Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post

Preschool is a phenomena of dual income households, where both husband and wife have to work to make ends meet.

I am 53 and my mother raised all of us, then went off to work just for some spending money. I dare say that there are probably a lot more working mothers out there today.
    Agreed - Pre-school is just another form of daycare, except it makes the parents feel better because they think the kids are getting some education. Unfortunately it is not a substitute for good parenting and it hasn't helped the educational abyss we find ourselves in.

In my day we didn't have any preschool - and I walked to school on broken glass with snow up to my waist and it was up hill both ways!
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Agreed - Pre-school is just another form of daycare, except it makes the parents feel better because they think the kids are getting some education. Unfortunately it is not a substitute for good parenting and it hasn't helped the educational abyss we find ourselves in.!
    Both of my kids attended preschool. I thought it did them some good. Our impression was that by the time they were 4-ish they were ready for a few hours of day of playing with other kids they didn't know. Maybe they learned a few things; maybe they didn't. But it seemed to make the transition to kindergarten easier.

For us, it was not "just another form of daycare." Enrolling them in preschool was a carefully thought through decision for us, and we worked to put them into preschools we thought would be good for them. However, it also was nice to give my (stay-at-home) wife a few hours break per day to get other stuff done that was important to us as a family.

I don't think anyone has ever argued that it's a substitute for good parenting - nor is any kind of school.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I attended a 2 room rural school, grade 1 to 8 only, no kindergarten. Started grade one in September 1959, couple months before my 6th birthday.
    Great memories there, some of them probably actually happened. Dunking braids in ink wells was cool.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Both of my kids attended preschool. I thought it did them some good. Our impression was that by the time they were 4-ish they were ready for a few hours of day of playing with other kids they didn't know. Maybe they learned a few things; maybe they didn't. But it seemed to make the transition to kindergarten easier.

For us, it was not "just another form of daycare." Enrolling them in preschool was a carefully thought through decision for us, and we worked to put them into preschools we thought would be good for them. However, it also was nice to give my (stay-at-home) wife a few hours break per day to get other stuff done that was important to us as a family.

I don't think anyone has ever argued that it's a substitute for good parenting - nor is any kind of school.
    Although I was a stay at home mom and didn't send my children to preschool I agree with you, it is a good way for them to learn to socialize with other children and a nice transition to kindergarten. I know all we old geezers survived just fine without it, but if we have an opportunity to help our kids along, and we believe we are making the proper choice, why not do it?

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No preschool around here in the Fifties......and kindergarten was private and optional. Learned some social skills in K, mostly. Forgot them all since then.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK think about this... how many of us "oldsters" had mom at home when we were growing up?

Preschool is a phenomena of dual income households, where both husband and wife have to work to make ends meet.

I am 53 and my mother raised all of us, then went off to work just for some spending money. I dare say that there are probably a lot more working mothers out there today.
    I think your correct, when I was growing up, there were only two dual income households on the block long street, mine was one of them, my folks operated a home based business, somewhat of a rarity as well, in 1966 when I started school. The other dual income household, had another lady at the other end of the street look after their kids. I think the first pre-school started in the 1970's, now it's simply a way to get cheap child care for the ubiquitous dual income home, that is common now, instead of the parents spending $50/day for daycare, the tax payer spends $100/day for pre-school, this is considered progress.

I think dual income homes are because costs of goods and services have steadily exceeded wages for the last 40 years. For example in 1965 you could buy a small house for $20,000 that same house today sells for $400,000, it should be $135,000 to keep pace with inflation, and in some places it is, however if you made $20,000/yr in 1965 you probably make $75,000 today, so effectively you need the two salaries. Unfortunately the manufacturing jobs that used to mean good incomes have all been exported to Taiwan, Korea, China and Mexico.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son, now 45, attended pre-school - but not because my wife was working. She was a stay-at-home mom, as was my mom. He went because he was and is very social, and absolutely loved it. Just a few hours per week.

I did not attend pre-school, but did attend kindergarten.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful of generalizations. I'm almost 53, am one of the few here that attended both preschool AND kindergarten, and my Mom didn't work outside the house from before I was born until my youngest brother (family of 5) was in high school.
    2006 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Preschool? I am 59.8 and went to a 2 room school until in 5th grade! Totally unheard of in our neck of the woods.

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually went to kindergarten in Germany.

It may have been on a base, but it was in Germany...

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mother worked. She was a nurse at what was then the world's largest mental institution. I started staying at "nursery school" when I was 3 years old in '58. Then it was on to kindergarten and then public school. Quite a few dual income families in our town back then, so there were quite a few of us in the pre-schools by another name. I am sure daycare was a big part of the reason for having it, but they did teach us things. I remember when there was a large influx of Cuban doctors fleeing Castro's Cuba and moving here to work at the asylum. We were taking Spanish lessons twice a week in kindergarten, taught by the same lady who did the Spanish program on public TV.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

On the Tundra of Northern NY State, almost Canada eh?
    My Bikes
    TBD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not only didn't I go to pre-school, there was no kindergarten when I was a lad back in mid '50s Western PA.

Until I reached the 1st grade, my mom stayed at home & taught me my ABCs & how to color "in the lines".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pre-school? I never went to kindergarten, either.
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pre-school for me was Captain Kangaroo.

I hated Bunny Rabbit and though Mr. Moose was ghey. There's nothing wrong with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 63, and I started preschool at 4. The first year was called nursery school and the second was called kindergarten. It was private, with the local public school starting with first grade. Our teacher for both years was a wonderful Swiss lady named Barbara Eggers, and I suspect that early childhood education was still very much a Swiss and German idea that was still gaining ground in the US. This was in Woodbury, CT. I've often thought that New England was more influenced by Europe than the rest of the US. Demographically, the children were all from the town's more educated, affluent families.

I still have many vivid memories of it -- much more intense than the ones I have of first grade. I even have dreams about it. We played games, learned to get along in a group, listened to stories, made paper boats and so on. We learned about social institutions through organized play. One time we all got crowns and robes and spent the day as kings and queens. Another day, the boys and girls were paired off and each couple went through a marriage ceremony -- not a bad deal, as I had a crush on the girl I was paired with. There was a beautiful Advent calender, printed in German, and I'll never forget the excitement with which we opened a new panel each day in December as the snow swirled outside.

My daughter had a very different experience 51 years later. Kindergarten for her was what first grade was for my generation, the start of formal education. Everyone was expected to be proficient in reading, writing and arithmatic by the end of the year, and the brighter kids were pushed very hard. It was a surprisingly intense academic experience, more demanding than her first grade turned out to be. My daughter found it fun and exciting, so some things, thankfully, have not changed.

Paul
    Last edited by PaulH; 03-17-10 at 06:16 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post

I hated Bunny Rabbit and though Mr. Moose was ghey. There's nothing wrong with that.
    Such clever mind control. You were SUPPOSED to hate Bunny Rabbit, he was evil incarnate.

Tom Terrific, however was ... well terrific. He was an early animation influence on me.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post

Mr. Green Jeans always gave me the creeps.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK think about this... how many of us "oldsters" had mom at home when we were growing up?

Same here, actually. My mom started working when we were in middle school.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 55, grew up in the Chicago suburbs, and went to kindergarten. After Day One me and the neighbor girl walked to school together. Sometimes we were late.

My mom used to read to me. That was my pre-school.

My Bikes
    1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Age 60, small kid time was on Long Island, vague memory of having attended nursery school but only briefly. Mom didn't drive then, so we caught a ride w/ a neighbor. Kindergarten was part of the local public school.

In elementary school there was some kind of outdoor event one summer day, we had been told that Capt Kangaroo was going to come -- and he did! Just as nice a guy in person as he was on the tube.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pobble.808 View Post
    Age 60, small kid time was on Long Island, vague memory of having attended nursery school but only briefly. Mom didn't drive then, so we caught a ride w/ a neighbor. Kindergarten was part of the local public school.

In elementary school there was some kind of outdoor event one summer day, we had been told that Capt Kangaroo was going to come -- and he did! Just as nice a guy in person as he was on the tube.
    A lovely man in desperate need of some hair styling advice.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
    Pre-school? I never went to kindergarten, either.
    That explains a lot
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
    There's a reason I'm posting this thread as a double (someone else started it on Foo). I'm wondering if pre-school is kind of a recent phenomenon. I'm not quite 50. I didn't go, and it was rare to even hear about anyone my age who had gone, in my recollection. Was this a generational thing? Or maybe a geographic thing (I grew up in the suburbs of Buffalo)?

I was just kinda wondering.
    No, that sounds like Chicago in the '50s, too. My preschool was playing outside in a 3 city block neighborhood (no usable back yards in apartment neighborhoods), riding my bike all over it, and for coursework we had Romper Room, Lunchtime Little Theater, Bozo, and Captain Kangaroo. Nap time was enforced by the endless soaps every afternoon -BOOORRING! The occasional field trip to a friend's house - same distance learning syllabus but a change of setting ...

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donheff View Post
    I'm 61. In Chicago, school began with kindergarten at age 5. No pre-school, no Head Start. After the first day, I walked to kindergarten with my older brother who was 6.
    I think there were private "nursery schools," but nothing public AFAIK. I'm 56, and we could start school in September or January, depending on age. I think KG was required.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
    A lovely man in desperate need of some hair styling advice.
    I still want a Captain Kangaroo jacket, with those pockets. I'm now probably older than he was when he was on TV.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast