Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 01-30-10, 04:30 PM   #1
plodderslusk

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
N+1 with Poplock and Disc brakes

I had a FS Proflex and a Coyote Mtb with a Judy SL fork in the nineties but they were too much hassle to maintain IMO. (and I really disliked the pogoing of the Judy). I thought my days with Mtb's with suspension were over but I have had a lot of fun with a couple of rigid Mtb's this last year so when I saw this used Wheeler with a Reba SL Fork for sale yesterday I phoned my wife and explained that I needed yet another bike. I thought it was for next summer but when I got it home I decided to keep my Nokian Freddies Lite on the commuter and bought some Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro for this one. Took it for my regular forestroad ride today.It snowed and was around 10 Fahrenheit so I really got to test it.. The Icespiker Pro's are great tires and the bike was stiff and nimble. Dualcontrol shifters will take some time to get used to. I am new to Discbrakes and a bit scared of the extra maintenance, but they sure are the best stoppers I have had .

plodderslusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 04:39 PM   #2
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Disc brakes require less maintenance than rim brakes but they do take a bit of care in setting up. Once that is done it is fit and forget- except for pad and fluid changes. Be warned though- those pads will look very thin- even when new. Good idea to carry a spare set in the bike shed though as they can wear out very quickly on a muddy ride.

Don't know wheeler bikes but is looks well equipped- So when are you going to get it Muddy? Or was these pics taken before the cold ride?

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 05:18 PM   #3
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Disc brakes require less maintenance than rim brakes but they do take a bit of care in setting up.
I agree, but with the caveat, "provided you don't bang up the rotors."

The operating principle requires that the rotors flex. Thus, they are not stiff enough to resist bending when struck from the side. When this happens, they'll need straightening.

Other than that, I go thousands of miles on my disc-brake equipped road bike with hardly a thought about them.

I don't know a thing about mountain bikes, but yours sure looks nice. I hope you enjoy it.
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 06:33 PM   #4
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My natural retrogrouch tendencies made me very apprehensive about buying a bike with hydraulic disc brakes, but the Avid Juicy 5 brakes on my Stumpy FSR have performed beautifully and maintenance free for two years. I have heard good things about the Shimano XT brakes. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
BluesDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 10:26 PM   #5
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Not my normal style of bike but I do like the looks of it. I rented a bike similar to that one last summer for vacation riding on flat-land (best bike they had) and it was fun for a change. Would love to see some pics of your Norway rides!
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 11:04 PM   #6
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
Good looking bike. But dude, someone dropped a box of roofing nails and you ran over them.
Robert Foster is offline   Reply With Quote