Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT - Home Office; Dual Screens

OK - after 10 years, I decided to reorganize and clean my basement home office. I took out 6 full garbage cans of stuff, and figured out how to attach two screens to my old computer - had to add another graphics card. I also bumped it up to 2GB memory from 1.25 GB. The large screen is also a HDTV.

Anyone else using two screens (or more) with your computer?

In the picture below, the laptop computer on the right is used solely for listening to internet gospel radio, and it is the computer I take when we travel by car. You can see Bike Forums in the big screen, and AOL in the small screen. There is an external DVD writer drive, and a 200GB backup external hard drive, and a web cam, which I never use.

There are 3 printers - an old laser, an inkjet/copier combo color and a high definition injket just for photos. I organized all of my various types of papers, files and file folders, etc. I even have a typewriter, which I use for addressing a single envelope - I hate figuring out how to do that on a computer printer each time - I always waste envelopes as I put them in upside down, or in the wrong location, or backwards, etc. For "mass" mailing (such as 100 mail-merge legislator letters), I do use the computer printer, however.

On the other side, past the louvered screen, is where my singing group - the XY Zingers - practices. The door on the left leads to my personal walk-in closet. The wife uses all of the space in the one upstairs, so I built my own!! The basement is 2,000 sq ft (same as the house above), of which 1,100 is finished. It is my exclusive "man cave." The wife almost never enters the sanctuary.

So, what about your home office? I know mine is pretty utilitarian, but it is meeting my needs pretty well. Any fancy or different offices out there? Post a picture or 3!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-03-10 at 07:29 PM.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very impressed with your organization. My office looks like it was hit by a bomb. Every two or three months, I break out the flamethrower and clean up the mess!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geofitz13 View Post
    I'm very impressed with your organization. My office looks like it was hit by a bomb. Every two or three months, I break out the flamethrower and clean up the mess!
    I purposely did not show a "before" picture. It would have scared folks!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is that device on the folding wooden table?

The room looks great. Mine has become my graphic arts studio for my daughter..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    What is that device on the folding wooden table?
    It was unearthed in an Egyptian archaeological expedition.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An orderly office is a sign of a disturbed mind.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used two computer screens at my office for many years. I recently got a new, large monitor for my study at home, but am considering going to two of them there.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    So, what about your home office?
    Since you mentioned it.....and coincidentally......

Today the carpenters will pretty much finish up Part 86, Stage 27 of the Money Pit Remodel, which just happens to be my study. Pictures will be forthcoming in the not too distant future......
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My "office", though I don't do much "work" here.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work a lot with spreadsheets, so I like the widest monitor I can get. Right now its a 24" Samsung. But LG now has a 27" and I think H.P. does to with a lot more features

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep have used 2 19" widescreens at home for a number of years now. Not for a home office, just a desktop pc - however I have just done a computer science degree so I am a bit "nerdy" and like technology and gadgets! Planning to upgrade at some point to 2x 24" but I'd rather have bike stuff for now!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dnvr...I see your computer table is a folding table. Excellent choice, and that is what I use at my office. I used a tubing cutter and took about 3" off of the legs to put the keyboard at a more comfortable height.

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    OK - after 10 years, I decided to reorganize and clean my basement home office. I took out 6 full garbage cans of stuff, and figured out how to attach two screens to my old computer - had to add another graphics card. I also bumped it up to 2GB memory from 1.25 GB.

Anyone else using two screens (or more) with your computer?

In the picture below, the laptop computer on the right is used solely for listening to internet gospel radio, and it is the computer I take when we travel by car. You can see Bike Forums in the big screen, and AOL in the small screen. There is an external DVD writer drive, and a 200GB backup external hard drive, and a web cam, which I never use.

There are 3 printers - an old laser, an inkjet/copier combo color and a high definition injket just for photos. I organized all of my various types of papers, files and file folders, etc. I even have a typewriter, which I use for addressing a single envelope - I hate figuring out how to do that on a computer printer each time - I always waste envelopes as I put them in upside down, or in the wrong location, or backwards, etc. For "mass" mailing (such as 100 mail-merge legislator letters), I do use the computer printer, however.

On the other side, past the louvered screen, is where my singing group - the XY Zingers - practices. The door on the left leads to my personal walk-in closet. The wife uses all of the space in the one upstairs, so I built my own!! The basement is 2,000 sq ft (same as the house above), of which 1,100 is finished. It is my exclusive "man cave." The wife almost never enters the sanctuary.

So, what about your home office? I know mine is pretty utilitarian, but it is meeting my needs pretty well. Any fancy or different offices out there? Post a picture or 3!

Yup... been doing it for a few years at work... works much better for the design work I do. Just started doing it at home since last March. Love it. Also my big screen TV in the same room acts like a third monitor if I send a signal to it... Fine for sharing web videos and pics and netflix with others. (one vid card drives one monitor, one vid card drives two)

I keep the office stuff and the computer in a closet next to my desk... and use wireless mouse and keyboard... so the desktop is rather uncluttered and the office support stuff is hidden away. The printer is networked and in my wife's office where it also serves as her copier.

I have the "man cave" with the computer and big screen TV and dual recliner couch.

BTW for faxes and envelopes and stuff with a particular print requirement... I have created a template that I use... and never fiddle with. Works quite nicely.

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey as an aside... what seems to work best is using video cards from the same maker...

Just an FYI.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently running 4 21" 16:9 displays (2 on top of 2). 3 of them have cable tuners on 1 input and computer on the other since for much of the day I'm monitoring about a dozen news channels from around the world. Most of the time I only use 1 for computer display, but occasionally use 2, particularly if I'm reviewing a survey model so I can see the live survey on 1 and code/debug on the other. Maybe once a week I'll have computer on 3 or 4. My office btw is a complete and total disaster (according to wife) with piles of papers and books on shelves and most of the floor space. Always been like this, always will be.
    Last edited by CrankyOne; 02-03-10 at 03:52 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOne View Post
    Currently running 4 21" 16:9 displays (2 on top of 2). 3 of them have cable tuners on 1 input and computer on the other since for much of the day I'm monitoring about a dozen news channels from around the world. Most of the time I only use 1 for computer display, but occasionally use 2, particularly if I'm reviewing a survey model so I can see the live survey on 1 and code/debug on the other. Maybe once a week I'll have computer on 3 or 4. My office btw is a complete and total disaster (according to wife) with piles of papers and books on shelves and most of the floor space. Always been like this, always will be.
    My large screen is also a TV, but not connected to a cable. So, I only get what you get in a basement with a cheap antenna - about 4-5 channels.

pedo viejo
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Salsa Pistola
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Single screen for me. I love my laptop and our house wireless. If I'm writing and need quiet and access to references, I work upstairs in the study. If I'm working on easy coding/mindless tasks, I work either in the kitchen (easy access to food) or on the couch.

The great thing is, it means I can leave a mess in three different areas of the house!
    The trite subjects of human efforts---possessions, outward success, luxury---have always seemed to me contemptible. - Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    1988 Peugeot PY-10P Frankenbike, 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1977 Peugeot PRN10E, 2003 Performance M-201 MTB dirt rider.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lesar View Post
    My "office", though I don't do much "work" here.

Nice setup. What driving games do you play?

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living in 450 square feet, (about 25' x 18'), I've learned to make things do double-duty. (BTW, this apartment is about 90 sf bigger than my last one. It seems like acres bigger.)

I'm single, and I don't really need a kitchen table, so the desk is in the table space in the kitchen.

My riff on the dual-monitors theme is a pair of Acer G24s, yielding a 3840x1200 desktop.

I shot the wallpaper photo. Right smack in the middle of downtown Rochester, is this small hydroelectric dam, which also keeps the Genesee River navigable to the Erie Canal, and in the background, the spiffy new Frederick Douglass/Susan B. Anthony bridge (the Freddie-Sue) carrying I-490 over the river.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.