Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Merry Christmas and let me steal your bike!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-09, 01:44 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Someone stole my bike. I am wishing very bad things on them.
Old 12-27-09, 01:55 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Dang! That stinks!
Old 12-27-09, 02:01 PM
GLA

Bikes: KHS Tandemania Alite; Giant OCR; Bike Friday Crusoe; Bike Friday Traveller XL tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's rotten I hope you're Christmas has improved.
Old 12-27-09, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Darn is right! I hope your insurance covers your Cervelo with Zipp 404 wheels, speedplay pedals, Sidi shoes and all the kit you had beside it!
Old 12-27-09, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Hope they really, really needed it. I once had a motorcycle stolen and found that the guy who did it just wanted to joy ride. I was wishing bad things on him, too. Had a car stolen and found that the person who did it was trying to get his brother who was delirious and with a fever of over 103 degrees to the hospital. I was still angry, but less inclined to wish bad things on him. Best case scenario you get the bike back soon with no damage. Will your home owner's insurance cover it?
Old 12-27-09, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
Darn is right! I hope your insurance covers your Cervelo with Zipp 404 wheels, speedplay pedals, Sidi shoes and all the kit you had beside it!
I suspect you were kidding, but in Pennsylvania that might constitute insurance fraud and time in jail.
Old 12-27-09, 02:15 PM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Sorry to hear that. Hope they really, really needed it. I once had a motorcycle stolen and found that the guy who did it just wanted to joy ride. I was wishing bad things on him, too. Had a car stolen and found that the person who did it was trying to get his brother who was delirious and with a fever of over 103 degrees to the hospital. I was still angry, but less inclined to wish bad things on him. Best case scenario you get the bike back soon with no damage. Will your home owner's insurance cover it?
It was a 2001 Trek 1000. It is worth about the same as my deductible. Thing is, I really liked that bike. I just want MY pretty red & white bike. I feel like Pee Wee's Big Adventure and I'd like to take all the town's folk into my basement and interrogate them because I know someone has to know something!
Old 12-27-09, 02:15 PM
E—Bike Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

Could you let us know what sort of lock you were using, and if you can guess how they breached it? Any evidence left behind at the scene?
Old 12-27-09, 02:23 PM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ausGeoff
Sorry to hear that.

Could you let us know what sort of lock you were using, and if you can guess how they breached it? Any evidence left behind at the scene?
Well, Detective, here's the problem. I live in a very tiny town where nothing bad ever happens (Mayberry RFD) My bike was in my garage that is in back of my house set far off the street. It didn't have a lock on it and even the policeman that took the report didn't find anything odd about it not being locked.
Old 12-27-09, 02:47 PM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

ausGeoff, Upon rereading my reply to your inquiry, I realized I sounded quite snarky. I didn't mean to, I apologize. I am a tad traumatized over the whole event. Please forgive me.
Old 12-27-09, 02:51 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Now you need to vigilantly monitor Craigslist and E-Bay listings for YOUR bike. Hey, you never know. Bikes have been recovered that way before.

I hope you get your bike back and that it's none the worse for wear.
Old 12-27-09, 02:58 PM
E—Bike Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
ausGeoff, Upon rereading my reply to your inquiry, I realized I sounded quite snarky. I didn't mean to, I apologize. I am a tad traumatized over the whole event. Please forgive me.
No probs miss kenton. No need to apologise.
I'd be P'd off too.

I live in Australia, (in Melbourne pop 4.5 million) and they're telling us here to lock our bikes even at home in our garages!!! I dunno exactly what we're supposed to lock 'em to? Part of out car's suspension? A skyhook maybe?

Sometimes thieves leave behind chomped cables, or bits of U-locks, or plastic lock covers, or at least grinder dust. Which can sometimes point to a specific weakness inherent in the type of lock one uses.
Old 12-27-09, 03:03 PM
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I live in a very tiny town where nothing bad ever happens
If that's the case it shouldn't be too difficult to find out who has it. Print out posters with pictures and a small award for information and get them distributed to the local stores and bulletin boards. Let all of your friends know it's gone and asked them to keep an eye out for it and do a run of local pawn shops and flea markets. Depending on how small of a town you live in, you should get a lead back on who has it.
Old 12-27-09, 03:21 PM
thompsonpost

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Locking the garage door didn't seem prudent? It does to me everytime I close my garage with my bike and access to my house in it. Bummer about your loss.

Old 12-27-09, 03:21 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I live in Australia, (in Melbourne pop 4.5 million) and they're telling us here to lock our bikes even at home in our garages!!! I dunno exactly what we're supposed to lock 'em to? Part of out car's suspension? A skyhook maybe?

Sometimes thieves leave behind chomped cables, or bits of U-locks, or plastic lock covers, or at least grinder dust. Which can sometimes point to a specific weakness inherent in the type of lock one uses.
My wife had her new bike stolen in 92 and we even found out who had stolen it- but the police did not want to know. Since that time- the bikes are never left unattended when out on rides- hand or butt on it at all times.

When I built my shed- I built into the floor a Closed hook. A steel hawser goes into that and then secures all the bikes with a Kryptonite lock. Even when the bikes went into the rafters- They are secured to the shed by a steel hawser that locks all the frames together. They may be able to get a wheel or two but then they have to get into shed without setting off the two alarms. One activated by the door and the other by a motion sensor.

But I am afraid that if a thief want your bike- He is going to get it. Despite all the precautions you may take to stop them

And the thief that took the wifes bike--It appeared at his school resprayed and the Frame number filed off. But it was at that time a very exclusive bike. Only a GT But it was the only one sold in our area at that time. My daughter let it be known to some of her classmates that it was her mothers bike and the kid had stolen it and retribution was soundly given out. The classmates were the ones that I would not allow my daughter to bring home.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 12-27-09 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-27-09, 04:05 PM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Now you need to vigilantly monitor Craigslist and E-Bay listings for YOUR bike. Hey, you never know. Bikes have been recovered that way before.

I hope you get your bike back and that it's none the worse for wear.
The first thing my husband did was check Craig's List. When he told me he was doing it, I said, "Don't be an idiot! It won't be there!" When the policeman came, the first thing he said was "Check Craig's List!" I had to humbly apologize to my husband!
Old 12-27-09, 04:08 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Time for a brand new bike with all the upgrades you can think of.
Old 12-27-09, 04:10 PM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
No probs miss kenton. No need to apologise.
I'd be P'd off too.

Thank you for your graciousness and concern. They left all the other crappy bikes and only took the decent one. As added insult, they left my helmet, which was attached to the handlebars, on the filthy floor of the garage!
Old 12-27-09, 04:14 PM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Time for a brand new bike with all the upgrades you can think of.
I wish! The only reason I had a Trek was because my brother-in-law gave it to me! My last bike was a Fuji hybrid that I gave to my son to commute on campus. Now I will have no wheels until we pay the Christmas bills!
Old 12-27-09, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I suspect you were kidding, but in Pennsylvania that might constitute insurance fraud and time in jail.
Your suspicion is correct NOS.
Old 12-27-09, 04:26 PM
thompsonpost

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Homeowners insurance should cover it, although you may have to present a bill of sale to be reembursed.

Old 12-27-09, 04:30 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Bummer.

I hope you get your bike back and that the thief gets what's coming to him.
Old 12-27-09, 05:23 PM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Bummer.

I hope you get your bike back and that the thief gets what's coming to him.
Thanks, and what might be coming to him is an angry middle-aged woman on a red and white Trek going full speed ahead!
Old 12-27-09, 05:27 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is rotten news. No insurance recoverable. No money left after Christmas. Bike worth more to you than its actual value. Stolen out of your back yard. Bad news all around.

I am also thinking bad thoughts toward the thief.

Thief is likely to move the bike for only $100 to $200.

You may have to watch Craig's List not only to see if it pops up but if a suitable replacement might show up at a reasonable price.

I hope other things going on in your life are happier.
Old 12-27-09, 05:42 PM
DoubleTrouble

Bikes: 06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miss Kenton,

This link is a site that collects all listings for craiglist and ebay and posts them in a tabular form with clickable links for easy access.

https://tinyurl.com/ycnbox3

You can also use the filters to fine tune your search area. I noticed you state your location as blueberry capitol of the world,nj. My wife, Red Rider is from New Jersey. I used the filter to search in New Jersey and did not see anything listed that matches your bike. I used the Northeast filter and found one in Brunswick County. It's listed as a Trek 1000 54cm and posted 12/26. There is a picture but it looks like a stock photo. Can't tell if it's yours or not.

You can also use it to search for a replacement bike.

It should make a craigslist/ebay monitoring much easier for you. Good luck. Hope you have success.

Last edited by cgallagh; 12-27-09 at 05:54 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.