Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Talk me out of n+1!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Talk me out of n+1!

Old 01-25-10, 07:33 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't buy it.
Old 01-25-10, 07:56 AM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daven1986
Nope, I'm not going to talk you out of it either. There is ALWAYS a need for N+1, always something that a new bike will do that your current ones can't. Go for it, and if you don't like it then sell it on
I haven't read the rest of the posts yet, but I agree with the above. Besides, you DO NOT have a lot of bikes there! With only two in the stable I would almost call you "bike deprived". IMO if N<6, then the need for N+1 is just assumed as a matter of course. Build your new bike.

Last edited by billydonn; 01-25-10 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-25-10, 08:04 AM
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
In defense of hoarding...

Originally Posted by BengeBoy
I think you should go for the new Ti bike.

I think N+1 is fine as long as you're buying "different" bikes, and seems to me that you are. You'd have:

- commuter
- go-fast bike
- vintage bike

The only problem is when you're buying multiple bikes that are all pretty much the same as one you own. Then you're kind of like a "cat lady" hoarding cats (only hoarding bicycles). Come back and see us when you own 10 or so.
On the other hand, when you find the the one you love it is good to keep a spare or two. Something might happen to it. Besides, there is always different gearing.... And what about different colors?
Old 01-25-10, 01:25 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 2,199 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
It really is all about gaining some speed with my group ride. Most of these guys (and a few gals) are not much faster than me over 60 miles, but they can hold 22+mph for several miles, something that is difficult for me. I'm a 6 foot, 205 lbs, 53 year old. I feel like a large SUV mixing up with the Corvettes. Michael
I'm 6'1" 210 and 58 years, my solo rides avg 16 - 17mph on flat routes. A few years ago I had a summer without the family and was able to ride both before and after work, getting my weight down to 185. With the extra saddle time and at that weight I could ride 18 mph for 2+ hours with bursts to 24mph. Transforming an SUV into a Corvette is tough at our age - although we have all read the bike performance success stories of 50+ members.

If the new Ti bike motivates you to ride harder/faster then don't let us talk you out of it.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-25-10 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-25-10, 03:04 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I'm 6'1" 210 and 58 years, my solo rides avg 16 - 17mph on flat routes. A few years ago I had a summer without the family and was able to ride both before and after work, getting my weight down to 185. With the extra saddle time and at that weight I could ride 18 mph for 2+ hours with bursts to 24mph. Transforming an SUV into a Corvette is tough at our age - although we have all read the bike performance success stories of 50+ members.

If the new Ti bike motivates you to ride harder/faster then don't let us talk you out of it.
Yes, that’s been my experience. 2009 was my first year of result oriented cycling. I rode 5000 miles and could average 17 to 18.5 on my solo fitness rides. These rides are 36 to 60 miles.

I joined a group ride to increase my speed and to enjoy some new friends. These guys average 17 to 19 mph, but will hold faster speeds for 30 minutes or more.

I should research better training methods and investigate working with a trainer/coach. I would like to complete a century in six hours, including 3 sag stops. My best result in 2009 was 200k in 7 hours and 15 minutes of saddle time.

Michael

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-25-10 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-25-10, 03:32 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
So it looks as though the bike's gone. Still another way that may be more effective on improving performance on the bike.

Wheels and tyres. I don't know what you run right now but lighter better wheels and lighter better running tyres can improve some bikes. I have several bikes and each has its own uses. My main road bike is a 15lbs + a bit lightweight bike that has Ultegra wheels and Michelin PR2 tyres in 23 fitted. They have proved to be the ideal set up on this bike for less rolling resistance. Change the wheels- otr tyres and the bike does not work as easily. And I do have enough wheels to be able to compare with.

So what tyres do you run and in what size and what wheels?

Spike Milligan
Old 01-25-10, 03:34 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
This is a Bicycle Forum. Do you seriously expect us to talk you OUT of N+1?

