Thread: FUN on a Bike

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FUN on a Bike

With natural progressions, you sometimes fail to carry over important aspects of everyday activities.

Case in point, riding your bike.

Remember how much fun it was to finally be riding unsupported - the first few times you were actually riding solo.

Then, when you finally left your neighborhood, on two wheels. All of the fun of exploring, and being on your own. True freedom!

Then graduating to 4 wheels (powered) and having all of the fun we associate with being teenagers --- this is were bicycling seems to take a back seat. Bicycles seem to take a back seat (no pun intended) to hot girls, and hot cars. Freedom ends!

Then, having your children, and taking them for rides in "child seats, " and the fun it seemed to provide for everyone.

Then, later, riding with your kids, with them on their own two wheelers. The fun of exploring and experiencing returns.

Having fun with others, as you and your friends go on family rides, with all the kids - maybe a run to a lunch stop in the middle, maybe a picnic, maybe an introduction to the "country."

Later, just using the bike for exercise - without even considering fun.

Getting that bike back down from the rafters, cleaning and lubricating, and adjusting - maybe a couple new tires. Just so you could go for a ride with your childrens' children. Grandchildren are FUN!

Final stages - maybe retireing, and rediscovering bicycling as a form of exercise, and weight control ------- only to rediscover how much FUN it is to be out on a bike, just for the sheer enjoyment (maybe some errands, too) of absorbing life around you. Rides actually getting longer than you ever considered before, just because it was fun. Sometimes fast, sometimes slow. More often than not, just riding and enjoying the companionship of others, doing something you all enjoy.

You have been brought back full circle, to when riding was just plain FUN. The times when you just took off on your bike, away from your neighborhood, to explore and enjoy.

It really is FUN! Even if you aren't going a million miles an hour.

Life is GOOD!

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009

Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, absolutely, all of the above!

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said, Wanderer, and so true.

My Bikes
    Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^+100. That's why I enjoy mountain biking so much, it's a break from all the "practical" cycling I do. Everything boils down to the immediate rush of terrain, balance, and scenery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good post. With all of today's hi-tech gadgets; heart monitors, training schedules, ultra-light components, route mapping software and space age clothing, it's sometimes easy to forget that whole point of the thing is to have fun.

Sometimes we just need to sling a leg over the saddle and go ride a bike.
    "I heard the music and I wrote to it. Some people beat drums, some people strum guitars. It's all in the music you hear" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent reminder! I like getting better, but it is fun to just ride. I don't want to become obsessed about it.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice perspective!

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another note of thanks and agreement.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reminder !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't relate to any of it.

Taught myself to ride at age 5 1/2. Commuted to school starting in the 2nd grade. Didn't have a car when I left home, just a bicycle. Been car-free or car-lite ever since, no kids.

But I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

pedo viejo
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Salsa Pistola
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Can't relate to any of it.

Taught myself to ride at age 5 1/2. Commuted to school starting in the 2nd grade. Didn't have a car when I left home, just a bicycle. Been car-free or car-lite ever since, no kids.

But I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    +1, except I did spend about 15 years driving. I hated having to commute by car (at one point ~1 1/2 hours each way). My weight shot up by nearly 40 lbs. I finally returned to a sane lifestyle at age 35 and haven't looked back.

I remember learning to ride on 2 wheels, but I didn't have training wheels. I'd get on the bike with one hand on my Dad's Falcon station wagon and try to stay up on my own. After a number of failed attempts I finally discovered it's easier to stay up when the bike is moving.

Several scraped knees later, I was buzzing the neighborhood.

I'm happy for those who enjoy their kids, but glad to see some other child-free folks here as well. Life is indeed good!
    The trite subjects of human efforts---possessions, outward success, luxury---have always seemed to me contemptible. - Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah baby! Great post.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.