Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: It's gone !!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's gone !!!!!

It's all gone!!!!!!! The snow and ice are gone!!!!

On my commute home last evening I took a cruise down the Interstate 390 Bike Path (an MUP) to see if all the snow and ice had melted yet. It usually takes a while as much of the path is sheltered from direct sunlight and it gets well trampled down all winter from dog walkers etc.

Well, as I rounded the first bend and entered the first part of the trail with filtered sunlight I was greeted by this beautiful sight...

The snow has left the building, err MUP! I couldn't resist taking a picture of the gorgeous green grass further along the path. The leaves will blow away as soon as they dry out sufficiently.....

I was so thrilled to see the snow gone from this, one of my favorite trails, that I took another ride on it today. I cruised through Braddocks Bay Park and discovered that the Bay is ice free and the snow, including the drifts, is gone from the park. Here's 'Little Blue Bike' basking in the brilliant sunshine at Braddocks Bay Park.

From here it was time to head for home. I had pre-arranged with my bride to meet for lunch on my way back and called her to alert her of my approach to the Restaurant. Shortly thereafter as I rode along a new MUP by the Lake Ontario State Parkway I was reminded of the other reason for fenders....

Yep, Spring came early in 2010 and I'm taking full advantage of it.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    Yep, Spring came early in 2010 and I'm taking full advantage of it.
    You haven't seen the 10-day and 15-day forecasts yet, have you?

Winter ain't done with us yet.

That said, I have many miles planned for the next three days.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like my MUP as well, spring is indeed upon us, but don't count them Chick'ns yet - this is upstate NY...
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, I want to say that that is a wicked nice recumbent. Yep fenders. You bet I got em. Goose poop... Nasty.

I am very open to the idea that some day, I may be wanting a 'bent.

It has been unseasonably warm here in the Northeast the past few days. Could it be? Could if finally be that we are going to have a warm spring? The kind I remember as a youth, growing up in the 60s?

What we have around my neck of the woods at this moment is WATER! Yep, we got lots and lots of water. Anyone need some water? We got plenty.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the time of year that you check the forecast at 6:01 and it shows that it's supposed to be cold and snowy next week, check again at 7:01 and it's changed, supposed to be cool and rainy, with lows around freezing, at least on this side of the lake. You may be right, that winter is starting it's vacation early this year, although we may still get a good dose of winter weather, we always seem to. After the last couple of years where winter seemed to hang on June, followed by early spring and then late fall without anything in between, we need the break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the weather report. As stated earlier, snow is not finished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You all just can't wait to rain, err snow, on my parade.

Any way, any snow we get in late March and early April is nothing more than a faint belch at the end of a big meal.....short lived and hardly worth mentioning. I fully intend to pedal right through it. I haven't removed the studded snows from 'The Beast' yet, or from our vehicles for that matter.
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 03-18-10 at 07:38 PM. Reason: speling

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    things are definitely looking up whatever the weather report. nice pix cranky.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    You all just can't wait to rain, err snow, on my parade.

Any way, any snow we get in late March and early April is nothing more than a faint belch at the end of a big meal.....short lived and hardly worth mentioning. I fully intend to pedal right through it. I haven't removed the studded snows from 'The Beast' yet, or from our vehicles for that matter.
    The chance of an additional snow storm is directly proportional to the number of individuals who have already removed the snow tires and washed the salt off the car. After this week it's probably better then 50% and closing in on 100%.

Older I get, Better I was velonomad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a bunch of them, most made by me, a couple made by others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya gotta watch those path's this time of year, 55+ degrees at day but still can drop below freezing at night. I saw a guy crash hard on a patch of ice on the MUP across the road from my house last week. He was skinned up pretty good but refused to accept aid from anyone.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live in the now. The weather is nice, enjoy it. Knowing the weather will change later won't stop you from riding now.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SIGH! Yesterday I rode 33 miles in my bike shorts and no jacket, today it is snowing BIG flakes outside my window, Spring in So. Colorado is strange at best!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winter lasted a long time over here with bo respite- Then last Subday we had spring- Monday to thursday and it was almost like summer--But today it feels like autumn. Winter will be back for the weekend.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
    The chance of an additional snow storm is directly proportional to the number of individuals who have already removed the snow tires and washed the salt off the car. After this week it's probably better then 50% and closing in on 100%.
    Unfortunately Lenny this is true - although you may have not removed those snow tires yet my snow blower went toes up on the last big dump so the probability of a 3' wet heavy dump just went through the roof. I should have bought a new one right away just to make sure it didn't snow again until next year - sorry, what was I thinking (as I give myself a big dope slap).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Unfortunately Lenny this is true - although you may have not removed those snow tires yet my snow blower went toes up on the last big dump so the probability of a 3' wet heavy dump just went through the roof. I should have bought a new one right away just to make sure it didn't snow again until next year - sorry, what was I thinking (as I give myself a big dope slap).
    Fear not. Cranky has proclaimed that Spring is here.

Listen not to those nay sayers who predict nothing but doom & gloom. Listen instead to your heart. Go forth and ride the tires right off of those pedaling machines that you're so fond of. Live, laugh, pedal and be happy.

(And keep a shovel nearby, just in case)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am hoping to get out tomorrow morning before it rains. So the gods have been angry. December 7th I was hit in a 4 way stop less than a block from my home. Three fractured ribs, a bruised hip with a laceration cost me cycling until the end of January when I managed to pick up pneumonia, sinusitis and an inner ear infection. I got 3 days on the bike in late February and picked up salmonella last week while away on business. That wrote off the beautiful weather in the northeast. It can only get better, right??

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice handle bar setup. I have been considering a mirror. How usefull is yours?
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
    Nice handle bar setup. I have been considering a mirror. How usefull is yours?
    Thank you.

Once you've ridden with a mirror, you will never again want to ride without one.

I seriously am unable to look behind me when I'm on a recumbent so for me, no mirror means no ride.
    Since I've started riding the recumbents and been exposed to riding with a mirror I've installed one on each of my uprights also.

Get a mirror, it's a small investment and you won't regret it.
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 03-19-10 at 05:46 PM. Reason: speling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
    First, I want to say that that is a wicked nice recumbent. Yep fenders. You bet I got em. Goose poop... Nasty.

I am very open to the idea that some day, I may be wanting a 'bent.

It has been unseasonably warm here in the Northeast the past few days. Could it be? Could if finally be that we are going to have a warm spring? The kind I remember as a youth, growing up in the 60s?

What we have around my neck of the woods at this moment is WATER! Yep, we got lots and lots of water. Anyone need some water? We got plenty.
    Thanks for the compliment. I was very lucky to have found this bike used on Craigslist from a well respected member of 'Bentrider online' and for a very reasonable price, too.

Water....well here's your solution to that high water....http://www.bicycleman.com/recumbent-...bie-kayaks.htm

Whatever you're riding, keep pedaling!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the mirror.
    I have one that fits right into the bar ends of my drops on the two road bikes, I don't have one on the MTB and am always looking down for it, I guess I'll need to get one for it this year.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fortunately, even a 3' dump probably will not last long. Here in Toronto, the tulips have already started to come up, spring officially arrives tomorrow at 1:33 PM, and we are 6 minutes passed the 12 hrs of sunlight mark, Would have been a good riding week except for the freaking wind, it's been over 30km/h all week with that much wind this early in the season, I prefer not to get blown into traffic. Mid or late season, yeah, this early, naw....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the mirror.
    I have one that fits right into the bar ends of my drops on the two road bikes, I don't have one on the MTB and am always looking down for it, I guess I'll need to get one for it this year.
    Got the most anticipated thing today .....

It's even bigger then the Lauterbrunnentel Leaflet....

The M.E.C. Summer Catalogue..... Now I just got to go to the store and get a couple of new things. That catalogue will get a proud position on the shelf until I get next years.....

I have a mirror on my bike that I hate, need to get a different one, and a new light for the wife's bike, since I stole hers when mine quit working

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the snow is gone here now except in the shaded areas, but Lake Winnebago is still completely ice-covered. Snow flurries predicted for tomorrow, though.