Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

o/t Senior discount

I'm sure this has been addressed in the past. On the way to work I stopped in at a grocery store to get some snacks. Went to check out. The cashier, who didn't look much younger than me, rang up my items then said, "oh, today is senior day," and gave me a discount. I'm not complaining about that, but I won't be 55 for another 30 some days.
    Oh well. What can I say. My wife tells me my beard makes me look older, but I ain't shaving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    I'm sure this has been addressed in the past. On the way to work I stopped in at a grocery store to get some snacks. Went to check out. The cashier, who didn't look much younger than me, rang up my items then said, "oh, today is senior day," and gave me a discount. I'm not complaining about that, but I won't be 55 for another 30 some days.
    Oh well. What can I say. My wife tells me my beard makes me look older, but I ain't shaving.
    Yeah, I've come across a few places in my travels that offer a senior discount at 55 and better. I still feel odd about asking for it though.
    Only once that I can recall being asked if I'm a senior, and I was 55 at the time.

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no pride, or at least very little! I take advantage of senior discounts all the time. If it's not offered, I'll ask. Some restaurants don't volunteer it, but cheerfully apply it if asked. I haven't had to prove my age, although I am "only" 69.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tsk tsk. Since you aren't 55 yet you must send the amount of the discount to someone who is. Would you like me to PM my address?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waldowales View Post
    I have no pride, or at least very little! I take advantage of senior discounts all the time. If it's not offered, I'll ask. Some restaurants don't volunteer it, but cheerfully apply it if asked. I haven't had to prove my age, although I am "only" 69.
    I've taken a completely different stance. (One that I recognize is likely a minority one). When offered a senior discount, I always ask why seniors should get a discount and not others. As politely as I can I suggest they give my senior discount to a young mother who might be working hard yet struggling to make ends meet. As for right now, I don't need discounts, because "I'm old".

Senior discounts were first offered in a time when many (maybe even most) older people were in economic peril compared to the rest of society. However, the USA has made great strides in changing the economic well-being of most older folks (not all by any stretch of the imagination). Today, I think it's more of a marketing effort to get seniors to buy at the place offering the discount. I've always thought discounts were a bit disingenuous. If they can afford the discount, maybe they're charging too much.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Today, I think it's more of a marketing effort to get seniors to buy at the place offering the discount. I've always thought discounts were a bit disingenuous. If they can afford the discount, maybe they're charging too much.
    I'm shocked, shocked that you could think such a thing!

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swear this is true:

I went to Applybees (yeah, I know) about two weeks ago and order a Cosmo (yeah, I know, again). The waitress carded me.

Honest.

My wife roared out laughing.

I gave the waitress a 20% tip. It made my day, I tell you.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my first senior discount at a motel at age 50. The clerk said 50 was their threshold.

I had a beard for 20 years and shaved it when we went on an 8-week vacation. I looked younger without it and never grew it back. I was 44 at the time and am 64 now.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

If they want to give me a discount on something I would have bought anyway with no strings attached, I'll take it and smile. I don't really care why they offer it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anyone who has an ethical/moral/aesthetic objection to getting a senior discount, I recommend the practice of just sending the difference to a worthwhile charity.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Crazy ole cat lady
    My Bikes
    One built up on a Nashbar frame, one built up from a Paramount frame
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do hate it when they give me the senior discount without me asking first.

Curiously this happens mostly with waitresses. Waiters usually wait until I ask for the discount.

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but I won't be 55 for another 30 some days.
    You're worried about a month???? I got a 55-and-older discount when I was 46!!!
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    I swear this is true:

I went to Applybees (yeah, I know) about two weeks ago and order a Cosmo (yeah, I know, again). The waitress carded me.

Honest.

My wife roared out laughing.

I gave the waitress a 20% tip. It made my day, I tell you.
    I'm sure it's just a policy to card everybody to avoid any discrimination law suits.
    Of course having a cosmo at Applebee’s, maybe she was checking if you should have been institutionalized.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my first when going to a kids movie, Monsters vs Aliens. You were supposed to be over 55 and I was merely 55, but the youth at the ticket office was very eager to give the theater's money away.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 01-27-10 at 01:34 PM.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A list of some available senior discount offers:
    http://frugalliving.about.com/od/fru...r_Discount.htm
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Senior discounts are on the way out. With the demographics of aging and so many baby boomers reaching the supposed discount age, it is either being changed or done away with.

Wendy's no longer gives a 10% overall discount, although they tell me one can get a cheap drink. As I never drink anything but water, I wouldn't know.

Choice Hotels used to have a neat 65+ discount, available only through their 800 number. That is gone, and their 55+ is gone, buth replaced by a less desirable 60+ discount, available online.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    Schwinn World Traveler, Raleigh Port Townsend, Bianci Roadmaster, Raleigh Clubman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my first senior discount when I was in my late 30s. Now that I'm old enough I no longer get offered the senior discount.
    We have met the enemy and they is us.

Pogo