Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

medical question

thought i would ask this question here im usually on touring forum , but i need to know the answer to this medical question as it's affecting my cycling and mental thoughts big time.
    i gave up takeing codene based tablets for the relife of migrain headache's. now i 've been takeing these tablets many years now and talk about getting withdrawl symptoms funny my headache is'ent as bad as i thought since giving the codene up.
    anyway i won't go into all the symptoms im going through ,all i want to know has anyone gone through something simular and did you come through ok .
    im three weeks off the codene now and still feel terrible,as i said my cycling has suffered i cant get more than 20 miles in now without feeling totally jacked ,i have been cycling all my life btw.
    so will things better or should i just go back on the solpadeine.
    thanks for your time .
    cheers
    anto.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Codeine symptoms and side effects of withdrawl from codeine

The worst symptoms pass within a few days, but it can take months to feel normal.
    • runny nose
    • sweating
    • muscle twitching
    • muscle pain
    • headaches
    • irregular heartbeat
    • nausea and vomiting
    • high blood pressure
    • fever
    • insomnia
    • dehydration
    • yawning
    • weakness
    • stomach cramps
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you discussed this with your physician?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming off 6 months on Fentanyl patches and Lortab was pretty rough for about 4 days and getting to sleep was kind of shaky for a few weeks. My feet would feel cold and my legs couldn't be still. Benedryl helped when I couldn't sleep. Within a couple of months it was over.

Might as well deal with it now. If you go back on the meds you will just have to start over and go through it again later.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank's folks ,ashposo it would cost me 50 bucks to find out that info,10wheels i could name a good few of those systoms especally stomach cramps muscle pains there a few more but i wont go on.blues dawg thanks also yes im going to go through with it no point in going back now.cheers all.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stick with it. You can do it. Come back next week with an update.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not familiar with Solpadeine-brand meds - not aware of it's use in the States. But, codeine is codeine. Looks as if the codeine component of the Solpadeine variants is fairly low. That should lessen the length of time that you are uncomfortable.
    Have you had the help of a healthcare practitioner with your codeine cessation?
    Not aware of any great danger associated with stopping what you've been taking.

Hang in there!
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank's 10 wheels i sure will stick with it.janmm my doctor has me on another tablet for migrain no codeine.it was the amount of solpadiene i was takeing every day that's the problem ,6 sometimes 8 so they all add up .

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This does not constitute medical advise. It is for general information only.

Rebound headaches with codeine cessation are a real problem. Many folks recommend using a short-acting NSAID such as ibuprofen in order to get through the rebound period which can last 2-4 weeks.

You might drop patentcad a line on the PM. He was on large doses of opioids for a long time for back pain and one day said to hell with it. He wrote up his experiences with it a year or two ago but I think it would be hard to track that down on this site, given the poor search function and all. I'm sure he'd be willing to share his experience with you.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Addendum: this site can be creepy sometimes. Now there are a bunch of ads for addiction recovery up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Addendum: this site can be creepy sometimes. Now there are a bunch of ads for addiction recovery up.
    thanks for that the weak link.

On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've noticed that. There was a camera question the other day and suddenly it's all these Pentax and Nikon ads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drug Addiction is Serious

HI,
    I would consult a expert in addiction treatment, Most MD's are good at runny noses and UTI, but chemical addiction and treatment takes a good understanding about whats changed in your brain chemistry. THe reason you feel bad is possiably due to changes that have occured in your brain.
    There are numerous drugs that can help restore normal chemical activity in the brain. Some of the newer hybrid pain drugs are 10 to 15 more effective than the plain old drugs due to increased brain blocking activity this also increase the risk of addiction and chemical changes.
    So seek medical help from a Dr who treat addiction. Drug addiction can take away your ability to enjoy life.
    Doug
    http://www.hbo.com/addiction/underst...e_pathway.html
    Last edited by djnzlab1; 01-30-10 at 01:34 PM.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just on the migraine bit- After I had the Bypass I was prescribed a very strong painkiller that was based on Codein. Rarely had to take them but as I was weaned off the Beta blocker- the migraines re-started. Apparantly the BB had been keeping migraine attacks at bay. As soon as I went to the doc and told him about the migraine- he explained about the BB's keeping migraine at bay and took me off the Codein.

He knew about the Codein addiction and just did not take a chance. Only problem is that when I get a migraine- There is not much else that works for me.

So might be an idea to get the blood pressure checked out- just to rule that out as a migraine inducer.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank's again folks as it happens im also on beta blocker's for the same reason .my blood pressure if ok (i think) im also on lipitop for high cholesterol .emm guess it woulden't do any harm to get the doc to checkme out.so am i going to feel any better in the comming week's ,i sure hope so or there will be some nice touring kit for sale.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After several years of taking codeine off and on it was a very rough ride for a while for me. Feeling crummy overall and inability to sleep very well were on the top of the list. Very weird and strange dreams too. Good luck.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antokelly View Post
    thanks for that the weak link.
    I never make light of anyone's medical condition.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never make light of anyone's medical condition.
    sorry i meant it,the more info the better appreciate all the feedback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS,
    Many of the Symptoms you are describing are also some of the negative side effects of Lipitor,
    I cant take statins cause it causes my Liver to stop making essential things like co enzyme 10 and
    many more amino acids. Not every one can take statins without the more serious negative effects,
    many of the symptoms resemble MS, ALS, and can hurt some people in as alittle as 6 mos.
    I know cause I had trouble walking up stairs and such. Extreme fatigue and couldn't exercise.

http://cholesterol.emedtv.com/lipito...e-effects.html

Know all you meds side effects some don't even play nice together.
    Statins in many countries come black box warnings .
    Doug