User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What time to buy a new bike?

I'm planning on getting a new bike for 2010, but in these parts good riding weather doesn't start until late April at best, so I'm not in a hurry to rush out and buy one. Besides, our LBSes don't start stocking new models until early March.

The thing is, I want to be sure to get exactly what I want and am not sure how the mfrs stock enough bikes to supply everyone without a lot of leftovers. For example, in the Cannondale Synapse line there are 9 different models (varying in frame material, control groups, etc.). Each of those models comes in 6 different sizes and most are available in 2 color schemes. That's 108 variations in that one model line!

So how do they build the right quantities (or do they build to demand during the season)? Should I put my money down ASAP to make sure that I get the one I'm looking for? It's hard to take a test ride in 6" of snow and ice, but I've been looking forward to my first (and probably last) serious road bike for a long time now.

My Bikes
    S5 VWD
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would look for a 2009 Cervelo R3 or RS dealers discount them since they are '"left over" and they are the same as the 2010.

You can find them at your LBS or mail order.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougG View Post
    I'm planning on getting a new bike for 2010, but in these parts good riding weather doesn't start until late April at best, so I'm not in a hurry to rush out and buy one. Besides, our LBSes don't start stocking new models until early March.

The thing is, I want to be sure to get exactly what I want and am not sure how the mfrs stock enough bikes to supply everyone without a lot of leftovers. For example, in the Cannondale Synapse line there are 9 different models (varying in frame material, control groups, etc.). Each of those models comes in 6 different sizes and most are available in 2 color schemes. That's 108 variations in that one model line!

So how do they build the right quantities (or do they build to demand during the season)? Should I put my money down ASAP to make sure that I get the one I'm looking for? It's hard to take a test ride in 6" of snow and ice, but I've been looking forward to my first (and probably last) serious road bike for a long time now.
    Manufacturers have dates the Bike shops must book their orders by and based on those numbers, they build a speculative number that handle the late season orders.

Often they will offer the lbs' significant discounts on end of season inventory they are sitting on. My LBS took a couple of Hardtail S-Works MTB's last year and parted them out.

End of or off season presents the best deals but you may not get exactly what you want. They also just took delivery of some 2010 test bikes and sold them in the first week on the floor at a discounted price. Everyone looks for cash flow at this time of year. At least in the cold weather climates.

You may be able to go in now, negotiate a price, leave a deposit and await your spring arrival.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always time for n+1 !
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What time to buy a new bike?
    I normally prefer buying a new bike in the morning. That way, I have the rest of the day to take it on the Maiden Voyage.

But on the other hand, I just ordered a new 2010 touring bike that will not be picked up until August 27 for a California tour. Still going to pick it up in the morning though, (that Maiden Voyage thing again).

On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    But on the other hand, I just ordered a new 2010 touring bike that will not be picked up until August 27 for a California tour. Still going to pick it up in the morning though, (that Maiden Voyage thing again).
    So what you gonna get?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My approach has been to build a good relationship with one or two LBS. Once that's been established, they often go out of their way to make sure you get the bike you want. I got a great deal on a Specialized S-Works Roubaix even though the LBS had to make some calls to other dealers to find the right size for me. The key for a good relationship between the LBS and me has been: 1. I keep my word. If I say I'm going to buy something I do. 2. I buy things from them they know I could get elsewhere cheaper. 3. I treat them with respect (e.g. don't take up their time when the shop is full of other customers, etc.) 4. I don't argue with a price they've quoted me. If it's more than I can or want to spend, I tell them this up front. 5. When I get good service I send friends to them and tell them to say I sent them. This has resulted in a relationship where one LBS is willing to let me test ride bikes overnight and call or e-mail me when they get a bike in which they know I have an interest.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that now would be a great time to buy a bike in the colder climates. You could probably get a decent deal on a 2009 or earlier leftover. Buying at the beginning of the riding season would probably mean higher prices.
    I'm sure that bike companies build just like other businesses - based on historical data with a little room for growth.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
    I would think that now would be a great time to buy a bike in the colder climates. You could probably get a decent deal on a 2009 or earlier leftover.
    Yes, in past years, I have seen great deals at this time of the year on older models. But you can't count on finding them in your size and you should never given in and take the irresistible deal in the wrong size.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience has always been that if you test ride a bike, and get comfortable with the size you need, the bike shop can then look at the manufacturer's inventory and find out if they can get the exact color you want. Obviously they'll have more ability to do that earlier in the season than later, but the last couple of times I've test ridden new bikes the dealers were able to look up the manufacturer's available colors/sizes/models while I stood at the counter and waited.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Yes, in past years, I have seen great deals at this time of the year on older models. But you can't count on finding them in your size and you should never given in and take the irresistible deal in the wrong size.
    Oh yeah.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good responses all -- thanks much. In this case, my definition of "best" was simply for having the right selection, as opposed to the best price. At 63, this will probably not be my last bike, but it certainly will be my last performance bike, so a few $$$ either way is not a big deal to me. I don't buy new wheels nearly as often as I used to (have owned a lot of cars and motorcycles in past lives), so I want to make the most of this purchasing experience.

I also agree about the LBS relationship. When I was into motorcycles, a good shop was a place where you could drop in just to stand around and talk about bikes with the owners and other customers, a coffee pot was always on, and you often ended up finding some small item to buy before leaving.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be plenty of anything in the catalog available early in the season as everyone is stocking up their showrooms for the spring and summer. Even if your dealer doesn't have exactly what you want, he should be able to get it from the supplier or from another shop. You mostly hear about shortages well into the summer months. Occasionally there might be a specific model that becomes a super hot seller and production can't keep up with the initial demand, but they usually catch up before too long.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although the shop may not have much stock- Get them to look on the web for last years models. The LBS staff will know the changes to frames and specs and the bikes worth going for. Thats How I got my TCR-C for a knock down price. Knew that was what I wanted but the 08 models were going to be lower spec and more expensive althoughall the new frame would have was a different colour. I bought in December 07.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    So what you gonna get?
    http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/road/sojourn/

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking tourer, CB! (But how far can you travel in Hawaii?).

After learning to ride on a Huffy (I think), I can still remember coming out one Christmas morning, and there was a black Raleigh "English bike" with advanced features like hand brakes and a 3-speed hub. It also had lights powered by a generator that rubbed against the side of the rear tire (the faster you rode, the brighter the light). I got it probably about 1953 or so and rode it until I was about 15 (1961), when it was stolen from a shopping center. Since I was looking forward to getting my driver's license I didn't miss it much at the time, and didn't ride a bike again until I was in my 30s.

My Bikes
    Giro 26, Giant FCR1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When your wallet is full!
    Giant FCR1 2008

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If touring and maybe some dirt/gravel road adventure is on your menu, check out Salsa's new Vaya.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking tourer, CB! (But how far can you travel in Hawaii?).
    Pick-up location is a LBS near my middle son's place in San Jose, CA and it will be stored at my youngest son's place in San Diego (with a short stop at my oldest son's place in LA). At some future date it will likely head for my Mom's house in Colorado.

Having a mainland bike has got to be cheaper than airfares for cycles.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    If touring and maybe some dirt/gravel road adventure is on your menu, check out Salsa's new Vaya.
    Would have considered it if they had put a triple chain ring and 36 spoke wheels on it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    Would have considered it if they had put a triple chain ring and 36 spoke wheels on it.
    I'm not sold on the compact double either, but if I wanted the bike for loaded touring I could sell the double crank and FD and put a triple on it. Same for the wheels. But a better route might be to buy the frameset and build it just like you want it.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, the best bikes speak up and tell you when it is time to buy.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably when you see the bike you want. gcottaysummed it up well. My problem is I have not found a bad time to buy a bike. Between my wife and I there are 8, 5 are mine. And, I just purchased a new frame yesterday. I keep promising to sell 1 or 2, but they just don't seem to leave. I am really going to get rid of my 73 Puegeot PX10 this time, I really am...............