Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-21-10, 04:56 PM   #26
HawkOwl

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Being a newbie to this sport, this summer will be my third cycling, I thought I'd take the magazine for awhile. But, I changed my mind when after responding to one of their polls I was summarily dismissed with the comment: "You don't fit our desired demographic, good bye".
HawkOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-10, 05:11 PM   #27
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude65 View Post
Being a newbie to this sport, this summer will be my third cycling, I thought I'd take the magazine for awhile. But, I changed my mind when after responding to one of their polls I was summarily dismissed with the comment: "You don't fit our desired demographic, good bye".
That's pretty heavy duty stuff, and a really poor PR move on their part!

Remind me not to renew my subscription!
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-10, 05:39 PM   #28
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
I am a relatively recent subscriber and I enjoy the publication, but can see it getting old as the formula repeats and I get more experience and knowledgable at cycling.
For many of us, I don't think that's the problem. It's rather that they miss the mark entirely with our experience. I was an enthusiastic Bicycling magazine reader, and even made an ad for them in a film class. But that was in the mid '70s. I think their appeal was a bit broader then and they were the unofficial magazine of the sport.

Now they have narrowed their focus but still seem to sound like they are the official magazine of the sport. My experience has drifted from their mold. I still have a bike from those days, and my fleet is an eclectic collection of recumbents, 10 speeds and modified mountain bikes. American Bicyclist and Bicycle Times speak more closely to my interests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 06:07 PM   #29
trackhub

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog
Ahh, 10 speeds from the 70's.. You have piqued my interest. Got pics of any of them?

Latitude65, that is pretty nasty. I would have been tempted to respond to the poll again, but make it all up. Tell them I'm a 25 years old female MBA, who "trains 100 miles a week, and logs all miles and times". Fun to see what mailing lists you might wind up on. Might as well have some fun with it.

As I mentioned earlier, I get the mag, but only as a member of the LAB. I peruse most issues. Then, it is used to line the bottom of my hefty trash bags.
trackhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 07:57 PM   #30
HawkOwl

Bikes:
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
Ahh, 10 speeds from the 70's.. You have piqued my interest. Got pics of any of them?

Latitude65, that is pretty nasty. I would have been tempted to respond to the poll again, but make it all up. Tell them I'm a 25 years old female MBA, who "trains 100 miles a week, and logs all miles and times". Fun to see what mailing lists you might wind up on. Might as well have some fun with it.

As I mentioned earlier, I get the mag, but only as a member of the LAB. I peruse most issues. Then, it is used to line the bottom of my hefty trash bags.
It is all a matter of time management. So many places are not customer friendly, or even customer intelligent, and so little time to show them the error of their ways.

They make money off advertising on their web site and in their magazine. Just like this site does but without the magazine. I just don't buy the magazine and don't go to the site and encourage others to do the same. In the end the only thing that matters in business are those things that affect the rice bowl, eh?
HawkOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 08:18 PM   #31
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritsisgood View Post
OK - I know from reading the forums for awhile that Bicycling magazine is not exactly "revered" in a lot of spaces but....
Amazon knows that I'm pretty "thrifty" and they send me a note every now and then when something gets "cheap" for awhile - got a note this morning that says Bicycling magazine is available (yr subscription/ 11 issues) for $5. Heck - that's only $0.45 an issue. Thought the pictures might be worth that much.... even if the riders on the cover are NEVER sitting down.... one of the great mysteries of life.
Take it for what it's worth.

Ciao!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref...SIN=B00005NINB
Hummm...... what's that thing stuck to his butt?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bikemag.jpg (10.2 KB, 12 views)
bobthib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 10:02 PM   #32
Neil_B

Bikes:
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Thanks for the tip. I subscribed.
Old 03-29-10, 03:59 PM   #33
bobbycorno

Bikes:
[QUOTE=gritsisgood;10548101]...Take it for what it's worth.
QUOTE]

...which is only about $5 less than they're asking.

SP
Bend, OR
bobbycorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 05:20 PM   #34
trackhub

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude65 View Post
It is all a matter of time management. So many places are not customer friendly, or even customer intelligent, and so little time to show them the error of their ways.

They make money off advertising on their web site and in their magazine. Just like this site does but without the magazine. I just don't buy the magazine and don't go to the site and encourage others to do the same. In the end the only thing that matters in business are those things that affect the rice bowl, eh?
"Customer intelligent"!! Excellent! Mind if I use that?

I joined the Bicycling Magazine on-line forum years ago, when it first went live. At that time, it was a fun forum, with intelligent people contributing. But, it decayed over time. The maturity level went way down, and the place turned nasty. No moderation or enforcement of terms of service to speak of. It has been at least seven years since I last visited that forum. A shame, really.
trackhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 03:13 PM   #35
gritsisgood

Bikes: 1985 Trek 520, 1991 Diamond Centurion, ???? Scott Cheyenne, 2005 Trek 4300
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthib View Post
Hummm...... what's that thing stuck to his butt?
Ok - ok - you win! What I should have said was "even if the riders on the cover ALMOST never sit down" or something to that effect.....

Hm.... wonder how I got the idea they didn't ...... :-)

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images10..jpeg (3.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpeg images5..jpeg (4.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpeg images7..jpeg (5.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpeg images2..jpeg (5.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpeg images9..jpeg (3.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpeg images8..jpeg (4.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpeg images6..jpeg (5.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpeg images..jpeg (8.0 KB, 19 views)
gritsisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 08:49 AM   #36
layedback1

Bikes: RANS Stratus and a Mountain bike
DougG hit the nail squarely on the head. Back in the 80's when I was riding a lot with my young sons, and the Coors Classic was running I enjoyed Bicycling. But now as Doug says Bicycling has become mainly a glitzy picture book for the young. Basically written for anyone with an extreemly short attention span.

And of course my big beef with the magazine is the fact there is almost never anything about recumbents.
layedback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 09:25 AM   #37
Connell
Wheezy Rider

Bikes:
Around the time St. Lance announced he would be returning to the Tour de France, I was spending way too long at the Doctor's office while my wife was being repaired. One day, just for fun, I counted the number of times the words "Lance", "Armstrong", and "Lance Armstrong" appeared in an issue of Bicycling.

I gave up when I reached 80 and I was less than 2/3 of the way through.
Connell is offline   Reply With Quote