Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   How many of you do birthday rides? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/616873-how-many-you-do-birthday-rides.html)

tarwheel 01-22-10 08:46 AM

How many of you do birthday rides?

That is, how many of try to ride your age in miles around your birthday? I usually attempt a birthday ride every year, but the weather often rules it out since I was born on Jan. 19, 1954. It's also getting harder and harder as I get older each year. I came very close this year, riding 53 miles on the day before my birthday. I figured that was close enough and didn't feel like riding loops around the neighborhood just to get 3 more miles.

My most memorable attempt was about 4 years ago when I talked my friends into riding a 52-mile loop on the Saturday near my birthday. The weather appeared to be good -- cloudy but warm for January and no rain in the forecast. Unfortunately, the forecasters had it all wrong and it started raining hard about 20 miles into the ride. My friends decided to call it quits and we looped back, ending up with about 35 miles. The temperature dropped about 10 degrees and we were all cold and soaked. I haven't been able to talk my friends into trying another birthday ride with me since then.

A couple of years ago I got lucky on an early-January ride that was supposed to be about 40 miles. The ride leader made some wrong turns and we ended up riding about 56 miles, but the weather was warm and sunny so nobody minded.

BluesDawg 01-22-10 09:00 AM

With my 50th birthday I started riding my age in miles plus one to grow on as close to my birthday as possible. I am lucky that the weather is usually very good for riding here in early October. At 54 I haven't missed riding on or within a few days of my birthday so far.

kr32 01-22-10 09:02 AM

Having only been riding now for the last two birthdays. I have.

This years will be 58 miles and in October the weather has been pretty nice so far, cool when I start and warming up a little by the time I finish.

Rick@OCRR 01-22-10 09:03 AM

Fortunately for me, the Solvang Double Century usually falls either on or very near my birthday. So, unless I live beyond 200 (yeah, I know, impossible!), I get my birthday miles in with a few bonus miles on top.

http://www.planetultra.com/solvang/index.html

Rick / OCRR

NOS88 01-22-10 09:06 AM

Yeah, I do them. This year, however, didn't pan out all that well, as noted in an earlier thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-t-get-it-done

kr32 01-22-10 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 10303584)
Yeah, I do them. This year, however, didn't pan out all that well, as noted in an earlier thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-t-get-it-done

Oh yeah the 50+ pounds of stuff you wanted to carry :rolleyes: I remember that thread.

You're are all healed now so within 58 days you can finish and "get-it-done!!!:innocent:

Whiteknight 01-22-10 09:28 AM

I do but not on my birthday. I turned 68 on January 15th. Last year I did 70 miles in one day in April. Did 67 plus 3 in case the computer was a bit slow. This year I will do 70 to 75 miles. I am getting the urge to do 100 miles in one day.

I do cheat a bit in this. I use the asphalt paved Schuylkill River Trail at Betzwood. Run from Pawlings Road to Norristown and back. Just doing this until I have the desired mileage in for the day. No big hills.

Louis 01-22-10 09:30 AM

I do them sometimes, depending on motivation. My birthday is September 22, perfect for NE Ohio bicycling.

Recycle 01-22-10 10:15 AM

I ride my age (67 last year ) to celebrate my birthday within a week or so of my mid Sept birthday. I ride that distance ,+/- a few miles, at other times during the year, but then it's just because I want to get somewhere.

Metric Man 01-22-10 10:27 AM

Yes I do. Luckily mine is in June so it's easier. But I do have to move it to the closest Saturday on occasion because of work scheduling.

donheff 01-22-10 11:45 AM

I did the last two years (60 and 61).

Robert Foster 01-22-10 11:50 AM

I do my birthday ride as well as most of the ones of my group. This year I can ride my age and do a metric centery.

DnvrFox 01-22-10 11:57 AM

Personally, I think the birthday ride should be 100 - your age!! I think that more and more as I get over 70!! :lol:

Given my back problems and family situation, I haven't done a birthday ride in several years.

big john 01-22-10 12:19 PM

I've thought about when my age would be a challenge in miles, it's not yet. I've ridden 3 centuries this month and may do another one tomorrow, so 56 miles in April is probably doable.
Maybe when I'm 65 it will be tough to do 65 miles. I hope not.
One of my friends was having a century ride for his b-day every year and it rained for most of them. He moved away, so we're off the hook for the rain century.

George 01-22-10 12:30 PM

I did my 68 miles for my 68th birthday, but I'm 69 now and if I do it fine, if not Oh well, that's fine too.

Allegheny Jet 01-22-10 12:31 PM

I try to but Feb. 26 riding conditions are unpredictable in NE Ohio. I do plan to ride the 57 miles on this years B Day as a sign of recovery from my December 1st ankle fusion surgery.

prxmid 01-22-10 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet (Post 10304403)
I try to but Feb. 26 riding conditions are unpredictable in NE Ohio. I do plan to ride the 57 miles on this years B Day as a sign of recovery from my December 1st ankle fusion surgery.

Mines February 25th, so what is the "Official Birthday Ride Consortiums" policy on making it an official ride if one's birthday occurs in the dead of winter

doctor j 01-22-10 01:15 PM

I try to get the annual b'day ride in as close to the birthday as possible. Birthday is IN May, so weather is not so much of a concern.

rck 01-22-10 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 10303656)
I do them sometimes, depending on motivation. My birthday is September 22, perfect for NE Ohio bicycling.

You, me, frodo, and bilbo! Only I don't think that they bike.

Beverly 01-22-10 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by prxmid (Post 10304436)
Mines February 25th, so what is the "Official Birthday Ride Consortiums" policy on making it an official ride if one's birthday occurs in the dead of winter

We winter babies should be able to choose a time of year to do our birthday ride:thumb:

I've been doing a birthday ride since the mid 90's and have never done it on my birthday. January in Ohio doesn't have a lot of good riding days. We have a local ride on the 4th of July and I often use it to do my birthday miles.

sknhgy 01-22-10 03:12 PM

I'll be 55 on Sunday Feb. 21st. Will do my ride on the Katy or Vadalabene trail unless the weather is too bad. No reason to suffer.

wobblyoldgeezer 01-22-10 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by tarwheel (Post 10303506)
That is, how many of try to ride your age in miles around your birthday?

Hey Mr Tarwheel

We almost have a birthday in common - I'm April 7 1954

I like the idea of 'ride your age', and have done so since chancing upon this forum a while ago

And I've been trying to 'ride my age' not on a single ride but 'per week' on the gym bike since I had some broken bones last October

And I fully hope that they'll be healed enough to ride my 56 miles on April 7 2010 on a proper bike. (Actually, I'd like to do it on the cool folder that I fell off, just to put a ghost to rest)

I guess it doesn't matter a bit, apart from the symbolism that, to me and possibly to others, becomes iconic

Safe and happy miles to you

kabersch 01-22-10 03:46 PM

I haven't done one before, but I intend to start this year. My birthday is in early May. Great bicycling weather that time of year in the Phoenix area. I'm sure I can get my twin brother to go with me. That's 110 miles combined (I think I'll only do my half, though).

cranky old dude 01-22-10 05:45 PM

The third week in June works well, lucky me. I'll do a minimum of 59 miles this year within a week or two of the Big Day (lotsa driving around that time of the year due to moving college age daughters to and fro).

The area recumbent group usually runs a century the following weekend which may become my annual Birthday ride. :recum:

This year will be my third consecutive Ride my Age - Birthday Day ride.

Psycolist 01-22-10 05:51 PM

Not a concept or idea that had occured to me but wot a good'n. I was born in march so family,work and weather permitting i shall give it a go....Thanx for the idea