Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Brooks Swift Saddle

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Brooks Swift Saddle

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 02:27 PM

Bikes: Cenelli,Schwinn, Trek, Univega

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks Swift Saddle

I will be 67 this year, and decided to start riding my bike again after 5 years of not riding. I decided to buy a new saddle, even though I have about a dozen laying around of different types.
I heard so many good things about the Brooks saddle, that I decided to invest in a Swift. I always
mounted my saddles level with the top tube, and that would be comfortable for me, but with the
Brooks, I have to mount it at least 5 to 10 degrees tipped back, if I set it level, I slide forward toward the handle bars. I was wondering if other people have experienced this on a Brooks saddle.
Old 02-21-10, 02:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oops! I apologize, I posted a duplicate. I was using my laptop in a school, and was told it was a unauthorized website, and would't send it. The schools WIFI is strict, so I didn't realize the thread was summitted. I should have checked more closely.
Old 03-01-10, 12:32 PM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team road bike, Giant XTC mountain bike , Bike Friday Pocket Llama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2 Brooks saddles, a B17 and a B67, and I haven't experienced this. Both saddles are horizontal.
Old 03-01-10, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Yup, most Brooks users end up tilting the front slightly upwards.

Welcome to the 50+ forum.
Old 03-01-10, 01:59 PM
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
All my Brooks saddles, regardless of model, tilt up at the nose. .....otherwise, I would slide forward. This is especially evident when I take my hands off the handlebars to sit up straight to stretch my back while riding.
Old 03-03-10, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
All my Brooks saddles, regardless of model, tilt up at the nose. .....otherwise, I would slide forward. This is especially evident when I take my hands off the handlebars to sit up straight to stretch my back while riding.
Or when you talk on your phone on your fixed gear.
Old 03-06-10, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've got my B17 set level. I used to slide forward slightly when it was new and slippery, but now that it's worn in a bit I no longer slip.
Old 03-07-10, 09:45 AM

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
I bought a Brooks Swift on the basis that people rave about the comfort factor, but also because I liked the looks and tradition.

After my initial excitement at 'buying a new piece of kit', I rationalised and thought back to some advice I was once given by an elderly cyclist - namely, that even with the most comfortable saddle, your rear will hurt once your legs have become too tired to support your weight properly (yes, he did mean support your weight while seated).

I tried it on both my Tommasini and Pinarello and think it looks just plain wrong. Maybe on a sturdy tourer, a stylish fixie, or a 3-speed English bike, but otherwise I think Brooks are a very successfully marketed anachronism.
Old 03-07-10, 10:52 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I concur that the Brooks are frequently tilted up in front a bit for best function.

Last edited by billydonn; 03-08-10 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-08-10, 11:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been using the Brooks Swift for several weeks now, I have yet to make up my mind about it. I have it on my bike trainer, and have been riding 30 to 45 minutes, and my butt feels like I have ridden a century, I have been riding five days a week, trying to get my weight down from
205 at 6' tall to a respectable weight. I didn't realize that I was in such bad shape. I thought, I
could jump back on the bike after a number of years of not not riding, and spin pretty well, but,
my mind said go, my body said no. I still have time before spring gets here in MN, to get my weight down, and try to break that saddle in, if thats possible, but it sure looks nice.
Old 03-08-10, 02:33 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
laplander, I have no idea whether the Brooks will turn out to be a good saddle for you as it is for many people, but I do know that it is likely that your butt would be hurting no matter what saddle you were using after several years off the bike.
Old 03-10-10, 05:51 AM

Bikes: Fisher MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Brooks Flyer Special after trying half a dozen others. Comfortable right out of the box and I experience zero discomfort on the first rides of the year (post snow WI). I ride a steel Long Haul Trucker and that smooths the ride also.

I'm 61 now and have been re-riding for four years.
Old 03-10-10, 09:39 PM
Old Fogy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My B-17 has nearly 2,000 miles on it now, and my butt is finally breaking in to fit it.
Old 03-11-10, 12:10 AM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
"I have been riding five days a week, trying to get my weight down from 205 at 6' tall to a respectable weight."

Is all that riding working? I have to play the contrarian and suggest exercise won't help you lose weight, at least not in the long run. Generally, exercise has one reasonably immediate effect: it makes us hungry. (The best way to lose weight seems to be to cut down on sweets and starches, which works with or without exercise.)

Meanwhile, my Brooks B17 is tilted up slightly.