User Tag List

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Madera Stage Race - Race Report

This was my fourth race this year and the second year in a row for this stage race and I was looking forward to it. Stage races are a blast. It features a 40 minute criterium around a one mile square flat course with good road surface and wide turns, a 10 mile time trial and a 51 mile road race. I did the crit Saturday morning and the time trial in the afternoon. Sunday is a 51 mile road race that features 3 laps with a set of steepish rolling hills at the finish and 2.5 miles of very rough road per lap right before the rollers that we refer to as the Paris Roubaix section. It was very windy and cool on Saturday and windy and perfect temperature on Sunday for the road race. Here are the results:

Madera Stage Race, March 13-14, 2010
    Cat: M Cat 5
    Overall GC: 18th
    Time 3:27:34 +4:35
    Field: 46

Stage 1, Criterium
    Sat. 8:50 AM
    Time: 39:39 +0
    Place 10th

I rode with the pack, surfed wheels and tried different lines. Since we had a strong wind from the west, it put the home stretch in a cross wind. My goal was to finish with the pack and conserve energy. In turns 2 and 3, I used an outside line to end up shielded by the peloton from the wind and on turn 4, I used an inside line. The two primes were fast but no problem. On the finishing lap, I was near the middle of the pack but took the inside line. I got an alley and sprinted past a number of riders for 10th. I got the same time as the pack toward the GC classification. Last year, I got blown off the back in lap 3 and time trialed by myself.

On turn 4 on an early lap, there was a crash right in front of me. This section of the road was into the wind and the front of the peloton bunched up. When the crash happened, I braked slightly, looked left and went around with no problem. I believe all the riders were back in the race that crashed – nothing serious.

Stage 2, Sharon 10 mile ITT
    Sat. 1:55 PM start time
    Time: 28:25 +4:58
    Place: 20

I felt the crit in my legs and the wind was approximately 18 mph with gusts to 25 mph. It felt hard to pedal my TT bike against the wind in the easiest gear warming up, so I knew this was going to be a tough TT. My plan was to ride 80% on sections 1 and 2 and put in the hard effort when I was into the wind on sections 3 and 4. Normally, I race with a disc / trispoke combination but my coach said not to use the trispoke so I substituted my Williams System 30 front wheel and kept the disc. Handling of the bike in the wind was not a problem and sections 1 and 2 were very fast. The ride into the wind was brutal and I was glad when it was over.

An elite racer from Team Taleo posted a 23:23 time and took the lead in the GC. And he did it on his road bike. Team Taleo had 5 racers in Cat 5

Stage 3, Daulton 50 RR
    Sun. 11:35 AM
    Time: 2:24:05 +42 seconds
    Place: 21
    51 miles (3 laps)

I got up on Sunday and my legs felt great and warm-up was easy. When we lined up, I was talking with the Taleo racers and they planned to control the race and chase down any breaks. The wind was less than Saturday but would be a factor. As with the crit, I hid in the peloton and conserved energy. When we got to the Paris Roubaix section of rough road, I moved to the front behind Taleo. According to my coach, breaks usually occur near the end of the rough road on the slight downhill section. There was a break and the front accelerated. I was in position behind the GC race leader. We killed it chasing the break and screamed up the rollers. We caught the break at the neutral feed zone. Lap 2 was a repeat of lap one. Once again there was a break and this time, one guy got away. Once we were through the feed zone, the pace picked up and we went after the solo break. The pace through the rough road was fast. I was near the front for the uphill finish in the rollers but did not have enough left in the tank. I finished 42 seconds back. The leaders caught the single break and he finished 10th. Last year I got blown off the back in Lap 2.

It was a great race and a lot of fun. The cat 5 men were perfect gentlemen, great racers and a lot of fun to ride with.

Here is my power profile from the crit. I did 22 accelerations over 400 watts > 1/2 hp and 17 accelerations over 740 watts or 1 hp. I think the average speed was 23:XX . As you can see from the power profile, it is all about being able to corner fast and do accelerations. Average speed is somewhat meaningless in this crit. In the road race, the rollers typically required >500 watts for XX seconds to ride in the lead group.

Here is a pic from the finish of the crit. I am behind the second rider in the front on the left.

This is my favorite of all my racing pics. I am Webcor in green. This may be the first lap through the rollers.

Last edited by Hermes; 03-18-10 at 02:44 PM.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great start to the season Hermes. Plus a very nice improvement over last year. Looks like you new training program and coach are working out just fine.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you got a lot faster than you were last year. I guess the coaching is paying off. Probably some help from the power meter as well.
    Now that you have been riding on the Williams wheels for a while, how do you like them. That's a pretty good race review you gave. It was like blow for blow, way to go.
    George

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go man Go!

As the cow bells are ringing cheering him on
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    Great start to the season Hermes. Plus a very nice improvement over last year. Looks like you new training program and coach are working out just fine.
    I am very happy with my season start. This race was an early season HTFU race and to log two points toward my upgrade. After my next stage race in two weeks, I will upgrade to Cat4. However, the Cat 5 men were great guys and very strong. Our guy who posted the 23:XX TT time would have been in bottom 1/3 of the P/1/2s. I like my new coach very much.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    It sounds like you got a lot faster than you were last year. I guess the coaching is paying off. Probably some help from the power meter as well.
    Now that you have been riding on the Williams wheels for a while, how do you like them. That's a pretty good race review you gave. It was like blow for blow, way to go.
    Thanks George...The wheels worked great and survived the 7.5 miles of Paris Roubaix terrain which is like sitting on a jack hammer. I inspected the wheels and they are perfectly true. I think they are very similar to the Mavic equivalents.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Go man Go!

As the cow bells are ringing cheering him on
    If there were cow bells ringing, they were on cows.

My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hermes,
    Great race report and photos. I don't have any desire to compete and race anymore but I still enjoy the success and efforts of others such as yourself. Keep posting the race progress.
    SloSpoke Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great report Hermes! Congrats on your early season form. Our velodrome season starts April 6th here in San Diego and I'll be there ready to roll! Our track is getting the pole lane rebuilt, it's was getting really bumpy especially during the motorpaced workouts @30mph.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post

If there were cow bells ringing, they were on cows.
    Come on - dang, you didn't hear me ringing them, I'll ring'm harder next time. It isn't that far to the left coast...
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can anyone elaborate on the Roubaix section?

is it less roubaix this year?

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danahs View Post
    can anyone elaborate on the Roubaix section?

is it less roubaix this year?
    No, I do not think so. The road race course is the same each year. The rough road section is after the right hand turn into a cross wind. The road is broken black top from farm equipment and is extremely rough. Normally attacks come right before the end of the rough road which is about 2 miles long. The key to this section is a strong set of wheels and have everything secured to the bike. I was 4th wheel coming out of the rough road and maintained position on the rollers. This is a fun road race.

I am not doing it this year since I will be racing at LA Velodrome in the LAVRA Cup.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go, Hermes. Awesome performance.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."