Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Too cold to ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Too cold to ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-10, 08:48 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too cold to ride

The temp here in NW TN is 8º right now. Weather report said we broke a record for this area. This is the 9th day in a row that the temp has not risen above the freezing mark.
Old 01-09-10, 09:33 AM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Of late, we are just glad to see positive numbers on the thermometer here. I'm still riding though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010387.jpg (98.1 KB, 35 views)
P1010397.jpg (94.4 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by billydonn; 01-09-10 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-09-10, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Nichols
The temp here in NW TN is 8º right now. Weather report said we broke a record for this area. This is the 9th day in a row that the temp has not risen above the freezing mark.
I share your pain, but I have not been on the saddle since 12/6/09, that's more than a month now since temps, ice and snow became deterrent for me. If we ever get 20º +, I'll go for a ride as long as no snow and ice.
Old 01-09-10, 04:03 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Last ride was on the MTB in 20f temps. Bit of snow on the trails but I succumbed to the Ice on the road getting to the trails.

Lots more snow about right now- but will be out tomorrow on the Mountain bike again. Don't know how far or for how long but if I don't get out on a bike soon- The cat is going through the closed garage door.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-09-10, 04:15 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Last ride was on the MTB in 20f temps. Bit of snow on the trails but I succumbed to the Ice on the road getting to the trails.

Lots more snow about right now- but will be out tomorrow on the Mountain bike again. Don't know how far or for how long but if I don't get out on a bike soon- The cat is going through the closed garage door.
Hope it's not white!
Old 01-09-10, 04:19 PM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Thanks for the motivation to get out tomorrow.. It's presently about 35 with the morning low to be about 28.. Think hearing for others it's 8 give me motivation . Good winter gloves, winter socks, a glove liner, shoe covers, a winter jacket, two bacalavas.. I might get too hot.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 01-09-10, 05:01 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
Of late, we are just glad to see positive numbers on the thermometer here. I'm still riding though!
Do you get chilled riding that close to the windows

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-09-10, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Nichols
Too cold to ride the road certainly and 8 is pretty cold, especially for you southerners that see 90 all summer.

I started mt. biking 20 years ago, pretty much ONLY in the fall and winter, as there's too many ticks here on Long Island to go into the woods in the summer. Then it's on the road bike till the trails freeze.

The best time - in my mind, to mt. bike, is 20 - 25 degrees, no snow so the trails are rock hard and fast. Today was almost perfect - 18, with a light dusting that made for decent traction. I've been down as low as 5, but that gets you chilled quick, with the biggest problem keeping the feet warm and still use SPD's.

We did a nite ride last week - 18 again with a 40 mph NW wind. THAT was a cold ride, and being in the woods in the cold makes it seem colder yet.

But then I think about all those folks who live in Wisconsin and such that ride and commute all damned winter in below zero. That's endurance !.

SB
Old 01-09-10, 06:26 PM

Bikes: dawes, schwinn, kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I last rode on Jan 7th ... It was 35F with 20 MPH winds. Still some icy sections of the MUT, so there were several places I had to portage the bike. I did not ride at all last Winter, and I think it was milder.. just lazy I guess. I am trying to get out several times a week even if only for one hour. I lurk in the Winter Cycling forum to gain insights and inspiration. Retirement means I can do anything my wife wants me to!

It may make it to 40 on Monday.. so if not tomorrow, then Monday for sure.

Stay Warm,

Pete
Old 01-09-10, 06:41 PM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I truly feel for you folks around the country and world suffering from the ravages of old man winter. As I was getting in my 36 miles today in the 70° and blue skies I reflected on the blessings of living in a cycling friendly climate. Sometimes I complain about a little wind, then I think "it could be worse...a lot worse"
Old 01-09-10, 07:12 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
it's going to be 4 degrees somtime in the next couple of days. that's just funny. next week when I ride again it will be in the 20s. so glad it will be warmer. hahahaha
Old 01-09-10, 09:21 PM
dolce far niente

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon, Dura Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dec through Feb is Too Cold Too Ride
Old 01-09-10, 09:38 PM
Freddin' it

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I HATE cold weather, but ride anyway. My wife says I'm cranky if I don't. My threshold is about 10 degrees colder this winter than before. I'm out the door once it hits 10 degrees. Trick for me was putting platform pedals on my old mountain bike (and road tires), so I can wear light snow boots. If it's headed anywhere north of 20 degrees, though, I'm still taking the Roubaix with neoprene booties.

