Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else on the trainer or doing spinning classes?

I always find time to ride on either Saturday or Sunday. Just a bit of a habit I seem to have acquired.

Unfortuately we have a cover of several inches of snow, covered by a good bit of sleet and ice-with that covered by more snow. Tarwheel tried the knobby tire deal and I agree this stuff is just too dicey to attempt without studded tires. It is very much akin to ice.

Pulled out the dreaded trainer and my TT bike. I wanted to work on the positioning of the bars some anyway so why not. I don't have an option of riding in front of a TV, video etc so just got out in the garage facing the walk through door so I could see outside. As hard as I pedaled I just could not get that bike to come off the trainer and out the door.......I'm glad I did it-now that it's over-but it's certainly at the bottom of my list in terms of favorite riding activities.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    .......I'm glad I did it-now that it's over-but it's certainly at the bottom of my list in terms of favorite riding activities.
    Me too. I have to sternly lecture myself on the "happy you did it" to get my tush on the trainer.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did an hour of Coach Troy yesterday. It' ls like getting your teeth cleaned. You know it's good for you but...
    Last edited by The Weak Link; 01-31-10 at 04:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to spin twice a week, I like doing it that way much better than the trainer in the basement. It's the social thing I guess, or it could be the 5'2" instructor. Too bad my wife does it too.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't force myself to drag the trainer into the house so I signed up for a three month program with a personal trainer. Hopefully I'll still be able to get on a bike when this is over

Maxine - exercise.jpg
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love rockin the trainer. My new deal is to go into the basement, set the timer for 3 hours on longer ride days and turn off the lights and ride enjoying listening to my heart beat.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go dog Go View Post
    I love rockin the trainer. My new deal is to go into the basement, set the timer for 3 hours on longer ride days and turn off the lights and ride enjoying listening to my heart beat.
    WTF??
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between the Mrs. and I, we have 486 miles on the trainer, we fondly call, "The Klingon Torture Device"! for the month of Jan., Arrugh! Southern Colorado has iffy weather at best from Dec-April (What is SPRING like, we'd really like to know) so sadly the balance of "trainer miles to bicycle miles" is going to be lopsided till it turns to summer in May!! Like Ozzy Osborne says, "The Road To Nowhere, Leads TO ME"!
    Last edited by bjjoondo; 01-31-10 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Deleting information
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go dog Go View Post
    You Sir are a GOD!! I can at best do 1 hr. on my trainer, (that's with trying to keep a 15mph. avg. speed and a couple of 25-27mph sprints!), I'd be in traction or have a massive HEART ATTACK , if I had to ride a trainer for "3 HOURS"!! I bow in your presence!! :O
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, got back in the torture chamber again today and did some intervals. Ugh.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This Winter I've set up the Team MagTurbo II (that I picked at Goodwill for $10) and used it for the first time in, maybe, 8-9 years. Not fun! But I am able to spin for 20-30 min. (looking at a TV) on days when I can't get out. I was able to get out this weekend - 10 miles yesterday and 5 today - and that exempts me from trainer tedium for the weekend.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going on 31 days straight. As part of my New Years resolution was to get up every day at 5:00 and spin. Dress for the cold weather, make coffee and go spin for 45 minutes regardless if I make it out for a real ride. I view the spinning more as part of my weight program then conditioning, but I will be better prepared for when if gets warmer. 45 minutes is boring and pure torture.

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe - Doin' the "roller derby" with the new acquisition, posted some observations here:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Man-new-tricks

But even when it feels like I'm doing "good" for myself on the trainer, rollers or in a spin or comp -u trainer class, I remind myself that, no matter how hard I work -

My Bikes
    Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're doing Coach Fred's (RoadBikeRider) Power to the Pedals 12 week routine on spinner bikes at the health club this winter- twice a week one hour sessions; did it last winter and results were pretty amazing. ALso do one of the aerobics spinning sessions on Sat AM, and ride outdoors on Sat or Sun when weather permits (just rode outdoors today for the first time in Jan).
    edit: not as an organized class, just my wife and I, and a riding buddy.
    Last edited by Dellphinus; 02-03-10 at 11:48 AM.
    DP
    04 Specialized Expedition Sport
    08 Surly LHT

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mon-Wed-Fri night, one hour at the local gym, also Saturday am. Hate it, but I can't stand riding in the cold. So I loaded up an MP3 player with a slew of tunes and crank till I'm ready to puke. It should at least help the cardio conditioning, and I'm getting used to higher cadence levels. Can't wait till spring.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After years of riding the trainer each winter, I am so over it. I haven't given a thought to riding it this year and I doubt I will. I just can't stand it anymore. I've been doing some running lately as I have to do something, but I haven't been on my road bike in months. So I guess it will take me a little longer to find my fitness this year. The roads are a mess and I don't expect I'll be on the bike until sometime in late Feb. Cie la vie.

My Bikes
    se draft, schwinn breeze (1977?) and schwinn mountain bike that keeps falling apart;0P
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was using a trainer with the backup mountain bike I have until the crankset became loose. It's just too hard to bring my commuter bike in and out of the basement....we have a really small rental home, and bringing the bike in and out of the house is pretty hard, let alone the basement.

I suppose I will have to get the mountain bike fixed once again. I really would like to just give it to someone who wouldn't mind fixing it up. I have an old Schwinn I would like to try and fix up and use to commute....so, I haven't used the trainer in about 2 weeks. I used to use it an average of once every 2 days or so for about an hour? Something like that.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I attend a 2 hour trainer class two times a week and ride the trainer and rollers several times a week at home. I've found that having a plan when riding at home helps greatly. Starting out the session with some high cadence drills, lactate ladders and single leg drills followed with intervals and recoveries helps the hour go fast. Just riding at the same intensity for an hour would probably be considered torture if administered by the CIA.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    08 Trek Madone 5.5, 07 Lemond Versailles-Carbon, 06 Lemond Croix de fer-True Temper, 95 Bianchi Eros-Chromoly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I always find time to ride on either Saturday or Sunday. Just a bit of a habit I seem to have acquired.

Unfortuately we have a cover of several inches of snow, covered by a good bit of sleet and ice-with that covered by more snow. Tarwheel tried the knobby tire deal and I agree this stuff is just too dicey to attempt without studded tires. It is very much akin to ice.

Pulled out the dreaded trainer and my TT bike. I wanted to work on the positioning of the bars some anyway so why not. I don't have an option of riding in front of a TV, video etc so just got out in the garage facing the walk through door so I could see outside. As hard as I pedaled I just could not get that bike to come off the trainer and out the door.......I'm glad I did it-now that it's over-but it's certainly at the bottom of my list in terms of favorite riding activities.

I ride the spinning bike at the club or at home 5 out of 7 days a week for 15 to 18 miles each time. To cold and icy out. One almost fatal bike accident is enough for me. I do not mind the spinning bike. Its not as much fun as riding one of my road bikes but I must stay in shape for riding season.
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5
    2007 Lemond Versailles
    2006 Lemond Croix de fer
    1995 Bianchi Eros

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    After years of riding the trainer each winter, I am so over it. I haven't given a thought to riding it this year and I doubt I will. I just can't stand it anymore. I've been doing some running lately as I have to do something, but I haven't been on my road bike in months. So I guess it will take me a little longer to find my fitness this year. The roads are a mess and I don't expect I'll be on the bike until sometime in late Feb. Cie la vie.
    Good to see you have electricity to be able to get online. I was wondering if you might have been affected by the weather Friday-lots of folks were without power for a while over your way.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Jan., 10 days on the bike and 12 at spin class. I figure that I've done a total of about 500 effective miles this month.

I enjoy spin class, to a degree. They're really great for concentrating an hour of effort. Our gym has Keiser spin bikes that give a power calculation, plus HR, cals, cadence & time.

It's nice to be able to do both during the winter. Yesterday I did a spin class and was starting to feel a little sluggish. I thought that I may need a break from riding. When I rode outside today, I felt terrific. The change of scenery really did me good.

I hate trainers.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found a new way to increase the torture; breaking in new Brooks saddles while riding a trainer.

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Secteur, 2005 Trek 1500, 1988 Nishiki Olympic, 19?? Trek MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I broke down and bought a new trainer yesterday so I can get in some workouts prior to spring. The bike is set up and ready, now I just need to get psyched up to ride without going anywhere! I was planning to "ride" a half hour tomorrow night, but I've got to complete some online applications for my oldest son. He's entering college this year! It's always something, eh?

I rode outdoors in the cold last year but just was not consistent enough to have a good base before springtime. I want to be in better condition this year, and I hope the trainer will let me dial in my new saddle as well.

Besides using iPods/MP3 players and books or videos, how do you guys pass the time while on the trainer?
    Check out my blog and leave a comment!

2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1989 Pinarello Montello ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1988 Centurion Ironman Expert ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1986 Basso Gap ** 198? Trek 820 ** 19?? Roberts Audax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjjoondo View Post
    You Sir are a GOD!! I can at best do 1 hr. on my trainer, (that's with trying to keep a 15mph. avg. speed and a couple of 25-27mph sprints!), I'd be in traction or have a massive HEART ATTACK , if I had to ride a trainer for "3 HOURS"!! I bow in your presence!! :O

I use to watch TV/movie or listen to music but I'd rather not anymore. I'd rather do intervals but some days ya just got to get in the time.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by horatio View Post

Besides using iPods/MP3 players and books or videos, how do you guys pass the time while on the trainer?
    A 101" screen with surround sound helps some:

oldschool areodynamic brick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast