Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Cabin Fever

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cabin Fever

Right- I have had enough. November bought winds and rain- December and the cold set in with the residual rain till it turned to snow- January started with snow and cold and has now turned to rain and cold.

Weekends have not been that good although a few rides have been done- but I want to go out and play now. Cold tomorrow- Wind and rain Saturday but I am keeping everything crossed for Sunday.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear you, taking off tomorrow but it is not going above freezing so not sure if I am riding or not. Yeah I'm a wuss but I just hate the cold these days.

Maybe go to the single track close by and see, dunno.

My Bikes
    '74 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2005 Raleigh Grand Prix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much better here in the midwest either. It is supposed to get down to 8 degrees tonight and a high Saturday of 19 if we're lucky. 32 would feel like a heat wave! The weather in general here hasn't been that good either. It has been ultra low temp's and/or snow, and rain if it warmed up enough. Nothing like ice on the pavement with water on top as a lubricant.

March 20th can't get here soon enough! Then you just hope for drier conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got back from a ride a few minutes ago...in my basement on my flippin' trainer.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cold here again ... down around 0 deg. F tonight. Snow still covering everything and lots of icey patches remaining on the MUPs. They say the county roads have been clear and rideable at times but that is far from my crib and air temps have seldom been above 25. Have not been on an outdoor ride since late November. I am starting to think spinning feels "natural" and will be needing psychiatric help soon...

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just so you shouldn't feel like the Lone Ranger... One year ago this week, we had a major ice storm in northwest Arkansas. Some folks had no electrical power for three weeks. Talk about cabin fever...

Well, to celebrate the one-year anniversary of the ice storm, we're having another one. It started today! It's coming down like crazy outside. The trees are glistening with ice, and I assume the power lines are too.

After last year's event, I decided to become a little more self-sufficient. During the last year, I bought equipment for cooking, heating, and lighting, and I've recently laid in a bunch of food. In its communique, the weather service mentioned the likelihood of loss of electrical power.

So, there's a good chance I'll be suffering along with you and probably "off the air" for a few days.

Unlike TSL and some of our other northern brethren, I don't have any studded tires for any of the bikes, so I'll be stuck inside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PNW has been relatively warm, logged over 100 miles last week. Snowpack in the WA Cascades is marginal.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Air temp. -14C here today (+ wind chill); bit of lake-effect snow, though a mildish spell last week got rid of some of the snowpack. Oh well -- it's winter, it's southwestern Ontario -- I don't enjoy riding when it's this cold, so just have to wait it out.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Single digits here, with sub-zero wind chills. Not that it matters, because I'm stuck indoors with pneumonia.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    Single digits here, with sub-zero wind chills. Not that it matters, because I'm stuck indoors with pneumonia.
    Best to stay indoors and get well.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you. I can't do any more winters on a bike, so I'm looking for southern accommodations.
    "I will remain the stranger who came from a faraway land." Lance Armstrong

"The more you drive, the less intelligent you become." Miller "Repo Man"

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by naisme View Post
    I'm with you. I can't do any more winters on a bike, so I'm looking for southern accommodations.
    Can't get much more South than I am- well I can but its 300 miles to the west and they keep getting your left over weather.

3 weeks time and I am going on Holiday. The MTB is going with me as We are going to Cumbria and that is 400 miles to the North. Am also planning a summer holiday but that will be in the South of France.

And according to the weather news- Scotland has just had the coldest December/ January on record. Don't know about them but I know our winter has so far been the wettest.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
    PNW has been relatively warm, logged over 100 miles last week. Snowpack in the WA Cascades is marginal.
    +1

Very warm January -- even with lots of business travel this month, I just totaled up my miles year-to-date: 500.