I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dad wants a bike!

I'm returning home today from my mom's memorial service in Melbourne, Florida. It was a very special trip. The service was heartwarming and my dad did really well through it all.

Afterwards, at some point we were all talking and he was telling us about what he wanted to do next in his life (he's 86). There was talk of travel and such, and then he revealed that he'd been thinking of getting a bike.

Thinking I was being helpful, I began telling him of all the advances made in slick 3-wheel bikes, but he cut me off. He wants a 2-wheeler, dammit! I backed off and advised him to visit the nearest LBS whenever he was ready. I made the offer to do some internet research as well, although he's pretty savvy on the web and probably doesn't need my help.

I did tell him that there were lots of bikes these days that allow for the rider to put his feet on the ground easily while still seated, but he was concerned that these were all "girlie" bikes.

So, we'll see. I'd love to see him riding again (but worry about falls, since he has had dizzy spells in recent months). Most important, I love seeing him full of life, laugher, and making plans on how to write the next chapter in his life.

We're all going to miss Mom, he the most of all. I think that he thinks that putting some miles on a bike might be a good way to deal with lonliness.

I think he's right. And next year, I'm going to challenge him to ride his age on his birthday!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    I think he's right. And next year, I'm going to challenge him to ride his age on his birthday!
    Don't make any threats that you aren't prepared to carry out. Are YOU going to be up to riding your dad's age on his next birthday?

My Bikes
    Lynskey R230, S-Works Epic, Bianchi Speciale, Tricross Expert
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is great DG. My father just returned to riding a bike last summer at the age of 80. He zeroed in on the Trek Lime for some reason and loves the bike. I almost had the same feeling in the stomach when you first let go of your childs seat teaching them to ride. He is slow accumulating miles but he is up to about 10 now. He has no objectives or goals other than to stay right side up and quit when he is tired.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm returning home today from my mom's memorial service in Melbourne, Florida. It was a very special trip. The service was heartwarming and my dad did really well through it all.

Afterwards, at some point we were all talking and he was telling us about what he wanted to do next in his life (he's 86). There was talk of travel and such, and then he revealed that he'd been thinking of getting a bike.

Thinking I was being helpful, I began telling him of all the advances made in slick 3-wheel bikes, but he cut me off. He wants a 2-wheeler, dammit! I backed off and advised him to visit the nearest LBS whenever he was ready. I made the offer to do some internet research as well, although he's pretty savvy on the web and probably doesn't need my help.

I did tell him that there were lots of bikes these days that allow for the rider to put his feet on the ground easily while still seated, but he was concerned that these were all "girlie" bikes.

So, we'll see. I'd love to see him riding again (but worry about falls, since he has had dizzy spells in recent months). Most important, I love seeing him full of life, laugher, and making plans on how to write the next chapter in his life.

We're all going to miss Mom, he the most of all. I think that he thinks that putting some miles on a bike might be a good way to deal with lonliness.

Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    That is great DG. My father just returned to riding a bike last summer at the age of 80. He zeroed in on the Trek Lime for some reason and loves the bike. I almost had the same feeling in the stomach when you first let go of your childs seat teaching them to ride. He is slow accumulating miles but he is up to about 10 now. He has no objectives or goals other than to stay right side up and quit when he is tired.
    So now we have 50+, 65+........Very soon we need a Father/Son thread!!!
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    So now we have 50+, 65+........Very soon we need a Father/Son thread!!!
    +1

I am the father and my son is riding!

I think it is great that DG's dad wants to ride. I hope he watches out for those FL drivers!
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Life goes on!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you do the 86 mile birthday ride with you dad, try to sit on his wheel for the first 80 miles, if you can. Then as you whip around him, give him "the look" and drop him, if you can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .... I think that he thinks that putting some miles on a bike might be a good way to deal with lonliness.

It's good theraphy for him to ride a bike after his loss. He will be preoccupied plus keep him busy maintaining a healthy lifestyle. He may have to consider a trike if he's got balancing issue, safer for him but let him make the decision.

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread gave me an idea. I'm planning a ride with two of my grand children. I wonder what they'd think if I showed up on my trike? Might be fun to see their faces!

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG, do you think he could ride the orange (?) Peugeot grocery-getter you bought a while back?

My Bikes
    1953/54 Bianchi CdM, 63 Bianchi Record, 2~1968 Bianchi Record , 81 Raleigh Competition, 73 Italvega Nuovo Record , 76 Araya Randonneur, 72 Gitane Interclub, 87 Centurion Le Mans RS , 2008 Motobecane Hybrid, 86 Miyata 710, 91 Miyata Triple Cross
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I congradulate your dad on his decision. I just bought my dad a PUCH mixte that is pretty cool. I got it because he said he wanted to ride but did not want to be in the bent over position all the time.

I was glad to find this bike and I think it will be something that can be adjusted to his needs for comfort. You might just show your dad all of the different types ie Hybrid/Mixte/Road/Dirt bikes and let him figure out what he might be interested in as time goes on. Mention to him how important comfort is to the enjoyment of biking. I bet he will figure it out.

Link to a pictures of the PUCH mixte:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And of course, I feel obligated to suggest a recumbent. If he feels a dizzy spell coming on, all he needs to do is drop his feet and he's sitting down already.

I'll bet as he looks around at the new bikes, his opinions may shift a bit, one way or another. Good luck to him.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    1984 Trek 520: "the Bronze"; '80s Panasonic road bike (innominate); '97 Raleigh Century: "Rubeus" because it's red, and twice as heavy as a normal bike; blue 90's Peugeot Mackenzie :"Bix" (beaterbike), 2007 green Bike Friday New World Tourist.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about your Mom.

Your Dad probably shouldn't be riding a two wheeler if he has dizzy spells. I hope he reconsiders.