Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Classic Ride - Lotus Challenger

I have this ongoing competition with my son when it comes to riding. He has a difficult time keeping up to pops. He blames it on the hybrid he rides and I say it is the conditioning. He works out at the gym with a focus on strength building and I just ride a lot. So yesterday we went out and picked up a old road bike for him.

It is a Lotus Challenger SX 18 speed. Wheels still run true. All steel and only 3 pounds heavier than my bike. Lotus has a bit of history and had some popularity in the 80s. I figure the bike to be 20+ years old. It appears to me that a well kept bike can keep on running. The only upgrade was pedals and the tires which cost more than the bike (Specialized Armadillo All Condition. BTW these are my favorite and highly recommended tires).

I hope the kid gets the hang of feathering in the gears as he shifts.

I'll report back later this spring to see if the playing field has been leveled or remains the same.

PS: how do you insert a photo directly into the post?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lotus made some nice bikes; this looks like one of them.

If it were my bike, or my kid's, I would take off the "suicide levers" on the brakes (those levers that are reachable from the straight part of the handlebars). Those were put on the bikes in the 80's as a "convenience" but IMHO they are very dangerous -- in a panic stop, a rider will grab those and try to the stop but they don't have enough mechanical advantage to press the brakes hard enough to stop you.

You're better off just taking them off, and, if necessary, putting on new brake levers.
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 01-24-10 at 12:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering about that. When I used them they really didn't stop me. I will heed your advice and remove them. God help me if I was the cause of any injury to my son. The wife would kill me and the daughter-in-law would thank me.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave the Suicide levers on- They can make for an exciting ride- but in traffic when you are on the top of the bars- they can slow you down. In fact if properly set up- they can work effectively.

Another way to demoralise son-who reckons he is fitter than Dad ever was- is to only put 55psi in the tyres.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lotus didn't make any bikes, they were a marketing company. But they put their name on some sweet bikes. I have a 1984 Lotus Classique, its my regular ride (I have several bikes, but it is the first one I usually pick). I did a couple of simple modifications to make it a better ride for me: a longer stem and aerolevers. The bike is as light as my 2005 aluminum frame Trek, due in part to the Champion 1 frame.

I would dump the suicide brake levers and install aerolevers. You can get generic ones for under $20 on line (mine are Tektros, that came off a donor bike, so they were free).

To insert a full size picture like this one, you need to use one of the free hosting sites (I use Flickr).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last part of your replay is the one I liked. Will Picasa do?

What are the specs on the new stem if I go to order one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Test image

My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    New stem specs = figure out the length you need to fit you, and then buy one that length. Stems come in a lot of lengths. The Lotus will fit any standard 1 inch quill stem. Stem length is really specific to the individual rider and the bike they are riding.

For sizing tips, just google bicycle sizing. Most of the decent bike sizing articles include information on stem length (and height). You will find more info there than you will anywhere else.

My stem is 120mm long as I recall.

My advice is first read up on stem sizing, then go to your favorite bike shop. A good shop is going to have a box of stems for you to choose from. Mine all come from donor bikes, which is a great way to get parts if you have the time and room, but not such a good idea otherwise.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomamueller View Post
    I have this ongoing competition with my son when it comes to riding. He has a difficult time keeping up to pops. He blames it on the hybrid he rides and I say it is the conditioning. ... All steel and only 3 pounds heavier than my bike.

...I hope the kid gets the hang of feathering in the gears as he shifts.

I'll report back later this spring to see if the playing field has been leveled or remains the same.
    Hmmm, 3 lbs. heavier. I'd say he still has an excuse for not keeping up with you. His shifting will be a lot easier if you get rid of those stem mounted shifters. Down-tube shifters would work really well on this bike. BTW, isn't it cool when you can get them to ride with you?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is cool. He is a health nut and got me started a couple of years ago in asking me to ride in the Philly ACS bike-a-thon. Since then I have riden in 3 charity events and plan to do 4 this year and I have been thru 4 bikes about to upgrade later this spring. For those following my saga, it looks like a Allez Elite instead of Roubaix Elite. Roubaix too expensive and Allez changes things up from the Sequoia.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomamueller View Post
    It is cool. He is a health nut and got me started a couple of years ago in asking me to ride in the Philly ACS bike-a-thon. Since then I have riden in 3 charity events and plan to do 4 this year and I have been thru 4 bikes about to upgrade later this spring. For those following my saga, it looks like a Allez Elite instead of Roubaix Elite. Roubaix too expensive and Allez changes things up from the Sequoia.
    Have you looked at the Sectuer? It is the aluminum version of the Roubaix type bike now in the Specialized lineup.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I have looked at the Sectuer. My thinking goes if I go towards endurance I want a Roubaix. If I buy the Secteur, I will end up with a Sequoia, Secteur and a Roubaix at some point. So if I cant afford the Roubaix right now, go with the Allez. The guys I ride with give me a hard time about the upright ride position. I am the only one in the group riding an endurance type model . More in March when I will try out both the Secteur and Allez. Maybe I should change my signature?

PS: You have to drop 1700 for Roubaix like Secteur.