Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Phil Wood

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-10, 12:13 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Phil Wood

Mrs. Grouch and I are in the process of buying a new recumbent tandem. One of the internet dealers is offering a Rans Seavo with their own component package including Phil Wood hubs and bottom brackets. I know the reputation is good, but I don't have any personal experience.

Anybody have first hand experience with Phil Wood hubs or bottom brackets?
Old 01-31-10, 01:00 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a set of Phil tandem hubs from 1980 and they've been fine up to this point. Even though they're sealed, you can pull the seals and clean/re-lube them if you want.

I read somewhere that the folks up in the Pac Northwest aren't too impressed with the maintenance-free aspects of these hubs, so YMMV.
Old 01-31-10, 01:12 PM

Thanks.

30 year service life sounds pretty good to me. I don't mind having to clean and lube them every now and then.
Old 01-31-10, 05:37 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
The Phil Wood freewheel hubs I bought in '94 are going strong in their second set of rims. I put a lot of miles on them on my Bridgestone and they are now being passed along to my son on the Fuji. Had the bearing cartridges and seals replaced in '03 when the original rims wore out. I would not hesitate to get some of the cassette hubs if I could afford them.
Old 02-01-10, 10:46 AM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Perhaps a bit pricey, but absolutely among the very best!
Used Phil BBs, hubs and pedals (made a great touring pedal in the 1970s!) on our 1977 Assenmacher.
Rear BB on tandem developed bit of play after only 30,000 miles. Sent it back to Phil and explained our problem. He promptly sent back a new BB with note: 'No charge; after those kind of miles, you deserve it!'
The hubs were still on the tandem when we sold it after 64,000 miles.
Pedals were moved to the next tandem and they lasted over 80,000miles
Next tandem, we used Phil BBs and hubs; lasted 'til we sold it with 56,000 mles on it.
Moral of the story: Quality lasts . . . and lasts!
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 02-01-10, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the responses. One of the reasons I posed this question on 50+ was because I feel like I get a better quality of responses. Zonatandem, for example had an actual failure to report. He neither overstated not understated the problem, didn't try to hide it, he just said this is wnhat happened and this is how it was resolved. I can work with information like that.

I'm in the process of buying a fairly high end recumbent tandem. Right now there really isn't much that I can do for 2 weeks but I'm excited so I want to think about it all the time.

I hope the weather in Hays, Kansas is good over Valentine's/ President's Day weekend so we can do a test ride.
Old 02-01-10, 01:23 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I ran Phil Wood hubs for years with no problems. They outlasted three sets of rims.
Old 02-01-10, 01:51 PM

Bikes: '79 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Changed to a Phil Wood BB after going thru 2 Schimano Dura Ace BB's. Got 6237 miles on first Dura Ace BB and 5677 miles on second Dura Ace....switched to Phil Wood BB and just replaced it after 13,864 miles......replaced it with another Phil Wood BB. Both wheel's hubs are Phil Wood...16,311 trouble free miles on them...

I am fairly large at 6'1" and 204 lbs, now, but when I bought the Phil Wood BB & Hubs a few years ago, I was about 235 lbs.....they work for me. I commute 23 mi. R/T about 210 days per year, and completed the Southern Tier this past Oct.
Old 02-01-10, 03:37 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Over here we have Phil Woods- and Chris King- and Hope. All top quality and all good and all very expensive. But they work. None of these are made- They are engineered and for a use that exceeds what mere mortals- or Tandems- can put then through. Hope are British so can't comment on Phil Woods- but I have seen them and heard the good reports on them.

Only done about 12,000miles on my Hope "Bigun" hubs but had a pawl break in the Freehub on the last strip down. Considering this is on the Offroad Tandem I was not unhappy. Especially as it only cost pence for the replacement set of pawls. These engineered hubs are rebuildable.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-01-10, 03:59 PM

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure my experience will be of any use, but I recently built up a no-compromise commuter bike. The rear hub is a Phil, it has just over 1000 miles on it, it is very shiny and pretty, and still turns like new.

