Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 01-21-10, 02:59 PM   #1
NOS88

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Full Kit & Smoking a Pipe.. longish

On today's ride I saw a rider crossing the intersection in front of me. He was wearing a full kit (from one of the LBS teams in the region) and smoking a pipe. I got a whiff of the tobacco he was smoking and decided to try and catch up with him. It smelled just like the tobacco my father smoked. I'll always remember the smell of his pipe because he only smoked it under two circumstances. The first was late at night after my mother was asleep or when he was angry because I or one of my brothers had done something wrong. Let me tell you, you learned to avoid going into the house when you could smell that tobacco burning!

So, I caught up with the rider and said, that pipe smoke smells like my father's, a combination of Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish and Captain Black. He looked over at me and said, "Not, bad. It's Borkum Riff and Sail Aromatic." Now as I mentioned this guy was in full kit smoking a pipe. He was also riding a Schwinn green Continental with the stem mounted stick shifters. It must have been 30 years old. I said, "Not often I meet someone in full kit, smoking a pipe and riding and old Schwinn." He looked over and, I'm guessing the gray in my beard gave me away, said: "You don't look to be no spring chicken." I lowered my head, gently shook it and softly chuckled. He then said, "But anyhow we ain't met yet. My name's Samuel, not Sam, not Sammy, Samuel." I responded, "Samuel, my name's Bradley, not Brad, not Bradford, Bradley." Now it was his turn to chuckle.

Well, we rode on for about 6 more miles before he turned off. Here's what I learned. Samuel was 80 years old, could ride at 14 to 16 mph all day long (which I believe to be true based on the clip we rode that 6 miles together), only smoked his pipe while riding, because his wife didn't want him to smoke and she didn't ride. So he could "get away with it", he carried packets of SenSen (which brought back a whole different set of memories for me) to hide the smell. He said the wind from riding kept the smoke smell out of his hair and off his clothes. He'd been smoking a pipe for over 50 years, and he'd been riding and smoking for at least 25 of those, maybe more. He couldn't remember exactly.

I'm am more than ever convinced that genetics are very powerful. If I were to try the smoking and riding thing, there's no way I'd still be alive, let along cruising along like Samuel was. What a character. I am so glad that I ride a bike and get to have experiences like this one. What a treat.
Old 01-21-10, 03:04 PM   #2
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
LOL What a great story! My Grandfather smoked a pipe and I think of him every time I smell that smell!
miss kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 03:35 PM   #3
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I still have my Pipe somewhere in the garage. It still has the aroma of the St. Bruno Tobacco I used to smoke in it and every time I smell it- I remember why I gave up smoking.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 03:53 PM   #4
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I hope I can ride that fast when (if) I get to be that age, in 20 years . . . I doubt I'll take up pipe smoking, and I'm sure I won't ride an old Schwinn Continental, but still . . . !

Good to hear Samuel is still out there riding!

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 04:06 PM   #5
Louis

Bikes:
Good story. I think being somewhat eccentric is another reason Samuel is doing so well at his age.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 06:12 PM   #6
DX-MAN
Banned

Bikes:
Pipes, cigars -- they have so much more character and aroma than those damned cigarettes! Used to indulge in both, long long ago.... Guess his 'eccentricity' is part of his longevity, yes, Louis.

There are things that remind us, for good or bad, of those ol' home memories. Mine is my dad's hammer (no, not the Bundy hammer!); every time I use it (about half the time, I have another really good one), it's like shaking my dad's hand again. NOBODY else gets to use that hammer, either!
DX-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 07:56 PM   #7
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
That is a great, great story. Another reason to ride!
Old 01-22-10, 07:18 AM   #8
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Great story of an interesting encounter. Thanks. Many people around here aren't sociable at all while riding.
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 12:06 PM   #9
leob1

Bikes:
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
At 80 years old, and still riding, he can do it however he wants. If he had a pipe and some whiskey in his water bottle, I'm cool with that.
You didn't taste his water did you?
leob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 12:19 PM   #10
SneakyKing

Bikes: 2009 Gary Fisher Paragon, 2008 Trek fuel EX 6.5, 2005 Giant XTC, 2006 Fuji Team, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix Fixie
Quote:
Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
At 80 years old, and still riding, he can do it however he wants. If he had a pipe and some whiskey in his water bottle, I'm cool with that.
You didn't taste his water did you?
haha it was definitely whiskey. I'm pretty sure I would get winded quickly if I tried smoking and riding at the same time.
SneakyKing is offline   Reply With Quote