Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 01-30-10, 07:29 AM   #1
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
No 5-6 hour rides this weekend!!

Unless the sun comes out and melts this blanket of snow and now sleet. I'm not Will D that can ride a trainer for that long either..........at least we've avoided the stuff sticking to trees. Sounds like BikeWNC might have gotten a little harsher version though.

How am I ever going to get back into riding shape??? Global warming strikes again..........
Old 01-30-10, 08:26 AM   #2
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
studded touring tires will get you back on the road. I've been riding 1 - 2 days a week since November. it's not a lot but it's something you know?
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 08:48 AM   #3
curdog

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last week on the Outer Banks was beautiful. Today we have a couple of inches of some white stuff that we're not very use to seeing around here.
curdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 08:53 AM   #4
mike047
Grumpy

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 3.0/ Giant Sedona DX/Giant Defy 3/ Corsa with a tall seat post
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
Unless the sun comes out and melts this blanket of snow and now sleet. I'm not Will D that can ride a trainer for that long either..........at least we've avoided the stuff sticking to trees. Sounds like BikeWNC might have gotten a little harsher version though.

How am I ever going to get back into riding shape??? Global warming strikes again..........
I am a little east of him, I think. We got about 6-7 inches. It has stopped for the present. I might get in 2 hours of shovel work later today
mike047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 08:55 AM   #5
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
I'm just 10 miles shy of 600 miles for January, so I am thinking about getting out on my mountain bike. I rarely ever ride it and the tires are flat, but it's got knobbies and should do fine in the snow/sleet. Last weekend it was looking like topping 600 would be a piece of cake but the snowstorm threw a wrinkle in my plans. I've never topped 600 in January before, largely due to weather.

We had probably 4" of snow on the ground when I woke up about 6 am, but it soon turned to sleet. The sleet has been coming down hard at times but just seems to pack down the snow. It will take a while to melt based on previous sleet storms we have had and the forecast for chilly temps the next couple of days.
tarwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 09:39 AM   #6
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
I'm just 10 miles shy of 600 miles for January, so I am thinking about getting out on my mountain bike. I rarely ever ride it and the tires are flat, but it's got knobbies and should do fine in the snow/sleet. Last weekend it was looking like topping 600 would be a piece of cake but the snowstorm threw a wrinkle in my plans. I've never topped 600 in January before, largely due to weather.

We had probably 4" of snow on the ground when I woke up about 6 am, but it soon turned to sleet. The sleet has been coming down hard at times but just seems to pack down the snow. It will take a while to melt based on previous sleet storms we have had and the forecast for chilly temps the next couple of days.
Precip tapering here so look for a total of about 5-6 hours of sleet.
Old 01-30-10, 09:44 AM   #7
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Glad we don't have the frozen stuff down this far. Cold, windy and rainy today, but tomorrow looks good for the 50 mile ride I'm planning.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 03:09 PM   #8
tlc20010
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have millimeters and millimeters of snow and ice here just south of the Charlotte beltway, but the hysterics of the local TV news/weather children earlier in the week convinced me to get out Thursday for 40+ so I could get over 600 for January. We should be back on the road Tues or Weds, don't you think???

Hey Joe, let's do a century in February........
Old 01-30-10, 03:18 PM   #9
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Don't worry- the snow will melt and then get ready and start collecting everything in two's.

Snow has threatened this week but all we have is wet roads. Just ideal for 6am commutes to work with 25degF temps.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 03:25 PM   #10
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Well, I tried riding and didn't get very far. Even with knobbies on my mountain bike, the wheels kept spinning and I wasn't getting anywhere. Then I fell over trying to turn, and decided it wasn't worth getting injured over. Sleet is different than snow, and much slippier. So I went for a long hike instead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow truck.jpg (61.8 KB, 4 views)
tarwheel is offline   Reply With Quote