Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N+1 with Poplock and Disc brakes

I had a FS Proflex and a Coyote Mtb with a Judy SL fork in the nineties but they were too much hassle to maintain IMO. (and I really disliked the pogoing of the Judy). I thought my days with Mtb's with suspension were over but I have had a lot of fun with a couple of rigid Mtb's this last year so when I saw this used Wheeler with a Reba SL Fork for sale yesterday I phoned my wife and explained that I needed yet another bike. I thought it was for next summer but when I got it home I decided to keep my Nokian Freddies Lite on the commuter and bought some Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro for this one. Took it for my regular forestroad ride today.It snowed and was around 10 Fahrenheit so I really got to test it.. The Icespiker Pro's are great tires and the bike was stiff and nimble. Dualcontrol shifters will take some time to get used to. I am new to Discbrakes and a bit scared of the extra maintenance, but they sure are the best stoppers I have had .

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disc brakes require less maintenance than rim brakes but they do take a bit of care in setting up. Once that is done it is fit and forget- except for pad and fluid changes. Be warned though- those pads will look very thin- even when new. Good idea to carry a spare set in the bike shed though as they can wear out very quickly on a muddy ride.

Don't know wheeler bikes but is looks well equipped- So when are you going to get it Muddy? Or was these pics taken before the cold ride?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Disc brakes require less maintenance than rim brakes but they do take a bit of care in setting up.
    I agree, but with the caveat, "provided you don't bang up the rotors."

The operating principle requires that the rotors flex. Thus, they are not stiff enough to resist bending when struck from the side. When this happens, they'll need straightening.

Other than that, I go thousands of miles on my disc-brake equipped road bike with hardly a thought about them.

I don't know a thing about mountain bikes, but yours sure looks nice. I hope you enjoy it.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My natural retrogrouch tendencies made me very apprehensive about buying a bike with hydraulic disc brakes, but the Avid Juicy 5 brakes on my Stumpy FSR have performed beautifully and maintenance free for two years. I have heard good things about the Shimano XT brakes. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not my normal style of bike but I do like the looks of it. I rented a bike similar to that one last summer for vacation riding on flat-land (best bike they had) and it was fun for a change. Would love to see some pics of your Norway rides!

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good looking bike. But dude, someone dropped a box of roofing nails and you ran over them.