User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are some good places to retire?

Oh boy,
    I need to find a warmer place to live for my health. We have been looking on the internet, talking to people. The result so far is confusion..

Part of the problem is that cycling is not an issue for most people. We like Florida, but much of it is not so good for cyclists (for example).

So many questions.

Where are you thinking of retiring?
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Texas has anything you could want.

Arizona and California would keep you warm.

Whats wrong with Florida?
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About a billion grannies that can't see over the steering wheel. High rate of auto accidents
    down there. Since we would want to be near the ocean and live inexpensively, I suspect anywhere
    we go, they will be.
    Stewart Brand

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Green Valley, Arizona has a great climate, a sizable cycling population, wide streets, and nearby mountains.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of riding would you prefer-mostly flats, mostly hills or a good combination. Do you prefer rural or urban living? Help us narrow the scope a bit. Do you plan to keep your Maine residence for summer visits?

My daughter lives in Tucson, Az and it is intriguing-summer riding best done very early in the day. I know some folks considering an area around Greenville to Clemson, SC. Affordable and a really nice area. I'll probably wind up in Western Piedmont, NC which offers nearly year round riding, hills, more of a rural setting, etc. Plus there are a few golf courses around as well.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
    Green Valley, Arizona has a great climate, a sizable cycling population, wide streets, and nearby mountains.
    Where is Green Valley?
    Ride your Ride!!

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of places in Florida that are getting more bike friendly. You can retire really close to the Withlachoochee Trail which is 40+ miles long. Inverness is a nice town on the trail. Or you could get someplace near the West Orange Trail such as Winter Garden. I think they are putting in a trail system up in Deland also. They are also doing a trail someplace north of Daytona Beach.

If you want to go farther north, there are lots of lightly travelled roads near Live Oak, Cherry Lake and Suwanee FL. The drivers up there are very courteous.

Florida is rideable almost year round. In the summer, you need to get out in the morning before gets way too hot. In the "winter", the mornings can be a bit cold but usually the afternoons are just fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 wheels is right. Check out the Corpus Christie, TX area. Nice wide open spaces and inexpensive. You can buy home on the water at North
    Padre Island if you so desire or at Mustang Island at Port Aransas.
    Anywhere south of Port Lavaca is an ideal place to build a home. Key
    Allegro in Rockport is a very nice area with majority of homes have
    access to water. I just wish I could be there now cycling all year round
    like 10 wheels. Twice a year my wife and I visit in the spring and fall
    where we own a condo at North Padre Island. Everything in Texas is big and not as congested as Florida. Good luck in your search.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    What kind of riding would you prefer-mostly flats, mostly hills or a good combination. Do you prefer rural or urban living? Help us narrow the scope a bit. Do you plan to keep your Maine residence for summer visits?

My daughter lives in Tucson, Az and it is intriguing-summer riding best done very early in the day. I know some folks considering an area around Greenville to Clemson, SC. Affordable and a really nice area. I'll probably wind up in Western Piedmont, NC which offers nearly year round riding, hills, more of a rural setting, etc. Plus there are a few golf courses around as well.
    Good questions.

We like small cities. I would like the 'combo 'special'. Around here you can take easy rides around the coast, or a pretty hilly ride just
    a few miles inland with mountain rides an hour or so by car.

We hope to keep the house in maine for a few years. Eventually we'll have to sell, but I'd like to come back here
    summers for a while.
    Stewart Brand

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Villages, FL. "Epcot" for adults.

Golf cart paths everywhere, suitable for cycling. Something to do every minute.
    Last edited by bobthib; 01-31-10 at 09:55 AM.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Arizona is rated the third best state for bicycling, combined with their nice winter weather, it seems like a good choice.

We scouted out Florida some last month. We are going to keep looking. Deland, FL is a nice "little" town, so if they get a trail going, that would be interesting. There is a college in Deland (Stetson), and you are relatively close to Daytona, but far enough to not have the negatives of Daytona.

Right now we split time between the Greenville, SC area and the mountains of NC. While there are a lot of bicycles in Greenville, the roads are not bike friendly at all. The mountains of NC are great, but the winter weather is not.

We will probably scout out Arizona next.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Half the homes in my community, are lived in from people that left Florida. Some had to take half the asking price to get out of there. It took some of the people over 3 years to sell. I retired near Pensacola, 1 year was enough for me. You could certainly get a good deal there. Anyhow good luck.
    George

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of places are probably good. Florida can be very good. We're in kind of the north end of South Florida-90% of my riding is along the Atlantic Ocean on a place called Jupiter Island. It is a very, very, very wealthy enclave; think Tiger Woods, Greg Norman, Celine, etc. I live 3.5 miles from the bridge to JI. Rich people apparently don't like Florida summers and even in the winter, when they are here, they aren't on the roads in the early morning when most of us ride. It is very safe. I say that as I'm typing from my hospital room, the result of complications from surgery from a bike crash, but it was a slippery surface not a car. Anyway, there are only a few days a year you can't ride here.

