Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    1983 Pinarello Treviso ,2008 Specialized Tarmac, 1984 Ciocc, De Rosa 1982, Fuji Absolute 2.0 touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of thoses days, weird but fun

My shop is right near a, shall we say, borderline area. Lots of drugs, crime etc. just a few streets away. So yesterday afternoon a guy comes by riding a full suspension Motobecane MTB and wants to sell it to me for very low money, quick cash deal and I bought it.
    I spent the day tearing it down and greasing and adjusting everything, setting up the shifters, seat and supension and decide to go for a test ride , in the rain, late in the afternoon. No prep, just a ride. I am 3 miles from my car ,in the woods, and the rear tire just explodes. I was looking for a workout so I rode it back to the car on the flat in the soft sand. Believe me, I got my workout but I don't think I hurt the rim too badly.
    Anyone ever ride a flat home? Seemed to work pretty good. I just kept my weight as forward as I could and used a low gear. I kinda like this bike. New tires on Monday!

Mike
    "ready to navigate"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there might be a problem with the bike more serious than a bad tire.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinda agree with that... might be a little 'warm' to the touch.............................

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't guess you ran the serial number past the police stolen property division?
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    1983 Pinarello Treviso ,2008 Specialized Tarmac, 1984 Ciocc, De Rosa 1982, Fuji Absolute 2.0 touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No..I knew this guy..it was his bike.. he just needed some quick money. Needs shift quickly in this economy.

And, BTW, the Motobecane MTB's are not worth all that much, not really highly regarded in MTB circles.

All that aside, I found it an interesting bike to ride. The full suspension feel is a little hard to get used to but it has some promise for trail riding. It was a little tricky to get the "V" brakes set up and get all the gears on track but it is on the road to healing.
    I just need to buy some new tubes and tires. I am hoping to find something not quite so knobby, at my age I don't expect the big air but a little off road may be nice. Next time I'll pack a tube and tools :-).
    "ready to navigate"

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought you were going to tell us that the original owner came along and wanted his bike back.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick paint job and a new tyre and tube and your ready to go.

Been offered cheap bikes before myself and I always checked them out. Never bought one but a neighbour bought a new looking bike for a very cheap price. Looked good with shiny paintwork and it was a Bianchi. Put it this way- it had a Bianchi sticker on the headtube and was new- but it was not a Bianchi. But I can't see someone making up Motobecane stickers to put on a bike to try and sell it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan