Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 01-26-10, 09:47 AM   #1
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Bikes:
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
o/t Senior discount

I'm sure this has been addressed in the past. On the way to work I stopped in at a grocery store to get some snacks. Went to check out. The cashier, who didn't look much younger than me, rang up my items then said, "oh, today is senior day," and gave me a discount. I'm not complaining about that, but I won't be 55 for another 30 some days.
Oh well. What can I say. My wife tells me my beard makes me look older, but I ain't shaving.
sknhgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 09:57 AM   #2
Dan Burkhart 

Bikes:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
I'm sure this has been addressed in the past. On the way to work I stopped in at a grocery store to get some snacks. Went to check out. The cashier, who didn't look much younger than me, rang up my items then said, "oh, today is senior day," and gave me a discount. I'm not complaining about that, but I won't be 55 for another 30 some days.
Oh well. What can I say. My wife tells me my beard makes me look older, but I ain't shaving.
Yeah, I've come across a few places in my travels that offer a senior discount at 55 and better. I still feel odd about asking for it though.
Only once that I can recall being asked if I'm a senior, and I was 55 at the time.
Dan Burkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 11:14 AM   #3
waldowales
Old Fogy

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have no pride, or at least very little! I take advantage of senior discounts all the time. If it's not offered, I'll ask. Some restaurants don't volunteer it, but cheerfully apply it if asked. I haven't had to prove my age, although I am "only" 69.
waldowales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 11:33 AM   #4
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Quote:
Tsk tsk. Since you aren't 55 yet you must send the amount of the discount to someone who is. Would you like me to PM my address?
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 11:49 AM   #5
NOS88

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldowales View Post
I have no pride, or at least very little! I take advantage of senior discounts all the time. If it's not offered, I'll ask. Some restaurants don't volunteer it, but cheerfully apply it if asked. I haven't had to prove my age, although I am "only" 69.
I've taken a completely different stance. (One that I recognize is likely a minority one). When offered a senior discount, I always ask why seniors should get a discount and not others. As politely as I can I suggest they give my senior discount to a young mother who might be working hard yet struggling to make ends meet. As for right now, I don't need discounts, because "I'm old".

Senior discounts were first offered in a time when many (maybe even most) older people were in economic peril compared to the rest of society. However, the USA has made great strides in changing the economic well-being of most older folks (not all by any stretch of the imagination). Today, I think it's more of a marketing effort to get seniors to buy at the place offering the discount. I've always thought discounts were a bit disingenuous. If they can afford the discount, maybe they're charging too much.
Old 01-26-10, 12:02 PM   #6
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
Today, I think it's more of a marketing effort to get seniors to buy at the place offering the discount. I've always thought discounts were a bit disingenuous. If they can afford the discount, maybe they're charging too much.
I'm shocked, shocked that you could think such a thing!
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 06:02 PM   #7
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
I swear this is true:

I went to Applybees (yeah, I know) about two weeks ago and order a Cosmo (yeah, I know, again). The waitress carded me.

Honest.

My wife roared out laughing.

I gave the waitress a 20% tip. It made my day, I tell you.
The Weak Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 07:20 AM   #8
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got my first senior discount at a motel at age 50. The clerk said 50 was their threshold.

I had a beard for 20 years and shaved it when we went on an 8-week vacation. I looked younger without it and never grew it back. I was 44 at the time and am 64 now.
Ken Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 08:44 AM   #9
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

If they want to give me a discount on something I would have bought anyway with no strings attached, I'll take it and smile. I don't really care why they offer it.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 08:57 AM   #10
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
For anyone who has an ethical/moral/aesthetic objection to getting a senior discount, I recommend the practice of just sending the difference to a worthwhile charity.
gcottay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 12:12 PM   #11
MadMabel
Crazy ole cat lady

Bikes: One built up on a Nashbar frame, one built up from a Paramount frame
I do hate it when they give me the senior discount without me asking first.

Curiously this happens mostly with waitresses. Waiters usually wait until I ask for the discount.
MadMabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 12:46 PM   #12
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
but I won't be 55 for another 30 some days.
You're worried about a month???? I got a 55-and-older discount when I was 46!!!

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 12:54 PM   #13
leob1

Bikes:
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
I swear this is true:

I went to Applybees (yeah, I know) about two weeks ago and order a Cosmo (yeah, I know, again). The waitress carded me.

Honest.

My wife roared out laughing.

I gave the waitress a 20% tip. It made my day, I tell you.
I'm sure it's just a policy to card everybody to avoid any discrimination law suits.
Of course having a cosmo at Applebee’s, maybe she was checking if you should have been institutionalized.
leob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 02:26 PM   #14
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I got my first when going to a kids movie, Monsters vs Aliens. You were supposed to be over 55 and I was merely 55, but the youth at the ticket office was very eager to give the theater's money away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 01-27-10 at 02:34 PM.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 03:09 PM   #15
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
A list of some available senior discount offers:
http://frugalliving.about.com/od/fru...r_Discount.htm

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 06:30 PM   #16
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Senior discounts are on the way out. With the demographics of aging and so many baby boomers reaching the supposed discount age, it is either being changed or done away with.

Wendy's no longer gives a 10% overall discount, although they tell me one can get a cheap drink. As I never drink anything but water, I wouldn't know.

Choice Hotels used to have a neat 65+ discount, available only through their 800 number. That is gone, and their 55+ is gone, buth replaced by a less desirable 60+ discount, available online.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 06:05 PM   #17
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Schwinn World Traveler converted to a frankenbike three speed, Bianci Roadmaster,
Got my first senior discount when I was in my late 30s. Now that I'm old enough I no longer get offered the senior discount.
steve0257 is offline   Reply With Quote