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 01-25-10, 04:23 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by stapfam
So it looks as though the bike's gone. Still another way that may be more effective on improving performance on the bike.

Wheels and tyres. I don't know what you run right now but lighter better wheels and lighter better running tyres can improve some bikes. I have several bikes and each has its own uses. My main road bike is a 15lbs + a bit lightweight bike that has Ultegra wheels and Michelin PR2 tyres in 23 fitted. They have proved to be the ideal set up on this bike for less rolling resistance. Change the wheels- otr tyres and the bike does not work as easily. And I do have enough wheels to be able to compare with.

So what tyres do you run and in what size and what wheels?
I have been using 700x28 wire bead Conti Gatorskins on Mavic Open Pro/Shimano 105 wheels

I have a set of folding 700x25 Conti Gatorskins waiting to be installed.

I've been jonesing for a set of these: https://www.hedcycling.com/wheels/ardennes_c2.asp

Michael
Old 01-25-10, 04:59 PM

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am another bad one to ask... I don't own a car, but have a moderate sized stable of bikes. When my wife comes home with a repair bill, or insurance bill for her car, I just comment 'you could get a nice bike for that. It works too - last time we were in a bike shop, she was looking at shoes, and asking me if I needed new shoes - commenting that with the sale that was going on, a pair of decent bike shoes cost less than a tank of gas!

There is always room for N+1!
Old 01-26-10, 11:23 AM
Have bike, will travel

I've gotten over the leap in terms of adding a bike. How?

I want and could use a true road bike. My cyclocross bike is a good long-distance bike, but it will never allow me to keep up with a equally strong rider on a road bike.

The cyclocross bike is still needed. I'll keep a triple crankset on the cyclocross bike and use it for hilly rides with climbs greater than 5%. It's also a bike that I know I can finish a 200k on.

The new-to-me 1987 Trek 400D will be a great wet road bike and commuter. It will feature fenders and racks and will help me ride 3 days a week come rain or shine.

The 1974 Schwinn Paramount might, or might not, need to be sold. Let's see how the year goes...

Michael

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-26-10 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-26-10, 11:42 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have been using 700x28 wire bead Conti Gatorskins on Mavic Open Pro/Shimano 105 wheels

I have a set of folding 700x25 Conti Gatorskins waiting to be installed.

I've been jonesing for a set of these: https://www.hedcycling.com/wheels/ardennes_c2.asp

Michael
Gatorskins are not the lightest tyre around but the wheels are not bad. I have a set of 105 hubs with CXP33 rins so they are comparable.

Rotating weight is what it is all about. Cut that and although you may not gain speed- Acceleration is better and less energy used in the process.- I'd try the Folders to see if they have an effect.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-27-10, 04:50 PM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by NOS88
If you look closely at my avatar you can guess how much help I'll be in talking you out of it... absolutely none! In my bike shed I have vintage steel, modern steel, carbon/steel, full carbon, aluminum and titanium. My titanium bike gets more miles that all the others put together, and it's not because it's the prettiest.
There may be a Ti bike frame in my future soon .

Details to follow...

Michael

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-27-10 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-27-10, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Details to follow...

Michael
I eagerly await the details.
Old 01-27-10, 09:45 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
tease
Old 01-27-10, 10:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
"Talk me out of n+1! "

OK - N+2
Good one.

MY advice. Don't do it man. Soon your garage will be filled with bikes of every frame material and envisioned use. Your life will revolve around finding that obscure frame no one in your group has never even heard of let alone actually own. Your family will disown you and you will end up living on the street in a cardboard box with your bike collection housed in rent a shed place.

Just sayin.
Old 01-28-10, 06:23 AM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
tease
I just want to make sure it's been shipped.

It will be worth the wait (I hope).

Michael
Old 01-28-10, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 363 Posts

Details to follow...