In all endeavors there will always be a gap between what we can do and what we're willing to do. The personal importance of the endeavor determines the breadth of the gap.
Old 01-09-10, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
The temperature got up to 19 today in northwest Arkansas. Allegedly, it will get above 32 tomorrow after a low of 2 tonight. My first "ride" of the year was today... on the stationary bike in the exercise room

Maybe tomorrow or Monday on two wheels in the great out of doors.
Old 01-09-10, 10:41 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5465 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Tomorrow is supposed to be around 20 in the St. Louis area. I'm getting up early and heading for some singletrack.
Old 01-10-10, 01:50 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam

Did get out but it was cold.
Attached Images
posing.jpg (36.3 KB, 26 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 01-10-10, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
As much as I hate to tell you this, I will anyway; Get a trainer. Riding indoors in front of the TV sucks, but it fills the need.
Old 01-10-10, 06:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I couldn't wait to get out today and ditch the trainer. 28F, sunny and no winds. Beautiful day except for the summer shoes. I could only go 1.5 hours. I will have to invest in winter shoes next year. With my luck next winter will average 50F after I get the winter shoes.
Old 01-10-10, 06:31 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I went out this morning and it was 32 degrees, got back after 20 miles and it was 36. Yes it was cold.
Old 01-10-10, 06:50 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
TWO WORDS! Vegas Vacation. Its gonna be in the 60s all week.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 01-10-10, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been really crappy here as well... rode a bit the last several days, and only problem is, the old hardtail mtb has no fenders....and the slush on the streets creates a mess...been driving to,close to the Cherry Creek MUP which is clear and getting in some miles there,,
did get some miles in in the low teens (ºF) and got the clothing issue clairified...now gotta work on the wetness thing...supposed to be in the 50º range the next few days, so maybe it will melt and dry up a bit...will ride downtown to play 3 cushion billiards with the guys..
Bud
Old 01-10-10, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
It's been cold here in NYC too. Low to mid 20's. I haven't ridden since the end of Nov. I'm going to put a couple of the gift cards I got over the holidays towards a pair of winter riding shoes tomorrow. I've been itching to ride every week since the last ride but it seems to usually be either windy or precipitating on the days when I have the time to get out.
Old 01-10-10, 10:29 PM

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Salsa Journeyman, 05 specialized stumpjumper full susp.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, it's chilly here in AZ mountains, and sometimes quite cold (below zero, yes, really!) Question: With my current pair of tights my legs can take it down to about 35 or 40 degrees. The rest of me I can layer up so I'm quite comfortable for the first part of the ride. But once I get sweaty, I start heading home because I begin to feel very chilled. I usually make only about 10 miles by the time this happens.

I don't have this happen when hiking or cross country skiing, I guess because I am going slower, less wind chill? I can hike or ski for many hours when it's really cold, but on the bike when it isn't even all that cold (40 isn't really very cold, after all) I just feel chilled and slow and unhappy. I have really tried to toughen up and ride in the cold, but I just don't enjoy it that much. Any suggestions? I can't afford the indoor trainer right now, and it also sounds awfully boring.
Old 01-11-10, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by azbackpackr
The rest of me I can layer up so I'm quite comfortable for the first part of the ride. But once I get sweaty, I start heading home because I begin to feel very chilled. I usually make only about 10 miles by the time this happens.

Any suggestions? I can't afford the indoor trainer right now, and it also sounds awfully boring.
You could try some wind tights. The front of the leg has an outer layer of some sort of material which minimizes air movement to the inside. I broke mine out yesterday. It was 32 degrees out. I wore my wind tights over my leg warmers, and it worked.

For the torso, I use layers as you described with my wind jacket on the outside. If I start to get too warm, I start unzipping zippers here and there to get a little ventilation. My layers are comprised of wicking fabrics. So far, so good.

I tried Toasti Toes toe warmers yesterday for the first time. They work.

I'm not a fan of cold weather or indoor "riding" either, so I try to get out as much as possible. This includes night rides after work during the winter. Summer cannot come soon enough.
Old 01-11-10, 09:04 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by azbackpackr
Ok, it's chilly here in AZ mountains, and sometimes quite cold (below zero, yes, really!) Question: With my current pair of tights my legs can take it down to about 35 or 40 degrees. The rest of me I can layer up so I'm quite comfortable for the first part of the ride. But once I get sweaty, I start heading home because I begin to feel very chilled. I usually make only about 10 miles by the time this happens.

I don't have this happen when hiking or cross country skiing, I guess because I am going slower, less wind chill? I can hike or ski for many hours when it's really cold, but on the bike when it isn't even all that cold (40 isn't really very cold, after all) I just feel chilled and slow and unhappy. I have really tried to toughen up and ride in the cold, but I just don't enjoy it that much. Any suggestions? I can't afford the indoor trainer right now, and it also sounds awfully boring.
This is something that I wear.https://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1043948_-1___
I wear a wicking long sleeve training shirt over a t shirt with a long sleeve jersey over that and that pretty much does it for me. If it's below 30 I'll wear my rain jacket. You have to kind of watch with the rain jacket though. I have one that breaths and I still get hot with it. If I start to sweat, I roll it up and put it in my Jersey pocket. It works for me anyhow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.