Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Spin and things

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Spin and things

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-10, 06:52 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Spin and things

Well 4 weeks into the healing collar bone and a new x-ray today. I feel great, bone hurts from time to time at the injury site but I can seem to do anything I want with it. Unfortunately there has not been enough "filling in" in the x-ray to indicate I am good to go skiing again for another 4 weeks. I am no Doc but I could even see where a lot more healing needs to occur as I examined the x-ray, The Doc knows I am very active - he threatened to come to my house and take away my skis, he was not even surprised that I had already taken a run on them since the injury. I was hoping for a 6 week recovery - now it looks like 8 In any event I am snow shoeing and staying active. I took my first spin class ever this week - I will make it a regular routine - twice a week at least until spring. It was fun, it made the time go by better than spinning alone on the trainer. I could not do the last "out of the saddle " set due to the shoulder but that too will pass soon enough. Heart rate really got up there, more than I am able to do on my own grinding away on the trainer.
Old 01-14-10, 09:10 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
In response to recent weather trends I have now spun my way through all of December and half of January. I'm lucky to work in a building with spin bikes and a good view. It's a valuable training tool, if not the most fun thing in the world. The HR monitor helps pass the time too. Never done a class though... I may have to try one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010387.jpg (98.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-15-10, 12:57 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My only problem with spinning classes is that they become addictive. When at the gym I would do them in preference to a general workout but I hate to say it but I need that general workout to keep the rest of the body in shape.

Whatever you do- Do not invite any members of the class for a ride. They may be able to tan your butt on the spinning bikes- but if you ever get them out on a real ride- you will be carrying them after 30 miles.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-15-10, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Whatever you do- Do not invite any members of the class for a ride. They may be able to tan your butt on the spinning bikes- but if you ever get them out on a real ride- you will be carrying them after 30 miles.
I've been to several spin classes at different places, and only one of the instructors acctually rode a bike, and she was a racer. She knew about bke and racing, and history, and she could crush anybody else there inside or out. Cute too.
The insructor at the class I'm going too now, while easy on the eyes, but she look to me for approval when she sets up a beginers bike, and asks about thier position and technique after the class. But it beats the trainer in the basement in front of the TV.
Old 01-17-10, 03:33 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Cannondale R2000 with over 70,000 miles on it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been teaching spinning for 12 years and It's definitely a plus, especially when the weather is less than desirable for riding. As mentioned in the previous thread I haven’t met too many instructors that actually ride and that’s a short coming in my opinion.

Face it; there’s only so much one can do on a bike and some of the routines I’ve witness had no business in a spinning class.

All my routines resemble an actual bike ride. Nothing fancy, just basic strength and cardiovascular building for both fast and slow twitch muscle groups. All my classes are 90 minutes long and through the years I’ve developed quite a following.

Anyone in the Houston area is more than welcome to attend one and then give a progress report…HA!

Sarge.

Last edited by Sgt. Spillco; 01-17-10 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-19-10, 12:00 PM

Bikes: Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sgt. Spillco
All my classes are 90 minutes long and through the years I’ve developed quite a following.
Am I still in the 50+ forum or have I pressed the back button too many times?
90 minutes is some class! Do you supply the oxygen as well?

Methinks, anyone perusing this forum in the Houston area may well be sweating just reading your post

I have been doing a little spinning using an mp3 download, and next week I am doing my first class.
Will I need to arrange transport home, or will I be ok to drive?
Old 01-19-10, 01:11 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dwhit
I have been doing a little spinning using an mp3 download, and next week I am doing my first class.
Will I need to arrange transport home, or will I be ok to drive?
Watch out for that first class. The "Old" hands in the class will find out if you are competitive with the best two in the class either side of you and the fattest in Tight Lycra in front of you. They will "Encourage " you to work extra hard and get you to your limit within 15 minutes of the start.

Don't worry though as you will book for another 10 classes immediately afterward.

That first class will give you a shock but it does take 3 or 4 to get into the rhythm. And the 90 minute class is just a warmup. Once a month at our gym they have an extended lesson for 3 hours but they do stop at 2 hours for refreshments and comfort stop. That is if you can stop the legs going round.

