Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cruel Jaws Are Loosening- pics

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-10, 11:36 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Since the cruel jaws of winter set in just after Thanksgiving I’ve been totally confined to riding the spin bikes at my place of work, with absolutely zero real bicycle riding. I have done this relatively cheerfully and with due diligence- adhering to a pretty rigorous power building program and minding my HR and kcals burned. It was beginning to feel “natural”, even sometimes enjoyable.

With temps soaring to 30 and the sun peaking out, that eighty-something day hiatus ended Saturday. With local MUPs still clogged with spots of nasty ice in the shady areas, I loaded up the bike and drove out to a park on the far edge of town that has been the site of some great solo rides in the past. Smooth, nearly empty roads and rolling hills (including one half-mile slope that used to scare me) surround a big lake, and deer and other wildlife are common there. It was completely snow covered except for the roads. Ice fishing huts were still scattered on the lake...

It had been so long, I was actually a little excited and even apprehensive about getting on a bike! The sensation of a bike actually moving felt strange and it took awhile to adjust. I was soon reminded how cold your face can get on those downhill spurts. The ride was not as fast as I had imagined but I made 10 laps of my favorite 1.6 mile loop and climbed that scary slope each time around. About an hour into the ride two deer crossed, followed a few minutes later by about 20 or 25 more! That was nice. The ride was so gratifying that I went back and repeated it Sunday and took the camera this time.

Winter is not yet truly over, of course, but it is really, really good to be back riding!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
chalco 006.jpg (102.8 KB, 33 views)
chalco 008.jpg (98.9 KB, 29 views)
chalco 007.jpg (100.3 KB, 24 views)
chalco 014.jpg (96.1 KB, 20 views)
chalco 010.jpg (97.2 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by billydonn; 03-01-10 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-02-10, 06:46 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Don't know about you but I'm ready to head back to Glenwood Springs. We're getting more snow today!
Old 03-02-10, 08:11 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
Since the cruel jaws of winter set in just after Thanksgiving I’ve been totally confined to riding the spin bikes at my place of work, with absolutely zero real bicycle riding. I have done this relatively cheerfully and with due diligence- adhering to a pretty rigorous power building program and minding my HR and kcals burned. It was beginning to feel “natural”, even sometimes enjoyable.

With temps soaring to 30 and the sun peaking out, that eighty-something day hiatus ended Saturday. With local MUPs still clogged with spots of nasty ice in the shady areas, I loaded up the bike and drove out to a park on the far edge of town that has been the site of some great solo rides in the past. Smooth, nearly empty roads and rolling hills (including one half-mile slope that used to scare me) surround a big lake, and deer and other wildlife are common there. It was completely snow covered except for the roads. Ice fishing huts were still scattered on the lake...

It had been so long, I was actually a little excited and even apprehensive about getting on a bike! The sensation of a bike actually moving felt strange and it took awhile to adjust. I was soon reminded how cold your face can get on those downhill spurts. The ride was not as fast as I had imagined but I made 10 laps of my favorite 1.6 mile loop and climbed that scary slope each time around. About an hour into the ride two deer crossed, followed a few minutes later by about 20 or 25 more! That was nice. The ride was so gratifying that I went back and repeated it Sunday and took the camera this time.

Winter is not yet truly over, of course, but it is really, really good to be back riding!
My first ride of the year was actually in February, it was -8℃ (18℉). Generally my problem with winter riding isn't the snow and ice, it's the idiots who think that because they have 4WD that they can go like a bat outta h*ll, even in conditions where the police are closing highways due to conditions. The snow on the roads is gone, the backyard is almost bare and the temperature will be up to around 6℃ (43℉), that's low end riding weather, thinking about pushing my normal summer loop and seeing what has changed since the last time I did it on November 8th, almost 17 weeks ago....
Old 03-03-10, 03:22 PM
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
My first ride of the year was actually in February, it was -8℃ (18℉). Generally my problem with winter riding isn't the snow and ice, it's the idiots who think that because they have 4WD that they can go like a bat outta h*ll, even in conditions where the police are closing highways due to conditions. The snow on the roads is gone, the backyard is almost bare and the temperature will be up to around 6℃ (43℉), that's low end riding weather, thinking about pushing my normal summer loop and seeing what has changed since the last time I did it on November 8th, almost 17 weeks ago....
It is the four-wheel stop (not drive) that is always the real problem... don't you think? We have the same dumba... s yokels around here too! I do not mind cool weather but snow and ice underwheel is where I tend to draw the line. Honestly, after so much time off a real bike I think my HR was up quite a bit just taking the bike off my car and clipping in!
Old 03-03-10, 03:31 PM
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jppe
Don't know about you but I'm ready to head back to Glenwood Springs. We're getting more snow today!
Hi Joe,
It looks more and more like we are turning the corner on weather here. Sun is out and temps are getting into numbers starting with 3 and even 4. (The spouse is even talking about riding her bike this weekend!) I hope things turn more favorable for you in NC soon.

It would not surprise me if weather was better in GWS than in some other places less famed for winter climates. They have been having warm weather in western Nebraska I hear. I would sure go back to GWS (and Woody Creek) for another gathering if someone were to just organize it! Heck, I may try to take the wife out there to ride this summer...