User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been thinking about trying campy

HI ,
    saw this bike on ebay seems real resonable, any negative outcomes by members.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rossetti-2010-SL...item3a56c0535e!Bf0Mc4QBmk~$(KGrHqQH-CIEsJ)wlqBrBLCv,yGeBQ~~_35.JPG
    Last edited by djnzlab1; 02-03-10 at 04:52 PM.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're considering buying a new, carbon fiber bike from an ebay supplier. Where do you go if you have any frame warranty issues? For that kind of money, I'd be looking locally for brand I can hold accountable. Just my $.02.
    BTW, After riding nothing but Shimano, I now have a couple of Campy bikes. I don't think they're any better or any worse than Shimano, about the same. IMHO it's all personal preference.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
    I don't think they're any better or any worse than Shimano, about the same. IMHO it's all personal preference.
    +1
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Campy Super Record 11 sp and Shimano DA 7800 10 sp. It's taken me a while but I've finally gotten the Campy tuned in and shifting well. Just my experience but both shift very reliably. The Shimano is a smoother, quieter and easier (pushing the levers) shift than Campy. Campy is noisier but just as functional. The shifting from the small ring to the large ring is just a little slower on Campy than Shimano. The chain on the Shimano seems to move from the small to the large chainring with minimal movement of the crank but you really need to turn the crank a good bit to get a good shift with the Campy. The Campy rear shifts about the same as the DA but maybe a little noisier.

I will say that the Campy Ergo shifters are head and shoulders better than Shimano from a comfort perspective. They are wonderful.

I like them both but if I were building up a new bike I'd give the lean to Shimano.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like Ergo brifters. Everything else is commodity stuff to me.

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just sold off my last Campy group and made the leap to Sram Force. No regrets. Lp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ROSSETTI - For all of you wondering about Rossetti, I will be able to shed some light soon. I have been looking at a new bike for the last 6 months. i will start by telling you I am a beginner when it comes to road biking. I have ridden MTB for a bit but not too serious. Anyway, I have been riding a Bianchi that I bought from a friend. It's at least 10 years plus. Down tube shifters, etc. I looked around at several bikes and rode several of them as well. I found some that I liked but they were over my cap of $2000. I ended up wanting to go with a carbon frame as i have been riding aluminum and got the itch after riding a couple.

I asked around and couldn't really find much information on the Rossetti bikes. I had a friend tell me his friend said they were pretty nice but no real factual info. I did see a couple of people that bought them and got a response from them saying that they did indeed like the bike and it performed well. One of them had a small problem with a part but said the manufacture next day shipped a replacement no questions.

So, I just took the plunge. I bought one last week from the manufacture after asking several of the basic questions. I am 5'10 and ordered the 56cm which has the top tupe length of a 55cm. I just received the bike today. I should say the frame and parts. It looks as though everything is there. Everything looks like it did on the website. So far so good. I am planning to start assembly tomorrow night after work. I have a friend that is going to help me since I have never assembled a bike before that was from the frame up. I will let everyone know how it goes. I'll try to take some pictures as I go since there isn't much on the internet about the bike besides the website. I took some pictures of the initial parts after opening the box to make sure everything is here. Everything looks pretty good but I noticed one spot on the frame where it must have rubbed during shipping. I am going to let the manufacture know and see what they say. not a huge deal but if it's going to get scratched, I'd like to be the one to do it.

More to come...IMG_3661.jpgIMG_3665.jpgIMG_3663.jpgIMG_3662.jpgIMG_3671.jpgIMG_3667.jpgIMG_3666.jpgIMG_3664.jpg
    Last edited by ryansligar; 02-03-10 at 10:02 PM.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found that once you make the leap when buying a bike or a computer it is best to stop looking and simply move forward with your purchase. It looks like you get to put the bike together yourself and that can be a great experience as well. I don’t know much about that brand either but as long as they have a warrantee you should be fine. Let us know how it rides. Anything with bifters beats downtube shifters and campy makes a nice product. They are a bit expensive when it comes time to replace or upgrade but to some it is worth it.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If your buying on the internet, I assume that you do your own wrenching. Your going to need some new Campy specific tools.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I may have put this in the wrong forum. I got my Rossetti with SRAM RED. sorry for any confusion on the Campy.

