Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Men of a Certain Age (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/619838-men-certain-age.html)

rumrunn6 02-04-10 01:48 PM

Men of a Certain Age

anybody else dislike this new TV show?

ahsposo 02-04-10 01:53 PM

Do they ride bikes?

DiabloScott 02-04-10 02:31 PM

I like it! Been DVRing every episode.

BluesDawg 02-04-10 02:32 PM

Have not seen it, but Modern Family and Better Off Ted both crack me up.

thompsonpost 02-04-10 02:52 PM

The ads and previews didn't grab me at all. I've never watched it.

gcottay 02-04-10 03:44 PM

Are bikes involved?

DiabloScott 02-04-10 03:57 PM

No, but they're over 50.

Rick@OCRR 02-04-10 04:08 PM

Only watched Torchwood this year so far.

Rick / OCRR

sojourn 02-04-10 04:16 PM

Actually they are 40 something guys.....pretty funny really.....they run and hike, no cycling. I've warmed up to the characters and some of the one-liners are great!

DiabloScott 02-04-10 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by sojourn (Post 10362094)
Actually they are 40 something guys.....pretty funny really.....they run and hike, no cycling. I've warmed up to the characters and some of the one-liners are great!

I think I saw an MTB in Romano's garage... but he's a golfer, probably his kid's.

The website does say 40's:

MEN OF A CERTAIN AGE explores the unique bonds of male friendship among three men experiencing the changes and challenges of mid-life. They have been best friends since college but now, in their 40s, are navigating through the second act of their lives.

Bakula was born in '54
Brougher was born in '62
Romano was born in '57

RonH 02-04-10 05:46 PM

I'm still waiting for a "good" TV show to come along. Haven't seen any since last fall. Thank goodness for Netflix.

The Weak Link 02-04-10 06:32 PM

I don't watch TV. I prefer to do useful productive things like post on BF and hit the political sites (but only the ones that Obama says are OK ;)).

badger1 02-04-10 07:03 PM

TV??? To be blunt, TV = "wasteland" far as I can tell. 'Twas always thus, but nevertheless (in relative terms) the 'dumbing down' process seems to be snowballing; CNN has become National Enquirer Live, and the rest of it reaches a 'standard' somewhat below that threshold. By the bye, things are no better/perhaps worse up here (Canada). Rant over!

genec 02-04-10 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 10361510)
anybody else dislike this new TV show?

thought it would "go somewhere," but seems dead on the vine.

Retro Grouch 02-04-10 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by thompsonpost (Post 10361793)
The ads and previews didn't grab me at all. I've never watched it.

Me too. I told my wife that, assuming the previews were probably the best stuff they had, I'd never be able to stay awake through an episode.

cranky old dude 02-05-10 05:06 AM

Um...haven't seen it.

We don't subscribe to any pay TV service and the new fangled digital signals dont come in too well in our part of town.

Is it on CBS? CBS comes in pretty good up in the 3rd floor bedroom, usually.

Sigh!

Burr 02-05-10 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by The Weak Link (Post 10362628)
I don't watch TV. I prefer to do useful productive things like post on BF and hit the political sites (but only the ones that Obama says are OK ;)).

Watch out for the Tea Party Dude!!!
We are on our way!!!

DougG 02-05-10 07:25 AM

We've really enjoyed it so far, but it's definitely going to be in danger of running out of plotlines, which is where many shows start going from good to stupid. Hope it doesn't happen here.

rumrunn6 02-05-10 09:07 AM

ironically my wife enjoys it.

I do not need to see other men's miserable aging lives. I don't find it entertaining

my wife also like "Rescue Me" but I don't cuz the main character is always getting laid and that's NOT entertaining to me considering I don't

bikegeek57 02-05-10 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by badger1 (Post 10362740)
CNN has become National Enquirer Live,

love it. will share that with my better half. haha!

Fat Tire 02-06-10 12:35 PM

Tried it, don't care for it. It has already begun to reuse plots as 1 guy restarted gambling. Who needs to see another's life screwups?

billydonn 02-07-10 02:57 AM

Tried it a couple of times and am ambivalent about it. As Fat Tire says, the life screwups theme can get too heavy. But considering the awful fare that's out there competing with it ... it ain't so bad. HGTV gets a lot of time in our house. That "Holmes on Homes" is interesting most of the time but is getting a just little repetitious.

cccorlew 02-07-10 10:09 AM

TV today makes the crap I used to watch seem good. And that's really sad. If it weren't for Big Love and Dexter I wouldn't need a TV. Broadcast is dead. The last great shows I've noticed Deadwood, Six Feet Under and the Wire -- all on cable.

trackhub 02-07-10 06:54 PM

I watch very little network television anymore. Unless it's got Jack Bauer, lots of shooting, stuff getting blown up, and Jack, shouting into his cell phone, 'I'll explain as soon as I get there!", it probably won't hold my interest.

That aside, I firmly believe that most TV programs are designed for a younger demographic. Reason: Simple. Teens, and early 20-somethings, are the ones who go to malls and spend money each week. The stores themselves, the food courts, and pretty much everything else, are designed for that demographic. Am I wrong here?

Oh yeah,, I like "Lost". :rolleyes:

Stupid question: What exactly is this "Abercrombie and Fitch"? I don't even know what that is.

JayhawKen 02-07-10 07:25 PM

Mad Men - AMC.
;)