User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Acetabulum fracture-engineering question

In another thread, I told you guys about going down on Dec 1 and having major surgery to repair my fractured acetabulum (pelvis).

A neighbor told my wife about a kid who fell on a bike at another intersection in the neighborhood. It's a small area.

They just resealed our asphalt roads over the last several months. My wife walked today and reports the road is really slick if there is any wetness on it. We're starting to wonder if that caused my fall.

Does anyone have any info about this?

Thanks.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    google
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sort of information?
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask your local road commission what kind of sealer they use and if it usually creates this slickness.

Plus then you'll have the name of the product and you can google that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    Ask your local road commission what kind of sealer they use and if it usually creates this slickness.

Plus then you'll have the name of the product and you can google that.
    If you think the road surface may have caused your accident, contact your lawyer. You may have a cause of action against the materials supplier or the governmental entity responsible for the work. If you don't want to pursue legal action, and you just want to notify the road commission of a potential problem, then go ahead and contact them directly. Unfortunately, unless they are threatened with a legal action, it's unlikely that they will do anything.

Resurfacing can result in unreasonably slick road surfaces. One place I was working resurfaced the parking lot over a weekend. Everyone showed up for work on Monday, no problem. During the day it rained, and when work let out at 5, people were sliding all over the place. It was like a skating rink.

Sorry about your accident, and again, if you want a shot at recovering damages and getting a dangerous situation fixed, see a lawyer before you start calling people. Best of luck!
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    If you think the road surface may have caused your accident, contact your lawyer. You may have a cause of action against the materials supplier or the governmental entity responsible for the work. If you don't want to pursue legal action, and you just want to notify the road commission of a potential problem, then go ahead and contact them directly. Unfortunately, unless they are threatened with a legal action, it's unlikely that they will do anything.

Resurfacing can result in unreasonably slick road surfaces. One place I was working resurfaced the parking lot over a weekend. Everyone showed up for work on Monday, no problem. During the day it rained, and when work let out at 5, people were sliding all over the place. It was like a skating rink.

Sorry about your accident, and again, if you want a shot at recovering damages and getting a dangerous situation fixed, see a lawyer before you start calling people. Best of luck!
    Good point, Terex.

Just from the engineering side: Road surfacing coatings can contain oils when they are fresh. Due to rain this oil can rise to teh surface an cause a slick patch. I think a sealant would be more of a polymer material, that would contain any inherent oil. But being non-permeable, oil added, say drippings from cars, would stay on the top. When it rains, this oil is loosened from the surface, since oil floats on to p of water. Hence, slipperiness after rain storms.

Just hoping to aid with general understanding.