That's a joke, ah say, that's a joke, son
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think a lot of choices like this can come down to what you are used to. When I made the change to brifters the bike I bought was a Bianchi with Campy Veloce 8 spd. I was inclined to this purchase because I had a Bianchi frame I liked and my down tube shifter and transmission was Campy. Even though the Veloce was the bottom of the line after initial tweaking it was rock solid for 5,000 miles or more before my first rebuild. I liked that I could hold the thumb tab down or the lever in and move several cogs in a jump in hilly terrain. I liked the clean look of concealed brake cables up front.

The down side is that relatively few bike shops fully support Campy and early on innovative wheelsets were Shimano only.

I stayed with Campy on my current bike because the shifting is so instinctual to me now. I also find the new the new hood shape to be very comfortable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When tighening any carbon bits be sure to have the proper tools and torque ratings from the manufacturer.
    Good luck - waiting to hear your assembly experience.

Regarding Campy - I think the above posters comments are valid. Try them all (SRAM too) yourself, as it is a matter of fit and preference. I've been Campy for many years - the one distinction used to be that Campy would handle multiple RD cog jumps with a single motion. Shimano required several swings of the right hand. I'm not sure if that is still true. Shimano electric sounds very interesting tho. Campy's 11 sp is not of interest to me yet, 9 & 10 serve me well. But I often fide a friction 6 cog that also pleases. If riding I'm happy.
    Last edited by Wildwood; 02-04-10 at 12:47 PM.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't be negative about the bike as I have never heard of it- let alone seen one.

Weight- price and components seem about right but one or two things I do not like the sound of.

That integrated seat post--Before you finalise your saddle height- make certain it is right.

Wheels- They may be light but never heard of the rims and spokes and inhouse hubs.

Brake calipers- Although I use no-name calipers I am worried about brakes that I have never heard of.

And still a few niggles on components- Too many inhouse parts That I have never found to be quality.

The bike looks right- it is light- providing it does come at that weight- and does have a few "Bling" parts fitted.

Without knowing the reputation of Rossetti- I would want a good look and ride of the bike before getting one myself.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

That's a joke, ah say, that's a joke, son
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am not a bike dealer so don't misunderstand what I'm saying here. I just have to get you to ask yourself: Do I know enough about bike fit to order an $1800 bike based on geometry specs? That's a lot of money to spend on something that needs to fit right.

Also looking at the eBay component list I would be concerned (as a previous poster mentioned) about the house brand cranks and brakes. Critical components.

I looked on Bike Radar and Bikepedia for Rossetti and got no hits. At all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinz View Post
    I just sold off my last Campy group and made the leap to Sram Force. No regrets. Lp
    Spinz: which spleen of the Neuman family are you in?? I know that most families have differing legs, but we are special. Besides, you are very ugly.

Sorry but I couldn't help but be a wise-a** because of our avatars.
    Last edited by head_wind; 02-06-10 at 11:02 AM. Reason: error

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's starting to look like a bike. It is very light. Frame feels like a balloon. I took some pictures of the build. Everything went pretty good. I bought a $10 bottom bracket wrench, some grease, locktight blue and anti-seize. The bottom bracket when in nicely. Everything went together nicely. One big snafu though is they didn't send me the front derailleur. Kind of disappointing but i guess those things can happen. I don't expect there will be any problem getting it quickly. It's small and light. I am waiting for an answer on what they are going to do on the frame scratches. They have filed a claim with the shipping company so we'll see. Should hear something back tomorrow. I'm not real interested in sending the frame to the shipping company to inspect as that may take a while. Plus, I have already put it together.... Couldn't wait. Anyway, enjoy the pictures.IMG_3676.jpgIMG_3688.jpgIMG_3691.jpgIMG_3675.jpgIMG_3680.jpgIMG_3681.jpgIMG_3690.jpgIMG_3679.jpgIMG_3677.jpgIMG_3678.jpgIMG_3684.jpgIMG_3682.jpg

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just out of curiosity, what's the deal on that seatpost? I didn't see any clamp, so it looks like it's one of those that you have to cut off to exactly the right height and then it's permanently at that height. Is that correct? Not much room for error in that case!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are exactly right. Scarry... I would have rather had a standard seat post but that's the way this model is. I have someone that is going to do a professional fit on the bike and myself. He is aware and knows it's tricky but just need to error on the high side first...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been looking for a Campy 10sp cassette lately and only seeing 11sp. The price for that stuff is ridiculous. A Record cassette is $350. A chorus is about $175. The chains are equally expensive. I bought an Ultegra cassette for $49 for my Shimano wheels. Do they make this stuff out of gold?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Campy, Shimano, SRAM I think this is a personal choice as all work well. There is a difference in comfort and operation, but again they all do the job well and you won't be disappointed with any of them. Price is a real consideration between these mfgs.

If you don't have your position dialed in yet, I would suggest a frame with without an integrated post. There is some adjustment, but not a lot. For many this takes some time to get it just right and the freedom to move the seat may make all the difference in a perfect fit or something close.
    SHIFT3 Bicycles - Work/Life/BIKE
    www.shift3bikes.com

My Bikes
    Kuota Kredo, Litespeed Vortex, Aegis Victory, Burley Tandem, Cannondale Rush
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a lot of bike for the price. I built up two bikes, one Campy Record10, the other Shimano Dura-Ace. Both have good and bad points. I put the campy equipped frame on the trainer because it is heartier and seems to take a beating better. This is my third winter on it, and it shifts flawlessly everytime I take it off and hit the road.

I have SRAM on my mountain bike and love it too. It is truly a matter of preference and I could ride any one of the three without any problems.
    Rubber Side Down Racing Team
    My Other Home:http://DonGaleHomes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI,
    Many thanks to all the posters upon review of all the comments, and the person who bought the SR model, I didn't notice the bike would be totally dissasembled most bikes I ve bought online only need the wheels and handle bars and seat bar and pedals. This is way out of my ability to mech a bike, critical parts are all Campo sized tools and the seat post not being adjustable what the faux. I have nearly worn the head bolt out on my CAAD 4 changing angles and Height on my seat adjustments , this is not the bike for me. Thanks Guys Good save, heck the build could easily be over 120.oo with the snags and fittin more and what if the handle bar is the wrong height my LBS will trade out parts when they are new..
    DUH! Doug

They seem to quote over priced values similar to another online dealer, this snags a few now and then.
    I am sure now for me My Local LBS has Huge End of Year SALEs where the Bike Company will lower prices below for the LBS and they pass it on. SO maybe this OCT -Nov I will make the plunge. People don't buy many bikes in the late fall ..

They had a sweet last years model for under 2,000 at the LBS new all SR Red, nearly choked when I saw it it was a little to small....56cm SHoooooooooot,,,,

10_FELT_B2_USA(1).jpg
    Last edited by djnzlab1; 02-07-10 at 09:25 AM.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by djnzlab1 View Post
    the seat post not being adjustable what the faux.
    Huh?? Someone enlighten me on this...how can you have a bike without seat adjustment?
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Metric Man - Frames with an integrated seat post still allow some adjustment, however it is very small compared to a regular seat post frame. Integrated posts are great if you have a very fine tuned position and you plan to keep it forever.

djnzlab1 - If you're not sure about your fit going the LBS route is the best way to go. Make sure you find a shop with a good fitter and that is ready to sell you the right bike, not just what they have in stock. If you know what you need size wise, going the online route and having your LBS do the assembly might still save you some money.
    SHIFT3 Bicycles - Work/Life/BIKE
    www.shift3bikes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I moved the rest of the rossetti info to a new thread called rossetti build. Sorry for putting this in the wrong spot under Campy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast