Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk me out of n+1!

I already have two complete bikes and one project bike that will be finished soon.

My quiver of bike provides a mixture of new and old models and my modern bike supports several thousand miles a year of fitness & long distance riding.

My modern bike is a steel framed Cylocross bike that is comfortable & reliable as a century bike.

I'm finishing a 1987 Trek 400D that will have a modern Shimano 2x10 drivetrain and fenders, this will be my wet pavement bike.

I also have a 1974 Schwinn Paramount that is in as new condition. This bike is sentimental to me, I'm the original owner.

I've really wanted a bike for fast group rides. My Cyclocross bike requires a lot of effort once the pace gets above 20mph. I've been dropped by faster groups. Part of the problem is my age and level of fitness, which is good, but not great.

I've found a new Titanium frame for half price and I could build up a nice bike for $1500 to $2000.

The problem is that I really don't need another bike and should use what I have. Or... will I ride more and improve further with a good road bike?

Michael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course you don't need another bike! But I would build the Ti bike just to see how it rode. Need is relative build the bike and if you really need the
    money you can sell one. Not talking you out of it - sorry.

Joe

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just can't understand some people. All bikes are different and for different uses. OK- you have a century bike that is comfortable- You have a wet ride bike- or will have- and you have the Classic Schwinn for posing and showing that you care about bikes.

But there are other bikes around that you do not have. You have already stated that the Cyclocross will not stay with the fast boys and you obviously enjoy riding with that group otherwise you would not worry about being dropped by them.

If I were you- I would be questioning my sanity. The chance is there of getting a NEW Ti frame and building it up into a bike that would give you a new experience of showing the fast boys how it should be done.

Don't dither- the Chance is there of building a bike you would be proud of. And if you can still not stay with the fast boys- Then Ti is a compliant material and will do for the double centuries that you will be doing later in the summer. Believe me you will be. If only to get away from the moans from the wife that you don't need another bike and she needs a new washing machine- diswasher or Freezer.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, I'm not going to talk you out of it either. There is ALWAYS a need for N+1, always something that a new bike will do that your current ones can't. Go for it, and if you don't like it then sell it on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya see, Michael, this is what happens when you ask choir members to help you stop your singing habit ^^^.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I just can't understand some people. All bikes are different and for different uses. OK- you have a century bike that is comfortable- You have a wet ride bike- or will have- and you have the Classic Schwinn for posing and showing that you care about bikes.

But there are other bikes around that you do not have. You have already stated that the Cyclocross will not stay with the fast boys and you obviously enjoy riding with that group otherwise you would not worry about being dropped by them.

If I were you- I would be questioning my sanity. The chance is there of getting a NEW Ti frame and building it up into a bike that would give you a new experience of showing the fast boys how it should be done.

Don't dither- the Chance is there of building a bike you would be proud of. And if you can still not stay with the fast boys- Then Ti is a compliant material and will do for the double centuries that you will be doing later in the summer. Believe me you will be. If only to get away from the moans from the wife that you don't need another bike and she needs a new washing machine- diswasher or Freezer.
    I really would benefit from the addition of a faster road bike. Increasing my pace is the final frontier for me. I ride often and I can ride all-day, but my pace is stuck below 19mph no matter how hard I try.

The psychological boost provided by a new bike plus the 5% real benefit of a better road bike could be worthwhile.

I should sell the Schwinn or the Cyclocross bike if the Ti bike fulfills it's promise. The 1987 Trek is an equal of the CX bike in performance... and it's vintage too!

Michael
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-24-10 at 08:59 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Ya see, Michael, this is what happens when you ask choir members to help you stop your singing habit ^^^.
    LOL, It's a not much of an compulsion support group!

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should go for the new Ti bike.

