Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The aches were all gone!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The aches were all gone!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-09, 04:44 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The aches were all gone!

I just experienced the thrill of my first colonoscopy this past week. As I prepared for the "event" and they put me on the table, they said they were about to administer the "happy drugs." I've never been put under before and only once taken a painkiller stronger than ibuprofen, so I had little prior experience with these things.

They worked in that I don't remember anything from the procedure (thank goodness). I awoke after it was all done. But I didn't have any buzzy/happy feelings, when I woke up I was wide awake and alert. So I still haven't experienced any "high" type feelings in my life (never been buzzed or drunk).

But what I did notice what that I was completely pain free. I normally don't feel a lot of pain, but have assorted aches in my lower back and in several joints. They are constant companions, better some days than others. As I progress further over 50, more little aches are being added. But for about two hours, they were gone.

Wow, did that feel good! I had forgotten what it was like to be ache-free. No muscle stiffness either. My wife picked me up and we went out to lunch. I walked a few blocks, it was wonderful. I'd love to ride my bike in this condition.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 12-11-09, 05:00 PM
Laid back bent rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mmmmmm.......drugs good.......
Old 12-12-09, 04:29 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
The first steps of a rookie doper.............. Ummm, I could learn to like this.
Old 12-12-09, 08:04 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
May I recommend a 12 step program?
Old 12-12-09, 08:49 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I just experienced the thrill of my first colonoscopy this past week. As I prepared for the "event" and they put me on the table, they said they were about to administer the "happy drugs." I've never been put under before and only once taken a painkiller stronger than ibuprofen, so I had little prior experience with these things.

They worked in that I don't remember anything from the procedure (thank goodness). I awoke after it was all done. But I didn't have any buzzy/happy feelings, when I woke up I was wide awake and alert. So I still haven't experienced any "high" type feelings in my life (never been buzzed or drunk).
It is HIGHLY unusual for folks to complain afterwards about procedures done under the influence of Versed/Fentanyl.
Old 12-12-09, 11:16 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Reality is just a crutch for people who can't handle drugs.
Old 12-12-09, 11:45 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
May I recommend a 12 step program?
I was practicing the "12 step program" for several hours the night before.
Old 12-12-09, 11:52 AM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tom- Glad the drugs worked for you! My first experience with that procedure was exactly the opposite. While meeting with the PA for the doctor performing the procedure, I inquired as to what they used to "put me out". 'Demerol" was the response. I know I am HIGHLY resistant to Demerol, as I discovered about 20yrs ago, when I had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted surgically, and, after 3 shots of the drug, still had NO relief. Was told at that time that I was fortunate not to have a drug habit, as it seemed I had HIGH resistance to the effects of opiates, and would be dead or broke if I had the addiction.

When told Demerol was the drug of choice, I told the PA of my experience. I later went in to the hospital in preparation for the procedure, and spoke to the doctor's assisting nurse, where the same conversation ensued. When the doctor came in to speak to me just prior to entering the surgical room, I once again had a similar chat. As the two left to prepare for my exam, I heard the nurse ask the doctor what she should use to "relax" me. Guess what he said...

Needless to say, after administering the drug intravenously, I was asked if I was still with it. "I'm still awake!", I responded. "Oh, no problem.", then 10 min. later, the same question got the same response. 10min. later they began the exam, and !!!

Not a good end...(yes the pun's intentional)
Old 12-12-09, 12:39 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the last month I have pass the Trifecta: prostate test, stress test, and colonoscopy.

This means that I'm about to get hit by a bus. It was nice knowing all of you.
Old 12-12-09, 12:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better living thru chemistry!

Glad you didn't have any ill effects! Sometimes it "upsets" peoples stomachs...
Old 12-12-09, 12:58 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
It is HIGHLY unusual for folks to complain afterwards about procedures done under the influence of Versed/Fentanyl.
This is the drug used during the more "frightening" prep work for cataract surgery. They push the plunger and you go away while they do the needle work to immobolize and numb the eyeball. In a few minutes you wake up and "gee, that's interesting. Is that the shadow of a tool in my eye?" Aside from the abstract urge to panic though, you really don't care.
Old 12-12-09, 01:51 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I was practicing the "12 step program" for several hours the night before.
So your bathroom is only 12 steps from the TV or computer? Good floor plan!

The magic triangle: TV chair, bathroom, kitchen.
Old 12-13-09, 06:07 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
It's not the procedure that's unpleasant; it's the prep.