Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

4 week countdown

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

4 week countdown

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-10, 11:52 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
4 week countdown

After busting my perfectly good collar bone on 12/16 I am counting down the days I can regain a full array of normal activity. In looking at the xrays the bone was completely severed and has taken a position slightly askew of nrmal alignment. I was expecting severe pain and no mobility as part of the healing process but this has not been the case.
The Doc said I would not like riding my trainer as the slight rocking of the body would be painfull, I was on the trainer within less than a week of the injury. I also have full range of motion of the shoulder, which I test every morning in the shower. I have even been able to carry bags of grocerys and pick up (not too heavy) odds and ends as part of my normal routine. Today I am planning a session in the wood working shop. Only the first 5 nights was I unable to complete a nights sleep in bed and had to finish it up in a recliner, now I can sleep on my uninjured side through the night and it has only been a little over 2 weeks.

I only hope that in another 4 weeks he will clear me for all normal activity if I promise to apply a dose of caution.
I hate not being able to ski right now, but conditions have been marginal anyway. Thi weekend I may try snow shoeing.
Old 01-01-10, 12:08 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You and I are on the same schedule for getting back on the saddle. I've been off the bike since Dec 1 and am chomping at the bit to get back into riding. I will get clearance for weight bearing on my ankle on Jan. 11th. I should be able to go back to work the next day as the doctor will sign off on my position description. He gave me a verbal OK two weeks ago but would not sign the form required by my employer. I may get on the trainer tomorrow for 15 minutes to do some light riding then do my core work exercises. I hope to be "full on" when the ice fishing season on Lake Erie begins later this month.

Heal quickly Cyclinfool.
Old 01-01-10, 03:10 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
You and I are on the same schedule for getting back on the saddle. I've been off the bike since Dec 1 and am chomping at the bit to get back into riding. I will get clearance for weight bearing on my ankle on Jan. 11th. I should be able to go back to work the next day as the doctor will sign off on my position description. He gave me a verbal OK two weeks ago but would not sign the form required by my employer. I may get on the trainer tomorrow for 15 minutes to do some light riding then do my core work exercises. I hope to be "full on" when the ice fishing season on Lake Erie begins later this month.

Heal quickly Cyclinfool.
You too AJ! - seems like '09 was a bad year for the 50+ crowd and bones, going through the posts we took a lot of hits.
Old 01-02-10, 08:51 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys are ahead of me. I suffered a fractured "acetabulum" on December 1, had surgery on December 3 and now have 10 screws and 2 plates in my rear end. Actually, in my pelvis. I'm non weight bearing on my left leg for at least 8 weeks post surgery. My injury came from a really bad bike fall--at the end of a 25 mile ride, in my neighborhood, I turned left on a newly resealed asphalt road and the bike just shot out from under me, dropping me right on that bone. It dislocated my hip joint and fractured my pelvis. The good news is that I should have a 100% surgery, with arthritis down the road being the only concern.

Only 25 days to go!

It is annoying being in a wheelchair, but I keep telling myself it is only temporary and will pass.

The 50+ crowd took some major hits.
Old 01-02-10, 09:10 AM
Week Day Commuter.

Bikes: 2015 FUJI Roubaix 1.0 LE 2011 Trek PDX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
After busting my perfectly good collar bone on 12/16 I am counting down the days I can regain a full array of normal activity. In looking at the xrays the bone was completely severed and has taken a position slightly askew of nrmal alignment. I was expecting severe pain and no mobility as part of the healing process but this has not been the case.
The Doc said I would not like riding my trainer as the slight rocking of the body would be painfull, I was on the trainer within less than a week of the injury. I also have full range of motion of the shoulder, which I test every morning in the shower. I have even been able to carry bags of grocerys and pick up (not too heavy) odds and ends as part of my normal routine. Today I am planning a session in the wood working shop. Only the first 5 nights was I unable to complete a nights sleep in bed and had to finish it up in a recliner, now I can sleep on my uninjured side through the night and it has only been a little over 2 weeks.

I only hope that in another 4 weeks he will clear me for all normal activity if I promise to apply a dose of caution.
I hate not being able to ski right now, but conditions have been marginal anyway. Thi weekend I may try snow shoeing.
I went down on 11-27 and broke my collar bone had surgery on 12-4 they put in 10 screws and a few plates later, i might be riding by Feb 1 (I hope)
No weigh for another 4 weeks and i'm just now able to work on range of motion never had any pain didnt even know i broke it LOL!!
Old 01-02-10, 01:15 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
The clavicle is arguably the weakest bone in the body. (We should have a poll -- how many BFers have fractured a clavicle, and how many were of these were cycling mishaps?) I did a double fracture of my left clavicle in 1976, in my one intimate encounter with a motor vehicle, and it healed rapidly and uneventfully. The two calluses occasionally bothered me while driving, but the inertial reel shoulder belts in today's cars are far more comfortable.

Best wishes to all of the BF convalescents! I fear the traditional Irish blessing, "May the road rise up to meet you," might be mis-construed.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-02-10, 01:42 PM
Week Day Commuter.

Bikes: 2015 FUJI Roubaix 1.0 LE 2011 Trek PDX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
(We should have a poll -- how many BFers have fractured a clavicle, and how many were of these were cycling mishaps?)
Yep went down on the ARBT at about 25Mph found out the hard way i dont bounce as well as i use too. LOL!
Old 01-02-10, 01:49 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I heard that some guy from Texas broke his collarbone in mid March and put in a strong showing in the Giro de Italia two months later. Must not be a big deal.
Old 01-02-10, 04:06 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I heard that some guy from Texas broke his collarbone in mid March and put in a strong showing in the Giro de Italia two months later. Must not be a big deal.
I was up on the mountian today - watching my daughter in her first race. In speaking with other skiiers they were a lot of collar bone injurys, one guy told me he has done it 4 times and one of his collar bones is now floating.
Another guy told me that he was skiing with a guy last week who was glad skiing after breaking his colar bone the week before, he was in a lot of pain but did not want to stop - now that guy is crazy.
About two years ago I took a spill on the bike and hit the pavement doing about 30, not sure if I fractured anything but felt like I partially dislocated my shoulder - I did not get an xray.

Anyway - each day is a little better.
Old 02-02-10, 08:26 PM

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I broke mine--and a couple ribs--on Oct 28. Surgery one day later and now have a piece of titanium in my shoulder. I was off the bike for 51 days.
Old 02-02-10, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Hang in there those 4 weeks will eventually pass. Just be thankful it's not peak riding season.