so I had little prior experience with these things.

They worked in that I don't remember anything from the procedure (thank goodness). I awoke after it was all done. But I didn't have any buzzy/happy feelings, when I woke up I was wide awake and alert. So I still haven't experienced any "high" type feelings in my life (never been buzzed or drunk).

But what I did notice what that I was completely pain free. I normally don't feel a lot of pain, but have assorted aches in my lower back and in several joints. They are constant companions, better some days than others. As I progress further over 50, more little aches are being added. But for about two hours, they were gone.

Wow, did that feel good! I had forgotten what it was like to be ache-free. No muscle stiffness either. My wife picked me up and we went out to lunch. I walked a few blocks, it was wonderful. I'd love to ride my bike in this condition.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmmmmm.......drugs good.......

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The first steps of a rookie doper.............. Ummm, I could learn to like this.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May I recommend a 12 step program?
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I just experienced the thrill of my first colonoscopy this past week. As I prepared for the "event" and they put me on the table, they said they were about to administer the "happy drugs." I've never been put under before and only once taken a painkiller stronger than ibuprofen, so I had little prior experience with these things.

They worked in that I don't remember anything from the procedure (thank goodness). I awoke after it was all done. But I didn't have any buzzy/happy feelings, when I woke up I was wide awake and alert. So I still haven't experienced any "high" type feelings in my life (never been buzzed or drunk).
    It is HIGHLY unusual for folks to complain afterwards about procedures done under the influence of Versed/Fentanyl.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reality is just a crutch for people who can't handle drugs.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    May I recommend a 12 step program?
    I was practicing the "12 step program" for several hours the night before.

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom- Glad the drugs worked for you! My first experience with that procedure was exactly the opposite. While meeting with the PA for the doctor performing the procedure, I inquired as to what they used to "put me out". 'Demerol" was the response. I know I am HIGHLY resistant to Demerol, as I discovered about 20yrs ago, when I had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted surgically, and, after 3 shots of the drug, still had NO relief. Was told at that time that I was fortunate not to have a drug habit, as it seemed I had HIGH resistance to the effects of opiates, and would be dead or broke if I had the addiction.

When told Demerol was the drug of choice, I told the PA of my experience. I later went in to the hospital in preparation for the procedure, and spoke to the doctor's assisting nurse, where the same conversation ensued. When the doctor came in to speak to me just prior to entering the surgical room, I once again had a similar chat. As the two left to prepare for my exam, I heard the nurse ask the doctor what she should use to "relax" me. Guess what he said...

Needless to say, after administering the drug intravenously, I was asked if I was still with it. "I'm still awake!", I responded. "Oh, no problem.", then 10 min. later, the same question got the same response. 10min. later they began the exam, and !!!

Not a good end...(yes the pun's intentional)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the last month I have pass the Trifecta: prostate test, stress test, and colonoscopy.

This means that I'm about to get hit by a bus. It was nice knowing all of you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better living thru chemistry!

Glad you didn't have any ill effects! Sometimes it "upsets" peoples stomachs...

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    It is HIGHLY unusual for folks to complain afterwards about procedures done under the influence of Versed/Fentanyl.
    This is the drug used during the more "frightening" prep work for cataract surgery. They push the plunger and you go away while they do the needle work to immobolize and numb the eyeball. In a few minutes you wake up and "gee, that's interesting. Is that the shadow of a tool in my eye?" Aside from the abstract urge to panic though, you really don't care.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I was practicing the "12 step program" for several hours the night before.
    So your bathroom is only 12 steps from the TV or computer? Good floor plan!

The magic triangle: TV chair, bathroom, kitchen.

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not the procedure that's unpleasant; it's the prep.