Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eating GU energy gel during a ride

The energy gel packets, GU, or whatever brand, help me during a longer road ride, and especially on a century. However, handling the packets while riding are a problem for me.

I reach into a back pocket to pull out a packet. I use my teeth to tear off the top. I then must hold the top between my fingers so that I do not drop it. Then I squeeze out the contents into my mouth.

When complete I have a somewhat messy packet and the top to dispose of. I normally stuff them into anther back pocket for I do not want to liter the road.

The reaching for the packet, opening it with my teeth and the messy remains need to be handled better. What is a better plan?
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but listen you can get energy gels with a screw cap maxim is one there very good.i can see how you would have problems .thr the screw cap .

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone makes a "solid" form of energy gel. They're about the consistency of a real soft jujube and are much cleaner to handle.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through the same process. I now use the flask with Hammer Gel banana or raspberry flavor (don't like caffiene). You can pick up a flask about anywhere. Simply fill it before a ride. It has a pull up stopper (similiar to a water bottle) to minimize the mess. Tip-because the gel is so thick it can be slower to come out after you've taken a swig or two and there is more open space in the flask, keep the flask upside down in your jersey pocket while riding so the gel is down at the tip. Just make sure you've closed the stopper pretty good so it doesn't leak out while riding!
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stop for 30 seconds and eat it. Carry a ziplock for the debris.
    Last edited by dedhed; 01-30-10 at 01:44 PM.
    '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I went through the same process. I now use the flask with Hammer Gel banana or raspberry flavor (don't like caffiene). You can pick up a flask about anywhere. Simply fill it before a ride. It has a pull up stopper (similiar to a water bottle) to minimize the mess. Tip-because the gel is so thick it can be slower to come out after you've taken a swig or two and there is more open space in the flask, keep the flask upside down in your jersey pocket while riding so the gel is down at the tip. Just make sure you've closed the stopper pretty good so it doesn't leak out while riding!
    Adding a little bit of water to thin the gel helps to make it flow better. Better to have the flask in a holder than your pocket for this as it will be more likely to leak if it is diluted.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for the flask

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just a bit on these jels going out of date ,one of the lads in our groop i seen him taking one that was three months out of date ,i asked was that not a bit on the dodgy side ,he said no it would be fine.this guy is one of the top pathologist in the country .there you go a bit of useless information .

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think many of the "best used by" dates are kind of like the "lather, rinse, repeat" directions on shampoo and the instructions to change the oil in you car every three months on the little sticker they place on your windshield. Best for the ones selling you the products, not necessarily best for you.

My Bikes
    Leader 780-R; Rockhopper FSR;Trek 660; Kona Blast Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on Ziplock bag for "squozed" gel debris.
    +1 for stopping briefly to consume

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over here we have "Sell by" dates and "Use by" dates. Use by is well worth taking note off as the product could get contaminated. Gell in a sealed container with a use by date is for the benefit of the Manufacturer. Providing it is stored right then nothing can happen to the contents of a sealed container that would harm you.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least one brand has a strip of the package that holds the ripped off piece to the main body if you don't have the coordination to manage the torn off bit. You guys soooo over complicate things. When you're done, roll top over a little, and stick under bottom edge of your bike shorts, just above your knee. Yeash...

And the little cubes, moons, etc. of gummy bear consistency gels work great too. You don't have to eat the contents of an entire package and you can use remainder on your next ride.

I hate to think of some of you folks eating a banana while your ride...."Maybe I could install a composter on my recumbent!".
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never had any issue eating/using GU while riding. I just tear off the top with my teeth and squeeze from the bottom with the packet in my mouth. The issue I have is trying to eat a Powerbar, or similar type of food, while riding at an upper zone three HR. Every time I try I practically aspirate on it. I suppose it just takes practice.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this and mix chocolate and raspberry gel in the flask 50/50. The full flask equals 5 packs of GU. Never a hassle to get the flask open and no packages to store in my jersey.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/produ...-flask.hf.html
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 dedhed. Stop, eat and disposed. I use powerbars. Double chocolate latte. I also drink Accelerate on long rides.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Man View Post
    The issue I have is trying to eat a Powerbar, or similar type of food, while riding at an upper zone three HR. Every time I try I practically aspirate on it. I suppose it just takes practice.
    Even pro racers wait for a less hectic part of the ride to eat.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Even pro racers wait for a less hectic part of the ride to eat.
    Hmmm, and here I thought I was being hard core.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ride with no hands?

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two interesting lines of thought are taken from this thread, for me. First: The flask seems to be a very good alternative to the individual packets of GU. I believe I will adapt that method. Second: There is a major difference of attitude toward a long ride in this group. There are the ones that take their time and will stop for whatever they need. Then there are those that want to keep a good time in a distance ride, so do everything on the move. It seems the "stopping" group does not understand the mentality of the "keep riding" group.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    It seems the "stopping" group does not understand the mentality of the "keep riding" group.
    We understand it. We just don't share it.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    Two interesting lines of thought are taken from this thread, for me. First: The flask seems to be a very good alternative to the individual packets of GU. I believe I will adapt that method. Second: There is a major difference of attitude toward a long ride in this group. There are the ones that take their time and will stop for whatever they need. Then there are those that want to keep a good time in a distance ride, so do everything on the move. It seems the "stopping" group does not understand the mentality of the "keep riding" group.
    One other idea-there is a really small bag that fastens by velcro on your top tube and behind the stem where small essentials can be stored. It's a perfect size (even the miniature versions) for flasks, gel packets (full and empty), etc. and can be easily reached while still moving.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flask

Cyril

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I willing to try a flask...what is everyone putting in it?
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast