Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elements of Fitness - 50+ (or any other age, for that matter)

There has been a recent discussion of fitness and a bit about what fitness means.

From what I have learned - traditional fitness includes the following:

• Cardio-vascular/Aerobic Fitness (endurance)
    • Muscular Strength
    • Body Composition (fat/lean)
    • Flexibility
    And I would add some non-traditional ones

• Bone/ligament/tendon fitness - can be improved through appropriate activities.
    • Mental health fitness
    • Financial fitness
    • Social fitness
    • Spiritual fitness
    The traditional one most often ignored in the bicycling world in my opinion is muscular strength - partucularly upper body - something that decreases year-after year after about 35 years old or so, if left unattended, but almost completely avoidable with appropriate activities. Muscular fitness also interacts with bone fitness in that exercises often used to strengthen can also help with osteoporosis prevention. Some believe that osteoporosis may be associated with bicycling. Controversial, but there are several studies pointing in that direction.

And your thoughts on "fitness?"
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-19-10 at 11:03 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    There has been a recent discussion of fitness and a bit about what fitness means.

Some believe that osteoporosis may be associated with bicycling. Controversial, but there are several studies pointing in that direction.
    I would generalize this further by blaming the lack of weight-bearing exercise. Walking/"jogging"/running is a good way to help mitigate this if your connective tissues and joints can handle it. I find trail running is the easiest on my knees--easier than treadmill, imho.
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a difference between fitness and functional ability related to a specific activity or set of activities?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Is there a difference between fitness and functional ability related to a specific activity or set of activities?
    I wouild ponder that fitness would allow you to participate in a better way in activities that are not-specific. I.e., if you are fit mostly for bicycling, you might be "bicycle fit" but not "fast-walking" fit. General fitness would - hopefully - accomplish both ends. However, it is much too early in the day for me to work my mind around such niceties, and likely even at the end of the day I won't be much better!!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fitness as compared to what? Unless a pine box is being measured for you it is all relative.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    Fitness as compared to what? Unless a pine box is being measured for you it is all relative.
    For me, it's fitness compared to me. How I feel I am compared to how I want to be.

What's wrong with relative?
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-19-10 at 03:27 PM.

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    They haven't used pine boxes for a long time, now it's exotic woods and fine silks, it's hard to actually bury someone for less then $10,000 now....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post

From what I have learned - traditional fitness includes the following:

• Cardio-vascular/Aerobic Fitness (endurance)
    • Muscular Strength
    • Body Composition (fat/lean)
    • Flexibility
    And I would add some non-traditional ones

• Bone/ligament/tendon fitness - can be improved through appropriate activities.
    • Mental health fitness
    • Financial fitness
    • Social fitness
    • Spiritual fitness
    The traditional one most often ignored in the bicycling world in my opinion is muscular strength - partucularly upper body - something that decreases year-after year after about 35 years old or so, if left unattended, but almost completely avoidable with appropriate activities. Muscular fitness also interacts with bone fitness in that exercises often used to strengthen can also help with osteoporosis prevention. Some believe that osteoporosis may be associated with bicycling. Controversial, but there are several studies pointing in that direction.

And your thoughts on "fitness?"
    I think that's an excellent description of fitness. I can't think of much to add.

To your first list of traditional fitness I would maybe add "balance and co-ordination." To the second list I would add "Absence of disease" and define disease as sometihing like "something (internal) that interferes with quantity or quality of life."

"Think Outside the Cage"

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would add balance to the list - probably the most ignored yet most important.

However - for me, abdominal fitness - when my belly fat is there, I feel crappy. When I have fought it back I feel great.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roody also added balance and also coordination. Good additions. I think your ab fitness would fall under muscular strength and body composition.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    I would add balance to the list - probably the most ignored yet most important.

However - for me, abdominal fitness - when my belly fat is there, I feel crappy. When I have fought it back I feel great.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a bad list... and the balance/coordination factor seems like a good addition. But the "financial, social, spiritual" components seem to introduce different elements outside the physical realm. Not saying they're not important, but they represent some qualitatively different dimensions that aren't easily measured. (On further reflection, I guess I feel a little uncomfortable with "financial fitness" somehow. Just my two-cents...)

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
    They haven't used pine boxes for a long time, now it's exotic woods and fine silks, it's hard to actually bury someone for less then $10,000 now....
    Hmm, this leads me to downgrade myself as far as financial fitness ...

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of like the whole list as a quick self-assessment. Maybe I'm just in the mood for that right now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)