Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    '13 Felt Z3, '08 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And then the rains came....

Been living in a drought for about 3 or 4 years now and, finally, this month, the much promised El Nino has apparently delivered. We've been getting pounded all week -heavy rains, high winds, thunderstorms, hail- and it's gone a long way toward catching us up. It also means not a lot of time -OK... any- time on the road. It's a shame, too... I've had my Jamis for just over a year now and I've never been happy with the way the 105 FD shifted. I knew 105 quality was better than that but I just couldn't get it right. So, finally, I gave up and grabbed the instructions from the Shimano site and just started from scratch. Took the cable off, lowered the clamp, twisted it a little straighter and dial in all the stops for the STI. Hooked the cable back up and... oh yeah! It seems better but how can I really tell? I can't take the bike out in this weather. So I resorted to the trainer -figuring it would be better than no riding at all- and the thing shifts like butter now. Smooth, easy, predictable... and in a break in the rain, I took it out front and rode in circles to see if it would behave the same there. YES!! Can't wait to go for a real ride (maybe Saturday). There is something so indescribably satisfying in dialing in your own bike. It brings back happy memories of being my Dad's mechanic in his shop.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave up on the bikes and am working on an ark. I figure I'll bring two of each type of bike along to repopulate the fleet after the water subsides.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're certainly getting our share down here...but nothing like the bay area. Hunker down!
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indoor training is one of my least favorite things to do. I am looking to Saturday with hope. To tell the truth I actually looked at fenders at the LBS yesterday. I am not likely to get them even for the Jamis and never for the Lapierre but it might be a possibility for the old Steel Trek. Then again even with them I am not a wet weather rider.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put fenders on my Rockhopper last week. I'll ride on wet streets but not in the rain.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No fenders for me, I'll just live with the spray.
    I'll ride wet streets and rain if it's not miserably heavy (Mrs S bought a nice rice cape for me).
    This week though has been another category altogether, though, as far as rain goes. Nuh-uh. Not for me.
    But I am just DYING to road test that FD.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding in rain is no big deal as long as I can stay warm unless it is coming down so hard that I can't see or be seen. Sometimes it is actually fun. Fenders are great if you need to stay fairly clean and dry while you ride, like for commuting or traveling. If I am doing a ride for exercise or sport, I can deal with getting wet and having the wet dirty stripe up my back, so no need for fenders.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After rain all week, today is supposed to be a huge flood day in SoCal...we'll see.
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't trust the cars on the road Dawg...I barely can trust them in perfect driving conditions!
    Mark

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same story for the Vegas Valley. Looks like its here for at least another week. Stupid recumbent stationary is gonna get some sweat on it. Where's the TV guide?
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problemo!
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad someone else is getting damp.

Rain rides- no problem............Wind- no problem..............Wind and rain forget it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice sun, most of the snow is gone. Warm enough to turn the woods into mud...........cold mud. Went hiking instead. I do hope though that none of you in California has a house sliding into the sea. Watched that on the news and it looks scary.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just realised that SKT probably doesn't have any rain gear. It would not be one of my priorities for clothing if I lived in his area. So wrap up warm and when you do get wet- remember you will get cold. Don't do any 50 milers till it dries out.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But no one wants to talk about the joys of maintaining one's own bike?

As for sliding into the ocean, no danger of that where I'm at but, if you're seeing any news about the Esplanade Apartments, they're close. I can see them from my house.
    They are soon to be gone I'm afraid.

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    But no one wants to talk about the joys of maintaining one's own bike?
    Esplanade Apartments, they're close. I can see them from my house.
    They are soon to be gone I'm afraid.
    SaiKaiTai - are you talking about the Esplanade apartments in San Jose? - I live downtown (and have been commuting to work and back on a bike all week this week). It has been moist and breezy, but not that bad.....

As to your comments on adjusting your Fder - having a hard time relating to that, my commuter has no Fder

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me there are not many joys in maintaining a bike. It is just the thing I do naturally after a bike ride. If anything has caused a problem on the ride- I investigate while cleaning and checking the bike. Gears not changing properly? a bit of adjustment and they are fine. Brake squeal come on and it is probably contaminated blocks so clean and rub down before taking for a quick test ride. In this way the bike is always ready to go after taking out of the rafters and pumping up the tyres.

So why have I got the FD cable on two bikes that is fraying? The bar tape on one bike is lifting in one spot and really should be changed. and the pile of tubes that need repair is growing again.

Perhaps I ought to take time out to maintain the bikes again- but I only did that at christmas. Still got to change those cables sometime though. But as they have been fraying since the middle of last year and everything still works- It can wait a bit longer.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No danger of sliding into the ocean for me either. On the other hand, all this SoCal rain has given me many hours of fun in the garage, working on bikes.

I just rebuilt a Neuvation wheel last night (for my Ti GT); amazingly easy to get it true, dished and round.
    Thanks goes out to John Neugent of Neuvation Cycles for the warranty replacement rim!

