Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

MTB's on the road

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

MTB's on the road

Old 01-17-10, 10:19 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
MTB's on the road

Had to go out today for a couple of reasons. I wanted to see if the knee problem was bike associated- and the rest of the group turned up at 9am to go for a ride. Due to the weather no-one had been out much over the past few months so an easy ride was decided on. 25 miles with a stop for PIE at the sea front.

Although this was going to be a road ride- I decided not to get a road bike out as mainly they were on MTB's. That and the fact that any bike was going to get covered in filth today and the MTB had not been cleaned from last weeks ride. So oil the chain and we were off.

Cuckoo trail down to Fuscardi's and it was filthy. The snow has all melted but it was wet. So were we by the time we stopped but so far so good.

I did intend to be good today and only have a plain cake but I am afraid that the Tira Misu caught my eye. Despite Ross being on a diet- I got him a pastry- but it was only a small one. Wasn't quick enough for the Mince PIE or the apple turnover with the other two but this is what todays ride was about

tiramisu.jpg

Ride back was uneventfull but Ross had a puncture. No problem but the pump was not set up properly for presta valves and the glue had dried up in the tube of the repair kit. New tube and we were on our way.

Those roads were wet. So was Martyn by the time we got back but that is his fault. He kept taking the dry line avoiding the puddles which the rest of us weren't. If he wanted to stay dry then fine- But I think he made the wrong choice this morning. Plus the fact that we looked at is as intervals to let him get just far enough ahead to think he was safe. Then accelerating past him in the puddles and bunny hopping at just the right time to soak him. One of these days he will get his own back and then we will be in trouble.

The knee held up fine so I think cycling is safe for the future. Not even any extra pain but I am afraid that it might mean a new saddle for the MTB if I am ging to ride it more often. 25 miles and I ache in the wrong place to sit down comfortably.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-17-10, 10:24 AM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Congrats on the knee and Tira Misu. I was happy with a couple donuts this morning til I read your post. Durn you Step. JK

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.