Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Post ride meal is a real bust

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-24-10, 06:35 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I was in the saddle for 5-6 hours yesterday just trying to burn some calories-which was pretty successful. I had eaten a normal breakfast but only had a banana and a pack of crackers during the ride. My wife was ready for supper when I got back so after a quick shower we were off to find some place to eat heartily.

There is a large mall near where we live where there are tons of restaurants. I should have known better but unfortunately everyone else had the same idea we did and lines were out the door just about everywhere. However, I spotted an Indian cuisine restaurant that did not look crowded and much to my wife's surprise I suggested we try it. She's loves the food but I'd never tried it.

I was so hungry I could eat anything.........or so I thought. We had a fish appetizer which was wonderful. It was pretty spicy but just to my liking. I asked the waitress if my entree was as spicy and she said "oh yeah, in fact you will think the entree was mild". I thought I could handle it as I generally like spicy stuff.

Boy was I wrong. Nothing I tried worked. I tried mixing it with tons of rice but that didn't help. I tried killing it with Naan (bread) but that didn't work. I suspect there were other dishes I would have enjoyed but my first experience was very memorable, in the wrong way.

I wound up picking up a cheeseburger on the way home and all was good again.
Old 01-24-10, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
milk
sour cream
almost any dairy kills "spicey".

Cyril
Old 01-25-10, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I wound up picking up a cheeseburger on the way home and all was good again.
Old 01-25-10, 07:47 AM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ha! Sounds like you are another victim of the vindaloo. Unless you are like that guy Adam on "Man Versus Food", do not try it unless you can get them to tone the heat down a lot. Yes, there are many milder choices that do not involve burning one's face off! Suggestion: try a nice biryani next time. And keep the Kabuli Naan coming, please...
Old 01-25-10, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,991 Times in 4,452 Posts
The post-ride meal is a big deal to me. When I finish a ride I start thinking about food and I have a few favorite restaurants. I'm reluctant to try a new one for fear of ruining the after ride pig-out.
Oddly (for L.A.) one thing that's absent around here is a really good Mexican place. The one we loved changed owners and went downhill quickly.
Old 01-25-10, 11:18 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You needed the cucumber yogurt stuff they serve which stops the burn.
I am a chicken Vindaloo fan - but I have to ask them to make it "Indian Hot" otherwise the make it too mild.
Old 01-25-10, 11:35 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My Post "Gym" meal is always an Indian takeaway. Need plenty of rice for the Carbs so I have a Biryani. Mainly rice with spices and not too warm. Plenty of protein with the meat of Chicken or Lamb. On top of that it is served with a Vegetable Curry that is on the mild side.

Don't let this one experience of Indian Cuisine put you off. There are various degrees of heat in Indian food and over here there is also a difference in the region from which the chef learnt his art. Now if you want a real experience- Try a Balti. May be a bit warm for you still but the chef can cut down the hotness if you ask him.

Or just let the waiter know that you are new to Curry and would prefer a gentle taste.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-26-10, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like Indian food. They have been mucking around with spices for thousands of years and have worked out some amazing combinations. I also do like Mexican and just about anything spicy.

I was sharing a house with a few people one time and someone brought home a jar of extra supremely hot Jamaican chillies. He cut one up and offered people a piece the size of a match head. No one wanted more.

I ate a whole one and shocked at least one person. I assumed I was spiritually advanced but learned years later that I don't have much of a sense of taste or smell. OK, guess that accounts for it.
Old 01-26-10, 09:50 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They serve celery with buffalo wings in the 'better' wing joints....

Just sayin'....
Old 01-26-10, 10:42 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I spotted this news story the other day:

" 8 German teenagers hospitalized after drinking chili sauce more than 200 times hotter than normal

Officials in Germany say eight teenagers were hospitalized after a test of courage in which they drank chili sauce more than 200 times hotter than normal. The Red Cross in the southern city of Augsburg says 10 boys, aged 13 and 14, year drank the sauce Wednesday morning, apparently in school.

The German news agency DAPD quoted the Red Cross as saying the boys complained of feeling sick, and eight were taken to a hospital. They were to be kept in overnight for observation.

The Red Cross said that on the Scoville scale, which measures the hotness of sauce, the sauce measured 535,000 – compared to 2,500 for normal Tabasco sauce."

Be careful out there...
Old 01-26-10, 10:47 PM

Bikes: Zinn road bike, Rockhopper MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like some good Habanero/Scotch bonnet sauce!

Originally Posted by BengeBoy
I spotted this news story the other day:

" 8 German teenagers hospitalized after drinking chili sauce more than 200 times hotter than normal

Officials in Germany say eight teenagers were hospitalized after a test of courage in which they drank chili sauce more than 200 times hotter than normal. The Red Cross in the southern city of Augsburg says 10 boys, aged 13 and 14, year drank the sauce Wednesday morning, apparently in school.

The German news agency DAPD quoted the Red Cross as saying the boys complained of feeling sick, and eight were taken to a hospital. They were to be kept in overnight for observation.

The Red Cross said that on the Scoville scale, which measures the hotness of sauce, the sauce measured 535,000 – compared to 2,500 for normal Tabasco sauce."

Be careful out there...
Old 01-26-10, 10:53 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
They serve celery with buffalo wings in the 'better' wing joints....

Just sayin'....
They also serve blue cheese dressing, Fat is what you need to kill the burn.
Old 01-27-10, 03:49 AM

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some Thai restaurants keep sugar on the tables for those who get too much
heat from the spices.

Once thought the things in some vegetables in Mexico were onions. They were young habaneros.
Old 01-27-10, 12:13 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Early days in France and a B-B-Q. My first experience of Merguez- a spicy sausage that I now love. But first experience and a Merguez Dog roll with Onions and being British- there was Tomato sauce available. Boy was that Hot Dog hot so more tomato sauce to cool it down.

Now some spices do increase in strength the more you eat of it and this Merguez got hotter and hotter as we ate it so more tomato sauce to cool it down.

Then The Chef came over and presented us with a bottle of his sauce as we liked it so much. Looked at the label- It was chile sauce and by the end we had it 1/2 thick in the roll.

Spike Milligan