Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 01-28-10, 03:00 PM   #1
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cabin Fever

Right- I have had enough. November bought winds and rain- December and the cold set in with the residual rain till it turned to snow- January started with snow and cold and has now turned to rain and cold.

Weekends have not been that good although a few rides have been done- but I want to go out and play now. Cold tomorrow- Wind and rain Saturday but I am keeping everything crossed for Sunday.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 08:12 PM   #2
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hear you, taking off tomorrow but it is not going above freezing so not sure if I am riding or not. Yeah I'm a wuss but I just hate the cold these days.

Maybe go to the single track close by and see, dunno.
kr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 08:43 PM   #3
PhilWinIL

Bikes: '74 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2005 Raleigh Grand Prix
Not much better here in the midwest either. It is supposed to get down to 8 degrees tonight and a high Saturday of 19 if we're lucky. 32 would feel like a heat wave! The weather in general here hasn't been that good either. It has been ultra low temp's and/or snow, and rain if it warmed up enough. Nothing like ice on the pavement with water on top as a lubricant.

March 20th can't get here soon enough! Then you just hope for drier conditions.
PhilWinIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 08:51 PM   #4
Louis

Bikes:
I just got back from a ride a few minutes ago...in my basement on my flippin' trainer.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 09:07 PM   #5
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Very cold here again ... down around 0 deg. F tonight. Snow still covering everything and lots of icey patches remaining on the MUPs. They say the county roads have been clear and rideable at times but that is far from my crib and air temps have seldom been above 25. Have not been on an outdoor ride since late November. I am starting to think spinning feels "natural" and will be needing psychiatric help soon...
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 09:12 PM   #6
doctor j

Bikes:
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just so you shouldn't feel like the Lone Ranger... One year ago this week, we had a major ice storm in northwest Arkansas. Some folks had no electrical power for three weeks. Talk about cabin fever...

Well, to celebrate the one-year anniversary of the ice storm, we're having another one. It started today! It's coming down like crazy outside. The trees are glistening with ice, and I assume the power lines are too.

After last year's event, I decided to become a little more self-sufficient. During the last year, I bought equipment for cooking, heating, and lighting, and I've recently laid in a bunch of food. In its communique, the weather service mentioned the likelihood of loss of electrical power.

So, there's a good chance I'll be suffering along with you and probably "off the air" for a few days.

Unlike TSL and some of our other northern brethren, I don't have any studded tires for any of the bikes, so I'll be stuck inside.
doctor j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 03:10 AM   #7
Wildwood

Bikes: see signature
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
PNW has been relatively warm, logged over 100 miles last week. Snowpack in the WA Cascades is marginal.
Wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 11:42 AM   #8
badger1

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Air temp. -14C here today (+ wind chill); bit of lake-effect snow, though a mildish spell last week got rid of some of the snowpack. Oh well -- it's winter, it's southwestern Ontario -- I don't enjoy riding when it's this cold, so just have to wait it out.
badger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 12:54 PM   #9
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Single digits here, with sub-zero wind chills. Not that it matters, because I'm stuck indoors with pneumonia.
BlazingPedals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 01:30 PM   #10
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
Single digits here, with sub-zero wind chills. Not that it matters, because I'm stuck indoors with pneumonia.
Best to stay indoors and get well.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 01:50 PM   #11
naisme
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns
I'm with you. I can't do any more winters on a bike, so I'm looking for southern accommodations.
naisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 02:15 PM   #12
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naisme View Post
I'm with you. I can't do any more winters on a bike, so I'm looking for southern accommodations.
Can't get much more South than I am- well I can but its 300 miles to the west and they keep getting your left over weather.

3 weeks time and I am going on Holiday. The MTB is going with me as We are going to Cumbria and that is 400 miles to the North. Am also planning a summer holiday but that will be in the South of France.

And according to the weather news- Scotland has just had the coldest December/ January on record. Don't know about them but I know our winter has so far been the wettest.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 06:02 PM   #13
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
PNW has been relatively warm, logged over 100 miles last week. Snowpack in the WA Cascades is marginal.
+1

Very warm January -- even with lots of business travel this month, I just totaled up my miles year-to-date: 500.
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote