Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Trek Single Speed Belt Driven District

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-10, 07:03 PM

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts

ok..ok.. swung by my LBS this am and needed a new bike "Fix".. This was setting there since last fall. Came home with it ands another Trek TT Bike.. Oh My..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
aa1.jpg (103.9 KB, 77 views)
Old 03-11-10, 10:28 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Do you like the belt drive? I would expect it to be less efficient than a properly maintained roller chain.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-12-10, 04:26 AM

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Originally Posted by John E
Do you like the belt drive? I would expect it to be less efficient than a properly maintained roller chain.
It is very quiet and not sure how effcient it is, however I just wanted one to play around with. It was sitting at LBS for about 6 months and i made him a offer that if he refused, i didnt care if i bought the bike or not! He accepted and i took it home along with another new trek Equinox TT Bike. That also was sitting there for almost a year..
Old 03-13-10, 01:40 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Belt drive and a Grey frame.

Wouldn't be my choice- especially with the colour of those wheels----but if it is cheap enough

Going to need ride reports on both bikes now so your bit of "Impulse" buying of both bikes is going to cost you a lot of work now--Along with the pics to go with the reports.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-13-10, 09:17 PM
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Hi,

I test rode on of those Treks last November. I wanted to use it as my rain bike (after adding fenders) figuring that the belt drive would be the ultimate for wet weather riding. My only problem with it was that it wasn't clear to me that you could change the the front ring or rear cog easily or even find different ratios for it easily. Otherwise I liked how it rode.

BTW, I ended up buying a used Bianchi Roger.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 03-14-10, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam
Belt drive and a Grey frame.

Wouldn't be my choice- especially with the colour of those wheels----but if it is cheap enough

Going to need ride reports on both bikes now so your bit of "Impulse" buying of both bikes is going to cost you a lot of work now--Along with the pics to go with the reports.
Hi there, Not sure what exactly you mean by its going to cost me lots of work? I actually bought that Single spped because of its color scheme and also i loved how it rode. Have now did (2) 20 mile rides on it since i got it and i love it. Great for workouts in brutal NE Headwinds.. WOW.. Yes I am a impulse buyer and have been for many years. Aquiring over 10 bikes within the last 2 years.. YAH.. Impulse is it..

Cheers, Jerry in NW Ohio
Old 03-14-10, 07:03 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Cleave
Hi,

My only problem with it was that it wasn't clear to me that you could change the the front ring or rear cog easily or even find different ratios for it easily.

https://www.carbondrivesystems.com/

The new carbon belt systems are all the rage for tandem timing chains (the left side chain linking captain and stoker).

Regarding cog sizes, here is what Gates shows for now: https://www.carbondrivesystems.com/cd_specs.php?lang=us I would suppose that a 60/20 teeth ratio would have the same gearing as a 48/16 combination.

Where does the frame split on the RH chainstay so that you can get the belt on? Unlike a chain, there is no link to remove. I wonder how they reinforce the frame to take the torque, since more stress in on the RH side of the frame.

Last edited by Monoborracho; 03-14-10 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-22-10, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful bike, I also like the color combo. Could I be so crude as to ask what kind of 'steal' you got her for? They MSRP for about $1k no?
Old 03-22-10, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Moozh
Beautiful bike, I also like the color combo. Could I be so crude as to ask what kind of 'steal' you got her for? They MSRP for about $1k no?

I now have owned this bike for over a week now. Been riding about 20 miles on it every day as the weather has been lovely. 1st time i have rose any of my road bikes as its always been one of my Fuel Trek MT Bikes.. As far as price goes..Sure.. I paid about $650.00 for it out the door with tax...