One thing that I notice: I have three bikes that I ride regularly - the utility bike has a Shimano 105 rear hub, the commute bike has the Phil Wood Hub, and the fun bike has a Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset. The noise that the pawls make when coasting is much quieter on the Shimano than on either of the other two hubs. No idea why some hubs should be so much louder than others.....
Old 02-01-10, 04:11 PM

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure my experience will be of any use, but I recently built up a no-compromise commuter bike. The rear hub is a Phil, it has just over 1000 miles on it, it is very shiny and pretty, and still turns like new.

One thing that I notice: I have three bikes that I ride regularly - the utility bike has a Shimano 105 rear hub, the commute bike has the Phil Wood Hub, and the fun bike has a Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset. The noise that the pawls make when coasting is much quieter on the Shimano than on either of the other two hubs. No idea why some hubs should be so much louder than others.....
Old 02-01-10, 04:45 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Mrs. Grouch and I are in the process of buying a new recumbent tandem. One of the internet dealers is offering a Rans Seavo with their own component package including Phil Wood hubs and bottom brackets. I know the reputation is good, but I don't have any personal experience.

Anybody have first hand experience with Phil Wood hubs or bottom brackets?
Had a custom bike built back in the mid '80s. Phil hubs and BB. The BB died about 10 years ago... the spindle broke in two... was the oddest feeling one morning as I jumped on the bike and both pedals went down. The spindle was hollow. Snapped along a corrosion line. Phil sent me a solid replacement... never got around to putting it in as I had to buy something else while I was waiting... also sealed bearings. The hubs have been fine. Just this last Xmas I decided it was finally time to replace those bearings... the guy in the shop said the rear bearings were still good, but the front felt a bit dry. I never tried to pull the seals and relube. The bike has been ridden in all sorts of weather and through flooded vados in Baja and used as a daily commuter in San Diego. I think I got great value out of the Phil Hubs. The only problem I have is that the rear is for a freewheel, and technology has moved on to cassettes now.
Old 02-04-10, 12:54 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm the guy from the Pac Northwest who absolutely detests Phil Wood stuff, thinks it's highly overrated, and only good for use by people who live in Florida or Arizona where the equipment is never used in the rain. Back in the mid-70's, I used the first-generation Phil rear hub and bottom bracket. I destroyed the bearings of both in one month of winter riding. My ride was going to school daily; school was at the top of a1200' climb, and it would often be raining or snowing. The bearings got really loose after a month, so I had to disassemble the rear wheel and pull the bb and send them back. I destroyed the replacements after another month. In those days, you couldn't service the bearings by yourself, you had to send the equipment back. I think I sent back the hub; I just gave up on the bb. I've still got the hub. I used it only in dry weather, except I did use it for cyclo-cross one season. The hub started to feel rough, so I just stored the wheel. I recently re-commissioned it for fixed-gear use. Sure enough, after about a month of winter riding, the hub bearings packed it in again. I'll probably send the hub back to Phil and see what he does. The previous returns, his reply seemed to place the blame for the failure on me. The response was written by a guy named Bern Smith, who asserted that Phil hubs were tested by being submerged in water and spun by machine for hours. I bet the hubs were submerged in clean water, not water with fine grit and bits of salt and stuff in it.
Anyway, I think Phil stuff is absolute crap, very highly over-rated by riders who have never ridden daily thru a wet and dirty Vancouver winter!
- Luis
Old 02-04-10, 12:13 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Phil hubs on my tandem. The bike only has 3-4 thousand miles, but when it's used the load on those hubs is 400+lbs. No problems across 10 years. Super smooth.
Old 02-04-10, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
I'm the guy from the Pac Northwest who absolutely detests Phil Wood stuff, thinks it's highly overrated,
I appreciate your feedback. Now I'm wondering, have you found hubs that hold up to your usage?
Old 02-04-10, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Phil FSA freewheel hubs on my commuter, ridden daily for 10 years.
Absolutely as good as new and I've never touched them.
Old 02-04-10, 06:04 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... have you found hubs that hold up to your usage?
Let me guess...Chris King