North Cental Florida is a great place to ride. West and north of Gainesville, where the University of Florida is located, is great. There are a lot of very lightly traveled rural roads and a lot of relatively affordable little cities.

We're close to retirement. Until my bike accident, I was hoping to spend my retirement winters riding in Florida and my summers riding in Western North Carolina. My surgery was such that I had to be totally non weight bearing on that leg for at least 8 weeks; I'm hoping to be able to start weight bearing therapy next week. I had a dvt complication, and I'm not sure how that will affect my little plans. I'm hoping I will be physically and then mentally able to ride again, and while I know the accident was a freak, it will be tough to get over it.

All these places people suggest sound great. For us, it is largely where we are comfortable, where the kids are and where our friends are. But we're not going anywhere where the weather is nasty like it is in the NE in the winter.

Good luck.

My Bikes
    Bianchi Infinito, Wilier Mortirolo Veloce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered Australia or New Zealand?

Very outdoor-ish and family orientated, respectful of the older generation, great health-care and you can get a retirement visa (in Oz) once you're 55 (well Brits can... not sure about US citizens)... oh and the roads are empty.

You'd have plenty of people flying out to visit!

Banned.
    My Bikes
    2001 Cannondale R2000 with over 70,000 miles on it
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boulder Colorado Baby! It's a cyclist and health nut heaven.

Of course it also helps to be a millionaire...

Sarge
    Last edited by Sgt. Spillco; 01-31-10 at 11:19 AM.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arizona is where I'm going. Even the summer heat is better than snow or freezing temps. I can ride in 110 if I take the right precautions...just not as far.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Face View Post
    Have you considered Australia or New Zealand?

Very outdoor-ish and family orientated, respectful of the older generation, great health-care and you can get a retirement visa (in Oz) once you're 55 (well Brits can... not sure about US citizens)... oh and the roads are empty.

You'd have plenty of people flying out to visit!
    I haven't even been to California yet. I'll look into it, love the idea but
    we couldn't visit relatives.
    Last edited by late; 01-31-10 at 12:07 PM.
    Stewart Brand

My Bikes
    Lynskey R230, S-Works Epic, Bianchi Speciale, Tricross Expert
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife won't leave the kids especially when there are grandkids and they are both staying in SW Ontario. We will live here but winter in Palm Desert.

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by late View Post
    What are some good places to retire?
    Wherever you flatted.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    We will live here but winter in Palm Desert.
    Excellent choice. Were it not for the horrible mess the politicians have put this state in I would stay...but I can't deal with the politics here any longer than I have to.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have often wondered where I would live when I retire. Thanks to various things it has to be here. Only consolation is that I will be retired- I will be able to jump on my bike and 3 weeks later be in the South of France after stopping off at a few Vineyards and distilleries on the way.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by late View Post
    .......want to be near the ocean and live inexpensively, ..........
    Here's the problem, IMHO.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were vacationing in Panama City Beach last week. I saw a cyclist from Iowa riding thru Rosemary Beach and Seaside. He said he was on his way home and would have ~65 miles logged by the time he got home. He said there is a bike path/lane/trail that runs most of the way between Destin and Panama City Beach.
    If we could afford the area (Rosemary Beach or Seaside or Wild Heron) we'd be there next week.
    Last edited by RonH; 02-03-10 at 06:11 PM.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Panama Beach area is relatively cheap in the winter if you rent. Rates go up a lot from Spring Break on through the summer. Not much of a town IMHO. More like a collection of condos and putt putt golf.

+10 Live near the ocean and inexpensive = oxymoron in the USA.

Think rent not buy. Florida real estate is a mess right now, and check out real estate taxes and property insurance (including hurricane and flood). That may talk you out of ownership. My area of North Carolina is full of half backs, people that moved to Florida from the north east, hated it, and moved half way back.

My Bikes
    1983 Pinarello Treviso ,2008 Specialized Tarmac, 1984 Ciocc, De Rosa 1982, Fuji Absolute 2.0 touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't condemn Florida, it takes a while but after you know the state you will find it is pretty good for biking. Like 67walkon said the area near Gainesville is filled with great roads and trails and is mostly empty. I can ride all morning in some areas and see only a handful of cars and housing is (now) very cheap. If you stay in North Florida you can ride all winter in comfort and when spring arrives it is 6 hours to the mountains of North Carolina, the bicyling theme park!

Mike
    "ready to navigate"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast