Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Jamis Xenith Race vs Cannondale Cyclocross

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-10, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I am considering purchasing a 2008 Jamis Xenith carbon race, does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this bike? I have a 2006 Cannondale Optimo cyclocross bike that I have been using for my road bike the last 3 years, doing approximately 2000 miles a year. Just looking to shed a few pounds (as it weighs 25 lbs) and be a little faster for possibly a few fun races and longer rides. I am also considering converting the Cannondale into a touring bike and also use it in the trainer in the winter.
I also have a 2009 Gary Fisher Paragon as my mountain bike.

Thanks for the input
Old 01-31-10, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
The Jamis Xenith is a great bike. It is, however, a bike designed for competition. If you're looking for a fast, responsive ride these are a great deal Can you get to test ride one?l
Old 02-01-10, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I have test rode it, it is owned/riden by the local Jamis dealer. They have spent a great deal of time sitting it up to fit me. It was riden by them approx. 800 miles and now are selling it for $1700. Being that it is a carbon frame and has dura-ace & ultegra drive train I thought that it is a decent deal. I guess that I was looking for some feedback to convince myself that I wasn't being rediculus in wanting this bike. I am 55 and trying to improve my fitness level as well as speed and endurance, the last 3 years I have been riding the Cannondale cyclocross as a road bike in conjunction with the Gary fisher mountain bike. I am considering either selling the cyclocross or converting it into a touring/work commuter bike. Suggestions?? Is this being rediculus?
Old 02-01-10, 05:37 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
If buying a better bike is ridiculous, you'll have plenty of company here. If you like it and can afford it, go for it.
Old 02-05-10, 10:05 AM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pdarcherman
Yes I have test rode it, it is owned/riden by the local Jamis dealer. They have spent a great deal of time sitting it up to fit me. It was riden by them approx. 800 miles and now are selling it for $1700. Being that it is a carbon frame and has dura-ace & ultegra drive train I thought that it is a decent deal. I guess that I was looking for some feedback to convince myself that I wasn't being rediculus in wanting this bike. I am 55 and trying to improve my fitness level as well as speed and endurance, the last 3 years I have been riding the Cannondale cyclocross as a road bike in conjunction with the Gary fisher mountain bike. I am considering either selling the cyclocross or converting it into a touring/work commuter bike. Suggestions?? Is this being rediculus?
If you can afford it, do it! I so want a cyclo for off road/touring. And the Jamis deal sound great. Don't know the bike, but since it's fitted and you're happy it sounds perfect. It's kinda like shacking up with the girl of your dreams and finding out it working out!

You have my permission.