Two evenings ago I swithched some cranksets around, taking the newish triple off my 853 GT and putting it on my Mercian touring bike.

The crankset that was on the Mercian needs to go on ebay. The Ultegra compact crank that I took off the Calfee two years ago, I installed on my 853 GT.

This evening I will start on the alloy wheels for my wife's 3-speed. One good thing about a fleet of bikes around the house; you're never at a loss for something to do on them!

My touring bike does have fenders, and I have all the proper clothing for riding in the rain, but I have a new Brooks saddle on that bike, and I don't want to get it soaking wet, esp. since I don't have any Proofide on it yet! I really should buy a waterproof cover for it . . .

Rick / OCRR

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not used to so many days in a row. But I don’t want to seem like I am whining about it. I just have absolutely no interest in riding in the rain or on wet streets. I have been working on my bikes however and I have even ordered some new bits and pieces for the Jamis and Lapierre.
    I can look at the bright side and realize my legs are getting the end of season rest I haven’t given them in a while. Even if the cross training in the gym is making different mussels stiff. But I have been working on getting ready for the Bull Dog at Camp Pendleton at the end of February and the Tour De Palm Springs on the 13th. So I am ready for this rain to stop.

I fully understand about the FD being adjusted. When I built the Lapierre it took weeks before I got the FD right and I ended up having the LBS help me. When I put the Jamis together I got the FD right after one test ride and took it on a Coffee Shop ride the next day. It shifted great.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sauerwald View Post
    SaiKaiTai - are you talking about the Esplanade apartments in San Jose? - I live downtown (and have been commuting to work and back on a bike all week this week). It has been moist and breezy, but not that bad.....
    No, I forgot about there being Esplanade Apts in San Jose. These are in Pacifica... quite a bit older than yours, I think.
    They've made quite the news over the past couple of months. They even made the news in Boca in December!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    I am not used to so many days in a row. But I don’t want to seem like I am whining about it.
    Not used to it? Hahahaha... must be a newcomer.
    Then, in SoCal, about you guys know about rain is what you get from us.
    It *does* rain here. Usually. We do have these worrisome dry spells though.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    I fully understand about the FD being adjusted. When I built the Lapierre it took weeks before I got the FD right and I ended up having the LBS help me. When I put the Jamis together I got the FD right after one test ride and took it on a Coffee Shop ride the next day. It shifted great.
    Yeah, it's funny. I had to replace the FD bracket on my Giant last year and the FD adjusted beautifully on the first try. Haven't had to touch it since.
    The Jamis took a couple, three tries. But I started the Giant from scratch (like a new install) which I didn't do with the Jamis until this last try.
    There's a lesson in there somewhere

My Bikes
    2008 Trek FX 7.1, 1984 Fuji Esprit, 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got last year's Jamis Aurora Elite and I love it. But I'm still pretty much a newbie and have been reluctant to do a lot of the maintenance. I took it by the LBS for a tune up and asked them if they had a class for some of the maintenance. I figure I can pretty much noodle through how to do most things on my own but I still lack the confidence that I'm doing things 100 percent correct.

By the way, have you seen this year's model? They've downgraded the components but they've added disc brakes and a rack. In the catalog, they are marketing it as the ultimate commuter. That was certainly the case with me. I didn't intend to commute when I bought it, but I couldn't get enough riding in on weekdays. Hope you post a riding report once things dry out.

My Bikes
    Scott CR 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CACycling View Post
    I gave up on the bikes and am working on an ark. I figure I'll bring two of each type of bike along to repopulate the fleet after the water subsides.
    Remember the Ark measurements are in cubits not cm.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate getting my fenders all wet.

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, if we waited for a dry day to ride 'round these here parts, there wouldn't be much use for a cycling forum.

Fenders are de rigueur.
    VeloWeb | VeloWebLog

"The bicycle is the noblest invention of mankind." ~William Saroyan

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I always thought dudes from Southern California were a bunch of wimps! Here in the Pac Northwest, we are hard men (and women) who ride every day regardless of rain or snow or wind or whatever. We could care less about fenders ruining the prissy lines of our oh-so-delicate bikes. You have to enjoy riding in the rain if you want to ride up here.

Two points about the mechanical issues:
    1. In less than one typical BC winter I can destroy any bike parts designed and built by wimp Californians who have never ridden in real world conditions, and this includes Phil Wood.
    2. The component durability issues connected with riding in heavy rain day after day likely contributes to the popularity of fixed gear bikes around here. At least there are no derailleurs to get damaged. It's bad enough having to replace brake pads every 500 km, and having tires self-destruct through rotting of the sidewall just above the bead. But this is stuff you wimp Canlifornians have no idea about. Maybe now you just might, heh, heh...

Luis (who used to live in Berkeley and Oakland)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast