Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post your last ride of 2009

Did my last ride of 2009 today, 12/31/09. A little over 38 miles. It was cool, clear, and crisp about 65 deg and sunny. No wind. Two other guys joined me at 7:30. It was my first ride with my new Garmin edge 305.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/10686

I'm glad to see this year end. My 6 yr old grandson was diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma, a very rare and deadly childhood cancer. He has spent about 1/2 his time since march in the hospital. Thank God, he is now cancer free, but neuroblastoma has a nasty habit of re-occurrence.

On the plus side, 2009 was the year I started riding, march actually. It's been a good stress reliever. I also bought my bike and a tandem. I guess it wasn't all bad.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a bit over 17 miles this morning. The roads were still wet from yesterday's light rain, it was in the mid-40s and had some gusty winds to deal with. Not perfect conditions but the sun was out and I rode along the coast with clear views of our coastal islands. Didn't ride as much today (or the past year for that matter) as I would have liked but any ride is better than no ride.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (also posted in the riding in the rain thread)

I don't ride in the rain very often, maybe once in a blue moon . So it makes sense that it started raining as I headed out for my last ride of the year this morning. Luckily I noticed a light mist as I was preparing to ride and the temp was a cool 45F, so I wore my rain coat. It would have made more sense to ride the Casseroll with its fenders, but I really wanted to close out the year with my best girl, so Ribby and I headed out. At about 3 miles the light mist became a light rain. At 5 miles it was a steady moderate rain and it stayed that way for most of the ride. I was about to cut the ride short at 10 miles as my hands and feet were getting wet and cold (despite my 2 pairs of wool socks), but then it stopped and the sun peeked out, so I decided to go another 5 miles or so. I almost stretched it out further, but the rain came back harder than ever as I approched my street, so I packed it in with 16 miles ridden. Other than being a little chilly, it wasn't bad at all. After a warm shower I feel fine, but my bike is not clean anymore.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love it. OP mentions it was a bit cool (65 degrees). Yesterday I rode 15 miles in 30 degree weather. I had to stop after an hour since I did not have enough layers. We had snow today so I went to the LBS and upgraded the cold weather gear. I am sure someone will weigh in with a much colder last ride. I am hell bent on ridng thru the winter to get off to a faster start this spring.

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bikely route

I did 19 miles on my new Schwinn Cutter single speed, the longest ride to date on the new bike.

Gray, gray day. 40s and drizzle.

Stopped in at the LBS to hang out with the staff before they closed early for New Years Eve.

I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

My Bikes
    Trek 620, Trek 560. Trek 830
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do we do this again?

Motivation comes from curious sources. At the last Holiday gathering I attended, I made a commitment to bring the Champagne for tonight’s festivities. I was not only motivated, but inspired to run the last errand of the year!

That said, I was off riding into a cloudy, drizzly and cold evening. It turned out to be a great ride! The drizzle stopped shortly after I left home, my winter kit worked well at 39F and I am actually looking forward to my next trip to Salem Lake.

Only 6.92 miles out and back the pace was brisk and the load light on the return trip. Later, I will lift my glass to Salute everyone here! Have a safe and Happy New Year!

Stats
    Load: Approximately 10 lbs
    Miles Today: 6.92
    Weeks Miles: 20.25
    Months Miles: 74.20
    Year Since June: 1081.04

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the last ride was Tuesday with the Bee Team out of Waxhaw, NC. Seven of us did 101 miles in bright sunshine and 26 degrees at the start. Got up above 40 as the day progressed, but a 10+ mph NNW wind the last 40 or so miles made it even more memorable. Lots of rolling hills and some not so rolling hills in North and South Carolina. Our most studly member, Curt, did in on his Felt fixie--that is more than studly, don't you think?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did my work commute today, just over 25 miles. I'm glad I got off at noon. Shortly after I got home, the wind really picked up, the temperature started dropping, and a cold rain started. It wasn't fit weather at all to be outside installing a north facing storm door this afternoon(ask me how I know that).
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last ride of the year: 34 miles today December 31, 2009. Temp 62F when I started and 74F when I finished. It is great to live in central FL where you can ride almost year around. I rode 223 days this year and most of it in very good weather.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE ON THE FORUM. I wish each of you good health sunny warm days and light winds. May 2010 be a good riding year for you.

