Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Gruv 2

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Raleigh Gruv 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-11, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tabled the rebuild on my seatpost for the Gruv 2 for winter... if I had it done I'd be riding it in all this salt, sand and snow. I have a winter rider already completely fouled with the elements.. no sense I think fast forwarding the wear on two bikes wintertime.

My seatpost fashioned from two post units I had here showed some fatigue in the original post metal. I think a weld would fix it fine.. might do so sans the tubing or solid aluminum stock readily available locally. Getting one made wouldn't be prohibitive for cost.

Post this morn to ask for seat input. Got a link per an excellent seat recently... but it lacks the relief cutout down the center. I did experiment with an exercise bike seat... adding two pads on the main seat area that allowed center relief. That seemed to work decently.. the tape used to fashion that trial design didn't hold well.

Anyone ever use one of these or similar.. again.. with an upright riding style whereas most of your weight rests right on the vital machinery & tailbone?

https://www.bikeseats.org/extra-deep-relief-zone.htm Link to above seat......
Old 04-08-11, 08:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://i51.tinypic.com/2a0gxvt.jpg

Had my seat post made recently for the Gruv 2... left this go until spring as I didn't want to ride the bike in the winter slop.

My Schwinn road bike gives 8.5" of setback from the BB center to seat center.. this seat post on the Gruv gives 15". Keeps the setback mostly constant as the post is raised. Made this one for my height though.

Made from solid aluminum bar stock.. not really that heavy. Bike is anyway.. this will work.

Now for a seat that works...
Old 04-19-11, 12:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://i56.tinypic.com/e83ngm.jpg

Final outcome.. the seat in a few shorter trial rides seems to be the answer. Too cold now after it's recent arrival to ready check it out.

Might.. have to get a 2 ton 'plate' for this bike......... but a perfect ride for 'around the block'. That... is a 12 mi ride here.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Link to buyer I got the seat from via the 'bay. Best seller I found for this item.. by miles.

Last edited by SortaGrey; 04-19-11 at 12:20 PM. Reason: More info
Old 05-03-17, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one for sale

I have a Gruv 2 for sale if anyone is interested. It is in near perfect condition. It was purchased in 2008 new. I have only taken it out a few times and it has been in a dry garage in San Diego. PM me if you want pictures.