Michael
Maybe I'll get to see it if we can hook up for another ride?
Old 01-28-10, 10:08 PM
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Two things I always regret selling, bikes and firearms. I have more than I need of both and fewer than i want.
Old 01-30-10, 09:16 AM
Have bike, will travel

My Titanium Planet frame (made by Lynskey) shipped yesterday. The same frame that I bid on, but did not win last weekend was offered to me on a "second chance" basis.

The top bidder turned out to be an international buyer who did not want to pay the shipping costs. So the seller contacted me and offer to sell at my $666.66 bid price.

I'm thrilled to get a new Lynskey built frame at that price. The size is right and the bike should offer a tangable improvement over my steel CX bike.

My 1978 Trek 400D rain commuter & touring bike is ready. I'll post pictures this weekend. This bike will be equiped with a modern Shimano 2X10 drivetrain, new Mavic Open Pro wheels with a Dura Ace 36 spoke hub on the back and a 32 spoke 105 hub on the front.

Once the Planet X bike is built, the CX bike will get crowded out by the Trek on damp days and the Ti bike on dry days.

I might just box it and put it in storage if the new bikes meet my needs.

Cheers,

Michael

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-30-10 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-06-10, 11:34 AM
Have bike, will travel

My Frame arrived and It's a better than expected!

A requested help in selecting a fork over at the Road Bike section, and a BF member sent me a Alpha Q fork for free! A bit shocked, I have pleaded to pay for the fork, but the individual refuses payment. As an alternative, I will be donating funds to the Red Cross Haiti fund. Bikeforums can use more of this kind of support and good-will. I've sent some vintage Shimano parts to a BF friend, at no-charge, this week. Sending a donation to the Red Cross will feel good also.

The fork is perfect for my needs. I even found a matching Alpha Q stem for $25. The bike will look super-sharp.

I'm going with a Shimano Ultegra SL 6600 "Ice Grey" groupset, including crankset, brakes, shifters, deraillaurs, BB, chain, & cassette for about $650. The bike will have Look Keo pedals, a Cane Creek S-3 headset and FSA compact handlebars & seatpost. I should be well under $1600 total.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 02-06-10 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-06-10, 01:34 PM
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

A requested help in selecting a fork over at the Road Bike section, and a BF member sent me a Alpha Q fork for free! A bit shocked, I have pleaded to pay for the fork, but the individual refuses payment. As an alternative, I will be donating funds to the Red Cross Haiti fund. Bikeforums can use more of this kind of support and good-will. I've sent some vintage Shimano parts to a BF friend, at no-charge, this week. Sending a donation to the Red Cross will feel good also.

The fork is perfect for my needs. I even found a matching Alpha Q stem for $25. The bike will look super-sharp.

I'm going with a Shimano Ultegra SL 6600 "Ice Grey" groupset, including crankset, brakes, shifters, deraillaurs, BB, chain, & cassette for about $650. The bike will have Look Keo pedals, a Cane Creek S-3 headset and FSA compact handlebars & seatpost. I should be well under $1600 total.

Recommendation: If you haven't already got the Ultegra brakes, newer 2010 SRAM Force are a good match for the Ice Gray and they work super IMO... just a thought. Look forward to pics of the assembly.
Old 02-06-10, 01:54 PM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by billydonn
Recommendation: If you haven't already got the Ultegra brakes, newer 2010 SRAM Force are a good match for the Ice Gray and they work super IMO... just a thought. Look forward to pics of the assembly.
Are you now using this combination?
Old 02-06-10, 09:09 PM
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Are you now using this combination?
Yes I am. SRAM= great brakes IMO. Even the old style Rival polished are excellent. 2010 Force and 09 and 2010 Red are a new design and the Force are the dark color. Sorry, it is hard to capture the colors in these pics for some reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010238.jpg (93.9 KB, 7 views)
04MaillotJaune 012.jpg (91.5 KB, 10 views)
04MaillotJaune 011.jpg (84.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-06-10, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 363 Posts

Aces.
Old 03-10-10, 03:35 PM
Have bike, will travel

A few pictures of the final product...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.