SloSpoke Jim

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/23030

Didn't have a lot of time...but this was a good ride. Winds were ENE @ 20MPH with gusts to 42 MPH. Recorded my fastest speed of the year at 47.12 mph downhill with a stiff "breeze" at my back.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

old and slow
    My Bikes
    cannondale caad4, dura ace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did the portola loop, not as fast as i would have liked, but im coming back from a pretty nasty spill in sept. beautiful weather in northern california today. no warmers at all. 30 miles no complaints.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Posted my last ride of 09 under "My luck ran ou....."

My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
    Bikely route

I did 19 miles on my new Schwinn Cutter single speed, the longest ride to date on the new bike.

Stopped in at the LBS to hang out with the staff before they closed early for New Years Eve.

Cool looking bike shop.. A friendly place. I"d much rather be in a cozy setting with fellow bike people rather than Starbucks..

. My last 2009 ride. 31 miles.. Partly cloudy.. A high of 57 degrees...
    Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living

^ Since January 1, 2012

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode 60 miles solo on 12/30. The temps were in the low 40's but there was hardly any wind. I'm continuing to try and discover new roads and routes in an area I've been riding in for 6-7 years. I really enjoy riding this time of year but the trick is getting the layers just right. No speed records broken on this ride-probably 2 mph slower than normal but it was just about burning those holiday calories.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Man View Post
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/23030

Didn't have a lot of time...but this was a good ride. Winds were ENE @ 20MPH with gusts to 42 MPH. Recorded my fastest speed of the year at 47.12 mph downhill with a stiff "breeze" at my back.
    LOVE THAT RWGPS site! Thanks for posting the route. Your rides have "character." Mine are dead flat.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    25 miles in the fog.
    George

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthib View Post
    LOVE THAT RWGPS site! Thanks for posting the route. Your rides have "character." Mine are dead flat.
    Yeah I saw yours and wondered about 263' of elevation in 38 miles...I get that much leaving my neighborhood! But flat is nice sometimes. When I go somewhere flat my average speed goes up 3-4 mph...which means training in the hills pays off. Just for grins you can go to someone's map and then find it on Google maps and get a street view...it's interesting to see where others ride too.

I love the Ride with GPS site...and it is getting better all the time.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No photos of mine. It was a round trip in to the office (because the flamming server was down and needed to me reset). 12 miles in the rain/sleet/freezing rain and slush of news years eve.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    '09 fisher zembrano, '92 schwinn frontier
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine was not much of a ride. I installed the bar ends and mirror that my wife gave me for Christmas on wednesday and went for a 30 minute ride around the neighborhood. It was cloudy, 36 degrees with 10-15 mph winds.

Still kickin - most days BILLYPATT's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200 road bike, Trek 7.5 FX hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rode 51 miles in the hills near Idywild California. It was a surprisingly beautiful day and not too cold. At the end of the ride, I just circled the neighborhood until the odometer clicked 51 miles. That made 8,000 miles for the year exactly!
    Bill Patterson
    www.laastro.com

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Years eve - 60 minutes in the 4 season room on the trainer. Snowed about 2" and was 30 degress out.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    17 miles round trip to work on my cross bike with studded tires and bionx kit. It's my first commute in over a month. We were supposed to have freezing rain but there was 3 inches of snow. The bike didn't do great in the slush/packed snow/ice but the trip wasn't bad (no additional precip). The studded tires do better on black ice than slush or hard pack uneven ice.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last ride of 2009 was on 12/31/09. 25 miles round trip down here in LA (Louisiana). Great day for a ride, but I have a cold and didn't want to go overboard. No ride on January 1. Wife caught up with me, and I did yard work today

My Bikes
    dawes, schwinn, kona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A late start and no lights limited me to a whopping 8 miles on the 30th. Sleet and freezing rain on the 31st. Better than nothing.

Happy New Year

Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast