User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out of bikes already?

I went into the LBS a few weeks ago looking for 2010s and was told that they (the shop) don't really get going on the season until early March, which is when the first 40F+ days start getting common around here. So I went in today to order my new bike and found out that they wouldn't have one available until the end of May!

OK, so I'm ordering a popular bike (Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5) in a common size (56), but then shouldn't they stock enough bikes in the country to suit the demand? It's hard for me to understand why they'd be short when half the country is just getting into riding mode after a long winter.

Oh well. I'm willing to wait (put a deposit on it), and have my old bike to start the season on, but overall it was a bit disappointing to have my timetable set back like that.

And I have two more months of dreaming:

My Bikes
    Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought of a similar bike but a different brand? Such as Trek or Gary Fisher..Etc.. If you were wanting one so soon, why didnt you place the order in late fall or early winter? PS..Thats a awesome looking ride..

Cheers, trek mogul in NW Ohio
    Trek Fuel EX9.0 Trek Fuel EX9.5 Trek Equinox 9.9SSL TTX Trek Madone 6.9 Pro Red Project One, Trek Boone 7, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Carbon District

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trekmogul View Post
    Have you thought of a similar bike but a different brand? Such as Trek or Gary Fisher..Etc.. If you were wanting one so soon, why didnt you place the order in late fall or early winter? PS..Thats a awesome looking ride..
    With my other bikes -- more basic, cheaper ones -- I just went it and bought them off the LBS floor. I had no idea it would take this long or I definitely would have ordered it sooner.

As for getting something else, once I make up my mind about what I want -- especially if it's an expensive item -- I am willing to wait to get it exactly (including color, etc.). For my last car, I wanted one with a color and options that aren't what the dealers around here typically stock, so I put in an exact order and waited the two or three months it took for the car to be built and shipped over from Germany. That was all part of the fun, as I was able to even find out the name of the ship it was on and track it across the Atlantic!

Like my car, I plan on having this bike around for quite a few years, so an extra couple of months is really not that big of a deal -- just a surprise.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no facts to back this up, but I have the feeling everyone is keeping their stock really lean. Better to delay (or even lose) a sale here and there than be stuck with a ton of unsold inventory.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougG View Post
    I went into the LBS a few weeks ago looking for 2010s and was told that they (the shop) don't really get going on the season until early March, which is when the first 40F+ days start getting common around here. So I went in today to order my new bike and found out that they wouldn't have one available until the end of May!

OK, so I'm ordering a popular bike (Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5) in a common size (56), but then shouldn't they stock enough bikes in the country to suit the demand? It's hard for me to understand why they'd be short when half the country is just getting into riding mode after a long winter.

Oh well. I'm willing to wait (put a deposit on it), and have my old bike to start the season on, but overall it was a bit disappointing to have my timetable set back like that.

And I have two more months of dreaming:

It's a balancing act, last year the economy went dead, and they probably had a lot of '09's left to get rid of at the end of the season. They probably figured relatively few sales early in the year, considering that the US economy is still in the doldrums. They got caught short, and since everything comes from Asia by ship, they need to ramp up production, and then it takes 6 weeks by ship to get into the country. Even a domestically made bike requires a lot of foreign made parts.

My Bikes
    trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    I have no facts to back this up, but I have the feeling everyone is keeping their stock really lean. Better to delay (or even lose) a sale here and there than be stuck with a ton of unsold inventory.
    Correct, my favorite LBS had their spring sale this weekend and they told me that they cut back on 09 inventory last year and they still had several 09 closeouts available.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a normal year- trying to get hold of last years models in your size is a problem. If you want those you have to have started in October.

But last year My LBS had problems getting hold of the popular current years bikes in any size. Factory production was cut back to cater for the expected downturn in bike sales and they can still only get limited supply of the TCR's now. I have an idea that this years production will have a similar supply problem so be patient and only harrass the shop once a fortnight instead of once every two weeks till your one leaves the factory and is on its way. Never know- Harrass them enough and it may come quicker- Or get put at the back of the list as you are being such a pain.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought but it could be that with Cannondale’s new sale and movement off shore there is a lag in production?

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our LBS only has a few 2010's in the brands he sell's on the floor, the big shipment is "coming in", (is that like, "it's in the mail"?), so maybe your LBS is fudging a bit and your new bike will show up sooner, hope so. Does seem like "April" is the new target month in the shop's in Southern, CO. Have FUN when you get the new bike, sweet looking machine.
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many businesses, especially small ones, are still suffering from a credit crunch.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice color scheme!

you waited this long ...
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got that right. The last year I operated my bike shop (2008), I got stuck with a lot of expensive window dressing that ended up moving out at a loss.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait and get what you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are 200% correct on that thought. Add in that the bike mfgs. changed their model year intro to July so dealers would be left with less new old stock to discount in the fall. Not surprised to hear that a dealer is out this early.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess I posted this too soon. My bike is in -- almost two months earlier than they told me!

Only problem now is that I haven't had much time to get ready for it. Luckily I did buy a bunch of the add-ons in advance (Garmin mount, bottle cages, etc.). Pickup day is Tuesday -- hoping for good weather to get in that first ride.

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess I posted this too soon. My bike is in -- almost two months earlier than they told me!

Only problem now is that I haven't had much time to get ready for it. Luckily I did buy a bunch of the add-ons in advance (Garmin mount, bottle cages, etc.). Pickup day is Tuesday -- hoping for good weather to get in that first ride.
    It's the old 4-10 weeks dodge, the distributor tells you it will be up to 10 weeks, you tell the customer 10 weeks, even though you know that you get them in 4-6 weeks. If you tell the customer 4-6 weeks, you usually end up with a customer ready to come after you with a club if it's longer then 8 weeks. Of course if you tell the customer 10 weeks, which is the maximum, and it takes 10 weeks, no biggie, if it takes the usual 4-6 weeks, then you have a really happy customer who gets their stuff early.

My Bikes
    Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great and Congrats.. Bet your thrilled to lay your hands on a new and gorgeous looking bike. Jerry in NW Ohio
    Trek Fuel EX9.0 Trek Fuel EX9.5 Trek Equinox 9.9SSL TTX Trek Madone 6.9 Pro Red Project One, Trek Boone 7, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Carbon District

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all expect a ride report.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.