Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 01-31-10, 01:43 PM   #1
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Never Ending Quest for the Perfect Saddle

So in my continuing search for the elusive "perfect" saddle I scored a brand new Specialized Toupe saddle on eBay for $80. There has to be the perfect mate for my backside out there somewhere...hopefully this is it. I was in an LBS out in Arizona (visiting my daughter and son in-law) and they had the Specialized sit bone measuring thing so I'm pretty sure this saddle in 155mm will be the right size...I just hope it's the one since my collection of "like new" saddles is growing.

Metric Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 02:17 PM   #2
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I gave up on looking for the perfect saddle after the prostate op. Then 5 years later itarrived on a bike I bought. Didn't last long though. Suddenly on one ride it went off and I had to start the search again.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 02:29 PM   #3
'47

Bikes:
After lotsa years riding, I've never found the perfect saddle that disappears under me-- including the iconic Brooks. I have managed to accumulate a box full of failed candidates for the honor. Some saddles are noticably betther than others. These days, and for several past seasons, I've been riding Regals and Flite Trans Am Gel's.....but after "x" amount of miles on any given day on any given saddle....the butt can still complain.

But, its all relative. I remember when the late 80's Turbo was considered a comfy enough racing saddle.....I happily enough owned 2, but were I to ride them today I'd probably think otherwise. Some people still like the old Rolls.

Simple practices can help get you farther w/o discomfort...change position frequently, get up off the saddle regularly, sometimes spin heavier gears to help "unweight" the butt, good shorts, butt balm if need be, right saddle height, blah, blah................and simply some stoic endurance "in the end".
'47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 03:30 PM   #4
social suicide

Bikes:
Padded (not gel) shorts have worked great for me. This spring I am adding a Thudbuster ST twixt me and the ground.
social suicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 07:25 PM   #5
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric Man View Post
So in my continuing search for the elusive "perfect" saddle I scored a brand new Specialized Toupe saddle on eBay for $80. There has to be the perfect mate for my backside out there somewhere...hopefully this is it. I was in an LBS out in Arizona (visiting my daughter and son in-law) and they had the Specialized sit bone measuring thing so I'm pretty sure this saddle in 155mm will be the right size...I just hope it's the one since my collection of "like new" saddles is growing.

You will get a chance to see on the 13th. Palm Springs is the perfect testing ground. I have to take my Jamis because my Lapierre is heading for the bike hospital. I will be using the saddle off of the Lapierre for the century even on the more relaxed Jamis. Once you find the saddle that fits you will know it and at least know what will work. So far I think there are seven of us riding together.
Robert Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 07:50 PM   #6
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
You will get a chance to see on the 13th. Palm Springs is the perfect testing ground. I have to take my Jamis because my Lapierre is heading for the bike hospital. I will be using the saddle off of the Lapierre for the century even on the more relaxed Jamis. Once you find the saddle that fits you will know it and at least know what will work. So far I think there are seven of us riding together.
That's what I'm hoping for Bob...is Lapierre covering the frame?
Old 01-31-10, 08:17 PM   #7
Robert Foster
Banned.

Quote:
That's what I'm hoping for Bob...is Lapierre covering the frame?
They said they would but until I get my frame to them and it gets back I am not putting anything in the bank. Though the representative said they had never had one of these frames returned there is always a first time I guess. They are supposed to be pretty good at standing behind their frames so we will see.
At least I had finished the rebuild of the Jamis and while it isnít a performance bike it was what I did my first century on. More relaxed with a bit longer wheel base. Easy to ride with no hands when you remove a jacket or arm warmers. There is a long shot the Lapierre will be back by then but I am not sure I can get it back together in time.

It might knock me out of Bull Dog however but that is 4 weeks away.
Old 01-31-10, 08:26 PM   #8
monk

Bikes:
Got three letters for you: SMP
monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 08:29 PM   #9
NOS88

Bikes:
One can spend a considerable amount on the search. Mine got easier when I found an LBS that would let me try one and return it if it wasn't the right match. Only catch was that I had to end up buying somethings. I lucked out and found three saddles that all work for me. One of which is the gel Toupe. One suggestion is: don't over tighten the seat clamp on the seat post. These saddles or so minimal that they eaisly distort shape.
Old 01-31-10, 09:06 PM   #10
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk View Post
Got three letters for you: SMP
I'm on a Selle Italia gel flow right now...not impressed. I have a B-17, and several Specialized saddles (low end) as well as a couple of recommended Bontragers too. Perhaps an SMP is somewhere in the future, but I have a small fortune invested as it is.
Old 01-31-10, 09:07 PM   #11
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
One can spend a considerable amount on the search. Mine got easier when I found an LBS that would let me try one and return it if it wasn't the right match. Only catch was that I had to end up buying somethings. I lucked out and found three saddles that all work for me. One of which is the gel Toupe. One suggestion is: don't over tighten the seat clamp on the seat post. These saddles or so minimal that they eaisly distort shape.
I see the Toupe on more bikes than anything else. There must be a reason. Thanks on the tightening part too.
Old 01-31-10, 09:42 PM   #12
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:

I saw one of those in my bike box this afternoon when I was looking for some parts. Mine is white with blue trim and the non-gel version but the wider option. I hope you're able to use yours longer than I used mine.
Old 01-31-10, 09:58 PM   #13
Razzoo

Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher Wahoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by '47 View Post

Simple practices can help get you farther w/o discomfort...change position frequently, get up off the saddle regularly, sometimes spin heavier gears to help "unweight" the butt, good shorts, butt balm if need be, right saddle height, blah, blah................and simply some stoic endurance "in the end".
I am new to riding (Something other than Schwinn or Sears). I changed the saddle that came with my Fisher Wahoo (a Bontrager Race Lux - I felt it was too hard) for a Sonoma Gel 155 (it just looked & felt good in the store - no research so I have no idea how that saddle ranks)- Also I got shorts with padding, but I also use heaver gears, keep the seat low and don't put much weight on the saddle. I don't know what I am doing, just trying to figure things out and avoid a sore rear end.
Razzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 10:12 PM   #14
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzoo View Post
I am new to riding (Something other than Schwinn or Sears). I changed the saddle that came with my Fisher Wahoo (a Bontrager Race Lux - I felt it was too hard) for a Sonoma Gel 155 (it just looked & felt good in the store - no research so I have no idea how that saddle ranks)- Also I got shorts with padding, but I also use heaver gears, keep the seat low and don't put much weight on the saddle. I don't know what I am doing, just trying to figure things out and avoid a sore rear end.
Welcome Razzoo...I have a Sonoma Gel 155 as well. It started out good but I quickly decided it was too soft for me.
Old 01-31-10, 10:13 PM   #15
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
I saw one of those in my bike box this afternoon when I was looking for some parts. Mine is white with blue trim and the non-gel version but the wider option. I hope you're able to use yours longer than I used mine.
That's encouraging.
Old 01-31-10, 10:51 PM   #16
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
For me the perfect saddle is the old Ritchey Vector. It's highly rounded and fairly narrow so it LOOKS like it should feel like heck. But of all the ones I've tried it's the one that all but dissapears under me.

My 2 recently acquired Brooks are comfy and all but in the one case it's SO comfy that I languish in having my butt cheeks coddled in such a manner and it interferes with the riding. The other is OK and is much like my beloved Vectors.

I've managed to get 3 of the Ritcheys and they are not going anywhere but from one bike to the next as I purchase them.

Why do these work? They are highly rounded and common sense says they should feel like sitting on a knife blade. But they don't. Instead they support where needed and don't get in the way of the inner thigh muscles on the downstroke like some others seem to do. The one in your first post looks like it would cut into the inner thigh on the downstroke. A longer side skirt would likely fix that issue if it's there like I think it would be. A longer side skirt like... oh... the one on the Ritchey Vectors for example.... To get around the pressure on the naughty bits I angle the nose down as needed until I feel the pressure on the sit bones. For me this ends up with the saddle having a 5 to 7 degree nose down attitude. Some folks say I'll slip off but in use this just doesn't happen. It's also needed because that's how I'm built. I have to do the same thing with the fancy cut away saddles.
BCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 04:24 AM   #17
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
There is no such thing.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 05:38 AM   #18
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
The perfect saddle is (your favorite here). There is no need to try any other.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 06:28 AM   #19
Allegheny Jet 

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
^ +1

My current flavor of the day is the Specialized Phenom and it only cost $75, even less with a LBS discount. I now have three bikes with the saddle, one is 3 yrs old, one 2 yrs old and one attached last fall.
Old 02-01-10, 07:29 AM   #20
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
^ +1

My current flavor of the day is the Specialized Phenom and it only cost $75, even less with a LBS discount. I now have three bikes with the saddle, one is 3 yrs old, one 2 yrs old and one attached last fall.
Almost went that route...
Old 02-01-10, 09:45 AM   #21
Robert Foster
Banned.

I agree the perfect saddle is the one you like. I also agree there is one no perfect saddle for everyone. As you have discovered some highly recommended saddles aren’t necessarily as comfortable for you as they are for some. When you ride with us you may notice a greater number of SMPs but you might also notice they are not all the same model. I like the one with a little padding and some like a bit more or a bit less. Little Ben tried the SMP race with no padding and ended up buying one with more padding than I have. Some people have the saddle you are showing as well. It is a hard task you are trying. I wish you luck.
Old 02-01-10, 10:05 AM   #22
curdog

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse
I just got a Toupe over Ebay also. Hope to give it a try some time this week.
curdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 12:50 PM   #23
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
Quote:
That's encouraging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
There is no such thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curdog View Post
I just got a Toupe over Ebay also. Hope to give it a try some time this week.
Sorry but if you have butt ache- then there is not a great deal that can be done. You will be doomed to forever buying saddles till you have no room for any more.

Then one day the butt fairy will send you a gift and it will work---For a while.

So keep looking and keep buying- It helps the economy.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 01:20 PM   #24
NOS88

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Sorry but if you have butt ache- then there is not a great deal that can be done. You will be doomed to forever buying saddles till you have no room for any more.

Then one day the butt fairy will send you a gift and it will work---For a while.

So keep looking and keep buying- It helps the economy.
OK, so when I think of what the butt fairy must do to earn a living, my rough days at work don't seem all that bad. Thanks for the image.
Old 02-01-10, 01:57 PM   #25
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro
I scored a used Selle San Marco 7 at a flea market yesterday for $1. It's a little cushier than the WTB saddle I have now, so I'm going to try it out.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote