Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a newbie to this sport, this summer will be my third cycling, I thought I'd take the magazine for awhile. But, I changed my mind when after responding to one of their polls I was summarily dismissed with the comment: "You don't fit our desired demographic, good bye".
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude65 View Post
    Being a newbie to this sport, this summer will be my third cycling, I thought I'd take the magazine for awhile. But, I changed my mind when after responding to one of their polls I was summarily dismissed with the comment: "You don't fit our desired demographic, good bye".
    That's pretty heavy duty stuff, and a really poor PR move on their part!

Remind me not to renew my subscription!
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    I am a relatively recent subscriber and I enjoy the publication, but can see it getting old as the formula repeats and I get more experience and knowledgable at cycling.
    For many of us, I don't think that's the problem. It's rather that they miss the mark entirely with our experience. I was an enthusiastic Bicycling magazine reader, and even made an ad for them in a film class. But that was in the mid '70s. I think their appeal was a bit broader then and they were the unofficial magazine of the sport.

Now they have narrowed their focus but still seem to sound like they are the official magazine of the sport. My experience has drifted from their mold. I still have a bike from those days, and my fleet is an eclectic collection of recumbents, 10 speeds and modified mountain bikes. American Bicyclist and Bicycle Times speak more closely to my interests.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, 10 speeds from the 70's.. You have piqued my interest. Got pics of any of them?

Latitude65, that is pretty nasty. I would have been tempted to respond to the poll again, but make it all up. Tell them I'm a 25 years old female MBA, who "trains 100 miles a week, and logs all miles and times". Fun to see what mailing lists you might wind up on. Might as well have some fun with it.

As I mentioned earlier, I get the mag, but only as a member of the LAB. I peruse most issues. Then, it is used to line the bottom of my hefty trash bags.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
    Ahh, 10 speeds from the 70's.. You have piqued my interest. Got pics of any of them?

Latitude65, that is pretty nasty. I would have been tempted to respond to the poll again, but make it all up. Tell them I'm a 25 years old female MBA, who "trains 100 miles a week, and logs all miles and times". Fun to see what mailing lists you might wind up on. Might as well have some fun with it.

As I mentioned earlier, I get the mag, but only as a member of the LAB. I peruse most issues. Then, it is used to line the bottom of my hefty trash bags.
    It is all a matter of time management. So many places are not customer friendly, or even customer intelligent, and so little time to show them the error of their ways.

They make money off advertising on their web site and in their magazine. Just like this site does but without the magazine. I just don't buy the magazine and don't go to the site and encourage others to do the same. In the end the only thing that matters in business are those things that affect the rice bowl, eh?
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gritsisgood View Post
    OK - I know from reading the forums for awhile that Bicycling magazine is not exactly "revered" in a lot of spaces but....
    Amazon knows that I'm pretty "thrifty" and they send me a note every now and then when something gets "cheap" for awhile - got a note this morning that says Bicycling magazine is available (yr subscription/ 11 issues) for $5. Heck - that's only $0.45 an issue. Thought the pictures might be worth that much.... even if the riders on the cover are NEVER sitting down.... one of the great mysteries of life.
    Take it for what it's worth.

Ciao!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref...SIN=B00005NINB
    Hummm...... what's that thing stuck to his butt?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

Neil_B
    Thanks for the tip. I subscribed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=gritsisgood;10548101]...Take it for what it's worth.
    QUOTE]

...which is only about $5 less than they're asking.

SP
    Bend, OR

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude65 View Post
    It is all a matter of time management. So many places are not customer friendly, or even customer intelligent, and so little time to show them the error of their ways.

They make money off advertising on their web site and in their magazine. Just like this site does but without the magazine. I just don't buy the magazine and don't go to the site and encourage others to do the same. In the end the only thing that matters in business are those things that affect the rice bowl, eh?
    "Customer intelligent"!! Excellent! Mind if I use that?

I joined the Bicycling Magazine on-line forum years ago, when it first went live. At that time, it was a fun forum, with intelligent people contributing. But, it decayed over time. The maturity level went way down, and the place turned nasty. No moderation or enforcement of terms of service to speak of. It has been at least seven years since I last visited that forum. A shame, really.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    1985 Trek 520, 1991 Diamond Centurion, ???? Scott Cheyenne, 2005 Trek 4300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthib View Post
    Hummm...... what's that thing stuck to his butt?
    Ok - ok - you win! What I should have said was "even if the riders on the cover ALMOST never sit down" or something to that effect.....

Hm.... wonder how I got the idea they didn't ...... :-)

images10..jpeg images5..jpeg images7..jpeg images2..jpeg images9..jpeg images8..jpeg images6..jpeg images..jpeg

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus and a Mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DougG hit the nail squarely on the head. Back in the 80's when I was riding a lot with my young sons, and the Coors Classic was running I enjoyed Bicycling. But now as Doug says Bicycling has become mainly a glitzy picture book for the young. Basically written for anyone with an extreemly short attention span.

And of course my big beef with the magazine is the fact there is almost never anything about recumbents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Around the time St. Lance announced he would be returning to the Tour de France, I was spending way too long at the Doctor's office while my wife was being repaired. One day, just for fun, I counted the number of times the words "Lance", "Armstrong", and "Lance Armstrong" appeared in an issue of Bicycling.

I gave up when I reached 80 and I was less than 2/3 of the way through.
    "I heard the music and I wrote to it. Some people beat drums, some people strum guitars. It's all in the music you hear" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12