And the best recovery from a hard spinning class is a Hot Curry from the takeaway. You have to replace the carbs you have just lost.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-19-10, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Fixed it.
Originally Posted by dwhit

Methinks, anyone perusing this forum in the Houston area may well be swearing just reading your post
Old 01-19-10, 02:55 PM
Just a Cyclist

Bikes: 08 Trek Madone 5.5, 07 Lemond Versailles-Carbon, 06 Lemond Croix de fer-True Temper, 95 Bianchi Eros-Chromoly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
Well 4 weeks into the healing collar bone and a new x-ray today. I feel great, bone hurts from time to time at the injury site but I can seem to do anything I want with it. Unfortunately there has not been enough "filling in" in the x-ray to indicate I am good to go skiing again for another 4 weeks. I am no Doc but I could even see where a lot more healing needs to occur as I examined the x-ray, The Doc knows I am very active - he threatened to come to my house and take away my skis, he was not even surprised that I had already taken a run on them since the injury. I was hoping for a 6 week recovery - now it looks like 8 In any event I am snow shoeing and staying active. I took my first spin class ever this week - I will make it a regular routine - twice a week at least until spring. It was fun, it made the time go by better than spinning alone on the trainer. I could not do the last "out of the saddle " set due to the shoulder but that too will pass soon enough. Heart rate really got up there, more than I am able to do on my own grinding away on the trainer.

Spinning is great that's what I do to keep in shape for riding during the winter months. I go to the Health Club and spin 4 to 5 times a week and get a good work out. I hope that your collar bone heals quick so that you can get back to skying if not skying then bike riding. Good luck.
Old 01-22-10, 07:44 AM

Bikes: Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks leob1 Although i should imagine a bit of sweating and a lot of swearing would be nearer the truth!
Old 01-23-10, 01:15 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My tandem stoker goes to spin classes to keep fit for our rides when the weather warms up (she doesn't like riding in cold weather or rain, and she's not even from California!). She says the instructors (all female) are usually triathletes, so the classes can get pretty intense, but she goes at her own pace. She does try to increase her spin rate, though, which is a bonus as she's getting more used to spinning at my tempo on the tandem.
I once went to a spin class. It only went about 40 minutes, but by the end I definitely had the biggest pool of sweat underneath my bike. I think that the fitter you are, the easier it is to sweat because your body is just more efficient. I was impressed that all the bikes had SPD-compatible pedals on them, the kind that you can use as platform pedals or clip-ins. I used my mountain bike shoes. But overall, I figured I'd rather be out on a real bike.

Luis
Old 01-23-10, 02:47 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
I tried spin classes in the early Fall. I can definitely see that they are a great workout, but I stopped going b/c (a) the offerings at my gym mostly didn't jibe with my schedule and (b) there's no digital setting to the resistance on the spin bikes. The latter may sound trivial, but I really couldn't quite get used to not knowing if I was feeling much better than the day before or if my resistance setting was just easier. So I've been using the stationary bicycles on my own. It doesn't have the benefit of group/leader encouragement, but I'm pretty good at pushing myself. Every 3-4 weeks I go up one digital level on the interval routines. 50 minutes is all I can stand, though. After that, the combination of exhaustion and boredom sends me to the showers.
Old 01-23-10, 08:53 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I do my spinning alone and always for one-hour. I'm a little worried though... I'm starting to enjoy it a little bit.
Old 01-25-10, 11:27 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gash44
Spinning is great that's what I do to keep in shape for riding during the winter months. I go to the Health Club and spin 4 to 5 times a week and get a good work out. I hope that your collar bone heals quick so that you can get back to skying if not skying then bike riding. Good luck.
Thanks! - Last week I was feeling too uncomfortable to spin but by weeks end I felt great. I did another class this morning, the insrtuctor was better and seemed to have better knowledge about cycling just from the moves she made and direction she provided. I think I will keep this going through the rest of the winter.
Old 01-25-10, 12:07 PM

Bikes: GT Carbon Grade, Jamis Nova Pro, Giant Sedona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did my first spin class New Years Eve. After 15 minutes I became convinced the cute little girl in the front was trying to kill me. I must be a glutton for punishment because I've been hitting it twice a week since. The class pushes me harder than I do myself and I'm like a wrung out dish rag at the end but I love the workout.