Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-10, 07:58 PM   #1
jppe
Let's do a Century
Thread Starter
 
jppe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North Carolina
Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Posts: 6,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Do whiskers grow faster when you cycle/exercise???

Mine seem much heavier today after clocking 5-6 hours on the bike today.

Oh wait, I think I just forgot to shave this morning-I guess we can add it to the list.
__________________
Ride your Ride!!
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-10, 08:05 PM   #2
buelito
train safe
 
buelito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reston, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
do like many others on this page-- grow it out, then you don't have to worry about it growing in faster or slower...

train safe-
buelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-10, 08:21 PM   #3
BengeBoy 
Senior Member
 
BengeBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...then you can qualify for a recumbent.
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-10, 08:23 PM   #4
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,486
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Hmmm.

I'm contemplating buying a recumbent so I've been lurking a lot on the recumbent forum. They keep telling me that recombents are more comfortable to ride so they ride more. Do you suppose that's what makes their beards grow out?
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-10, 11:18 PM   #5
BluesDawg
just keep riding
 
BluesDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milledgeville, Georgia
Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Posts: 13,211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Hmmm.

I'm contemplating buying a recumbent so I've been lurking a lot on the recumbent forum. They keep telling me that recombents are more comfortable to ride so they ride more. Do you suppose that's what makes their beards grow out?
Could be all that fertilizer.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-10, 11:49 PM   #6
unixpro
Laid back bent rider
 
unixpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Burien, WA
Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20
Posts: 1,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We only gather fertilizer when we're stuck behind roadies

I think my beard (as required for all male 'bent riders) gets thicker when I ride, but I also think it's because sweat (as is also required, I'm......stout and sweat a lot) gathers. Kind of like your hair feels dirtier after a workout.

+ + =

The math speaks for itself!
unixpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 12:21 AM   #7
Louis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 4,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
Could be all that fertilizer.
Brutal!




Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 02:57 AM   #8
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I get the feeling that it is the reverse. Only took up riding 20 years ago and since then- my beard has got thinner- My scalp started showing through my hair aswell but nasal and ear hair has got darker and more prolific.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 04:14 AM   #9
Laserman
Senior Member
 
Laserman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Bikes: 15 Specialized Crosstrail, 83 Schwinn Traveller, Fuji Sport
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
Mine seem much heavier today after clocking 5-6 hours on the bike today.
Yes! Especially if you have been eating pizza.
It's a well know fact that the polypeptides and peptones generated by the mixture of melted cheese and pepperoni are conducive to the growth of hair, bacteria and various fungi.
Laserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 07:24 AM   #10
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,486
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
I get the feeling that it is the reverse. Only took up riding 20 years ago and since then- my beard has got thinner- My scalp started showing through my hair aswell but nasal and ear hair has got darker and more prolific.
Me too. I'm thinking that I have the same amount of hair that I always did. It just grows in different places.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 07:25 AM   #11
Trsnrtr
Nefarious Reprobate
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Bikes: Colnago CX, Giant Propel, Spec. Roubaix Pro, Co-Motion Supremo
Posts: 7,588
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
It can appear that way from dehydration. I would think "5-6 hours on the bike" may qualify.
__________________
Dennis T
Trsnrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 07:28 AM   #12
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,486
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
Could be all that fertilizer.
Do you suppose that's why you don't see many recumbent mountain bikes? I mean, if you are sharing trails that are also used by horses some of that mud isn't mud and a recumbent puts the rider down closer to where the action is.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 08:05 AM   #13
buelito
train safe
 
buelito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reston, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixpro View Post
... Kind of like your hair feels dirtier after a workout.
what hair?!?!?!?!?!?!?
buelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 08:36 AM   #14
tarwheel 
Senior Member
 
tarwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 8,411
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
It can appear that way from dehydration. I would think "5-6 hours on the bike" may qualify.
Bingo. Dehydration can also make you look thinner. Unfortunately it doesn't last.
tarwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-10, 01:22 PM   #15
smoore
Senior Member
 
smoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hour north of Atlanta, Gainesville GA
Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.
Posts: 699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hate to take this too far afield....but when I was younger I had the distinct impression that my beard grew quicker within 24 hours of having sex. Always wondered if it had something to do with testosterone production, etc. Now that I've been married for 38 years well uh....nevermind.
smoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 12:34 AM   #16
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!
 
Tom Bombadil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Paoli, Wisconsin
Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Posts: 9,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore View Post
Hate to take this too far afield....but when I was younger I had the distinct impression that my beard grew quicker within 24 hours of having sex. Always wondered if it had something to do with testosterone production, etc. Now that I've been married for 38 years well uh....nevermind.
Now he never has to shave!

cue rimshot
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 03:04 AM   #17
Metzinger
Primate
 
Metzinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: gone
Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets
Posts: 2,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Blood supply to the skin increases during exercise. Also to body peripheral body parts, like fingernails, toenails, and hair follicles.
That's why they all seem to grow faster in the summer.
How's that for a hypothesis?
Metzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 05:28 AM   #18
Dellphinus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Illinois (near St. Louis)
Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's an illusion, like hair growing after you die- only looks that way because after death the body dehydrates, and the skin shrinks back, but whiskers, nails and hair don't, giving the illusion of growth.

When riding, the wind pushes your facial skin back, stretching it taught, and making the whiskers stick out more, giving the illusion of growth. Slow down, man!

Seriously, I've often wondered the same thing- beard seems heavier day after a good ride/training session.
Dellphinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 06:39 AM   #19
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Posts: 8,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I've never noticed the effect, myself. And I tend to ride pretty hard.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 09:52 AM   #20
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb
 
sknhgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Illinois
Bikes:
Posts: 2,621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Do you suppose that's why you don't see many recumbent mountain bikes? I mean, if you are sharing trails that are also used by horses some of that mud isn't mud and a recumbent puts the rider down closer to where the action is.
A recumbent mtb. Now that would be something to see.
sknhgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 12:45 PM   #21
Pat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Bikes: litespeed, cannondale
Posts: 2,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think that the matter has ever been investigated. There was a researcher who lived for 5 days per week out in the boonies by his lonesome. On the weekends, he would go into town and stay with his significant other. He had an electric razor. So he started weighing his beard clippings on a daily basis. He found that the beard clippings weight increased signficantly on the weekends. He attributed this to a rising level of testosterone. This was the first documentation of fluctuation of testorsterone levels in human males. I think he published the resulfs in Science (which is a REAL BIG DEAL). You could try it yourself.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 04:16 PM   #22
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!
 
Tom Bombadil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Paoli, Wisconsin
Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Posts: 9,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
A recumbent mtb. Now that would be something to see.
I have one of those. It has a spring suspension built into the frame, single track rims, disc brakes, very low gearing, and came with knobby tread tires. Not for highly technical trails, because you can't hop it over an obstacle, but it can handle a lot of bumps.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 01-26-10 at 04:23 PM.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 06:46 PM   #23
smoore
Senior Member
 
smoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hour north of Atlanta, Gainesville GA
Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.
Posts: 699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I don't think that the matter has ever been investigated. There was a researcher who lived for 5 days per week out in the boonies by his lonesome. On the weekends, he would go into town and stay with his significant other. He had an electric razor. So he started weighing his beard clippings on a daily basis. He found that the beard clippings weight increased signficantly on the weekends. He attributed this to a rising level of testosterone. This was the first documentation of fluctuation of testorsterone levels in human males. I think he published the resulfs in Science (which is a REAL BIG DEAL). You could try it yourself.

So I should tell my wife "this is for the sake of science"? Well....I've used every other excuse.
smoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 06:56 PM   #24
Closed Office
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Bikes:
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
I'm thinking that I have the same amount of hair that I always did. It just grows in different places.
Yep. It stops growing out of the top of your head and starts growing everywhere else. It's my eyebrows now that start blowing in the wind.

Last edited by Closed Office; 01-26-10 at 07:02 PM.
Closed Office is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 10:35 PM   #25
oilman_15106
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellphinus View Post
It's an illusion, like hair growing after you die- only looks that way because after death the body dehydrates, and the skin shrinks back, but whiskers, nails and hair don't, giving the illusion of growth.

When riding, the wind pushes your facial skin back, stretching it taught, and making the whiskers stick out more, giving the illusion of growth. Slow down, man!

Seriously, I've often wondered the same thing- beard seems heavier day after a good ride/training session.
Darn, thought the OP was on to something. Could start a Rogaine style bike company. Just think how many bikes you could sell if you could claim that cycling made your hair grow!!!!
oilman_15106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:12 AM.