Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm BAAAAaaaaacccckkkkk

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I'm BAAAAaaaaacccckkkkk

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-10, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm BAAAAaaaaacccckkkkk

We'll I took my first ride of the year today, and the first ride since last Memorial Day when I broke my kneecap. It was only 5.41 miles, with a few hills mixed in (one of which, I admit, I walked), but under doctor's orders I'm supposed to take it easy.

It made it up to 52F today, cloudy and dreary, but I figured it was an opportunity not to be missed. I met one other group of about seven riders, so I guess I wasn't the only one to feel that way.

The knee feels good. I bought a pair of those hard plastic kneepads that the skateboarders and mountain bikers wear, as pretty much one more big bang on that kneecap and the knives come out.

The last X-ray of the kneecap showed some new bone growth in the crack, but it also showed that the piece that broke off (outside of the left kneecap, and the crack runs straight in from front to rear) did not knit back on perfectly in alignment with the rest. There's a little bit of an edge that may cause trouble from being pushed against the end of the femur. At this point it's a waiting game to see if I have any pain or other symptoms. Actually I had more discomfort out of the OTHER set of quads.

Temperature-wise I was pretty comfortable. I wore bike shorts with polypro underwear over them, then a set of sweatpants and a pair of windpants over that. I wore the polypro underwear top, a long sleeve jersey, and a rain jacket. I put the rain cover on my helmet, and wore a headband with earflaps. On my hands I wore a pair of Pear Izumi knit gloves with a pair of wool "gripper" gloves from Walmart over that. Actually the gloves worked great, as this is just about the first time I bicycled in cool weather when my hands DIDN'T get cold.

My only complaint with so many layers, being 57 years old, is by the time I get 'em all all on I decide I hafta pee!
Old 01-23-10, 02:41 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome back.

Sure hope all goes well.
Old 01-23-10, 04:34 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Memorial Day! And I thought my injury was nasty.

I'm glad you are riding again. I hope that your healing progression continues. Please continue to let us all know how it's going.
Old 01-23-10, 07:43 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad to hear you your riding again. Sounds like the knee pads are good insurance. Have fun and be careful.
Old 01-23-10, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Good to see you back. Take it slow...but take it.
Old 01-24-10, 11:33 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...the piece that broke off (outside of the left kneecap, and the crack runs straight in from front to rear) did not knit back on perfectly in alignment with the rest. There's a little bit of an edge that may cause trouble from being pushed against the end of the femur.
Shoot. An X-Acto knife, a Dremel, and some vodka or whisky (small batch Bourbon, perhaps?) is all you need to fix 'er up.

Seriously - glad it's not stopping you!