I think N+1 is fine as long as you're buying "different" bikes, and seems to me that you are. You'd have:

- commuter
    - go-fast bike
    - vintage bike

The only problem is when you're buying multiple bikes that are all pretty much the same as one you own. Then you're kind of like a "cat lady" hoarding cats (only hoarding bicycles). Come back and see us when you own 10 or so.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you need to change your training regime to increase your average speed?

Having recently evaluated my stable, I realized I don't need a collection. Just two to handle the riding I do. I will be finishing my Lynskey build on Tuesday and it will be my primary road bike.
    I will then change my Cross bike cassette to an 11-36 and a new RD. That coupled with the compact crank will give me a pretty capable cross/single track bike.

Buy what you need and will use, but I don't have or see a need to have a museum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why stop at n+1? Did you really expect anyone to say stick with what you have? lol

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I was outbid: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260539427143

I didn't want to overbid, a Ti & Ultegra 6700 bike can be had from Bikesdirect for $1700.

I also decided that I should sell my Paramount if I spent significant money on another bike.

Michael
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-24-10 at 12:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you were outbid and still have your money in hand, don't waste it on something foolish like food, shelter or clothing.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Since you were outbid and still have your money in hand, don't waste it on something foolish like food, shelter or clothing.
    Or my two kids college education!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    Or my two kids college education!
    Spend your kids inheritance before they can get their grubby mits on it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes you need to do a N-1 before you can continue with an N+1. Send me the Paramount for safe keeping and you'll get the go ahead.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep the Paramount. You will never stop kicking you own butt if you let her go for another. The bike would most likely allow you to ride with the fast group in the Chicago area unless there are a lot of hills or tight turns taken at race speed. I've taken my Raleigh Super Course TT on club rides and didn't have any problems staying with the group. Attacking rollers while riding within the group took some planning to anticipate shifting the 10 speed drive train.

N+1 is always good, however I don't think you will suddenly begin riding 20+ mph on rides unless you step up and do some specific training. Riding @ 19 mph is typically a Z3 effort that most strong riders can maintain for several hours as long as they eat and drink. To be able to ride faster you need to do some zone 4 and above riding on a regular basis to raise the Z3 wattage, and to allow the body to work at a higher workload and to accept the uncomfortable feelings while your body recovers while riding with the group.
    Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 01-24-10 at 05:32 PM.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    Well, I was outbidl
    Hey, too bad... it's nice to dream, isn't it? Especially when you envision a boost to your competitiveness. Ti is on my wish list too, but it'll probably remain there, 'cause I don't really like CF forks.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi AJ,

It really is all about gaining some speed with my group ride. Most of these guys (and a few gals) are not much faster than me over 60 miles, but they can hold 22+mph for several miles, something that is difficult for me. I'm a 6 foot, 205 lbs, 53 year old. I feel like a large SUV mixing up with the Corvettes.

I'm using my Soma on these rides.

I know that if I sell the Paramount, I'll miss it. But I'm not riding it much and don't really have any serious plans to do so.

Michael

Michael

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N+1 is a natural extension of a cyclist’s life. Don’t fight it, resistance is futile.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Talk me out of n+1! "

OK - N+2
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You came here to be talked out of buying a new bike?

No chance. But I will try to talk you out of selling the Paramount. Your reasoning for doing it may seem rational, but you will hate yourself if you do it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would only get a new bike if you wanted one.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, my opinion - I think you could get a big improvement with a new wheel set and suggest you try that first. That should give you some improvement and you can always use them if you decide to build up a new bike with a new frame. Get a set of tubulars and just use them for the club rides. Not only are they faster but they handle better.
    The more you drive the less intelligent you are. - Tracy Walter as Miller in Repo Man.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Those who would be talked out of N+1 really need to contemplate N+2.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look closely at my avatar you can guess how much help I'll be in talking you out of it... absolutely none! In my bike shed I have vintage steel, modern steel, carbon/steel, full carbon, aluminum and titanium. My titanium bike gets more miles that all the others put together, and it's not because it's the prettiest.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast