Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Vote on the option if you feel "fit" or satisfied with your progress in this area.

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cardio-vascular/Aerobic Fitness (endurance)

25 80.65%
  • Muscular Strength (upper and lower body)

16 51.61%
  • Body Composition (fat/lean)/nutrition

11 35.48%
  • Flexibility (upper and lower body)

10 32.26%
  • Balance and Coordination

23 74.19%
  • Bone/ligament/tendon fitness

17 54.84%
  • Mental health fitness

24 77.42%
  • Financial fitness

17 54.84%
  • Social /Spiritual fitness

18 58.06%
  • Freedom from Disease

25 80.65%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Different fitness assessment

OK, you all knew it was coming. Based upon the recent fitness thread, A POLL BY FOX just for 50+'rs!!

This poll is anonymous. Multiple respones are allowed.

Check those areas in which you rate yourself as "fit" - meaning satisfied with your progress/status. Not superb nor great nor wonderful, simply "fit."

"Fit" meaning you are satisfied with your situation/progress in life in this area. If not satisfied, just leave it blank - don't vote for it.

As the software only allows 10 responses, this is the only way I can figure out how to do this.

If you hate the poll - well, I doubt you will have any problem expressing that.

In any event, please feel free to further expound on any of the above.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-20-10 at 06:27 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this poll! One of your best.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    Thanks - I will bet there will be some who don't!!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not check social/spiritual because right now we are going through some staff and emphasis changes at our church, where we have been closely connected. We feel a bit estranged from the church, have investigated other churches, but we have many friends at this church, and we don't want to leave that (although some have left for the same reason). So we are torn between a couple of pastors (and sermons) we don't care for and some folks we care a lot for.

There was also a lot of upheaval and tension during the building of an addition, which a number of folks felt was not necessary. IMHO, John Wesley would turn over in his grave if he could see our church - buildings and the like were NOT his thing!

This is hopepfully a temporary condition - ???
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-20-10 at 07:06 AM.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the first four things were as "developed" as well as the last four I'd be very happy. Sadly, it's the first four things I'm always working on, and not making the progress I'd like.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far (10 voters), it seems as if we feel we are almost all extremely mentally healthy, but we are almost all unhappy with our body composition!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-20-10 at 08:35 AM.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    So far (10 voters), it seems as if we feel we are almost all extremely mentally healthy, but we are almost all unhappy with our body composition!
    There was a poll taken of students after international testing for things like math, science, etc.
    The American students were noticeable that they had great self esteem despite testing well below average on many tests.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this poll and find it interesting that although most feel they are in good shape cardio, disease, and mental health wise, they don't feel as well about their body composition.

Also interesting is the fiscal health rating. I used to think when the kids grew up and became self-sufficient, that my fiscal health would improve, but what I didn't take into account was that along with growth of our kids came a growth in family and all those expenses that incur.

I also remember talking with my father-in-law around 25 years years ago about how it must be nice for him that he doesn't have to shell out money for all his kids now that they are grown and working. He said that now that they are grown they still do ask for money and when they do, it's real money, not pocket change.
    "My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything" -Peter Golkin
    [SIGPIC]http://www.wulffmorgenthaler.com/striphandler.ashx?stripid=57f6ca71-73a8-42a3-acc4-29e6d333df27[/SIGPIC]

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    I don't --Not one single box I can tick so I ticked balance and co-ordination. Well I haven't fallen off the bike more than twice in the last 4 months but that has been down to the bad weather stopping me do anything other than short rides. (Fell off twice on the MTB-Once on Ice and once into a snow drift.)
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I don't --Not one single box I can tick so I ticked balance and co-ordination. Well I haven't fallen off the bike more than twice in the last 4 months but that has been down to the bad weather stopping me do anything other than short rides. (Fell off twice on the MTB-Once on Ice and once into a snow drift.)
    Next time I will try to find things that you can check so you will feel better about the poll. Like:

Did you get up this morning?

Does your wife love you? - oops, that might not be a good one!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time I will try to find things that you can check so you will feel better about the poll. Like:

Did you get up this morning?

Does your wife love you? - oops, that might not be a good one!
    Reason i don't like this poll is because I should be ticking every box- I got some good rides in last year- got fitness up to a good standard -kept weight down and every thing perfect- Then came Novemnber and a few body niggles- bad weather stopping me from doing any decent rides and for weeks at a time- not even riding.

So as I say- this poll is no good for me- It has made me realise how poor a condition I am in- and although I will not mind it- I have a lot of work to do this summer to even get myself fit enough to do a metric. Something that last Autumn I was doing every weekend as part of my normal riding.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Waterford, Orbea, Giant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, embarrassingly enough, I checked 'em all. I really don't have a complaint about my fitness or life. Life is good. However, it does seem like it's a bunch of spinning plates, and any one could come off the stick at any moment.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mental health is taking a hit. Truly, anyone in health-care is stressed to the max these days. It's like what was said about the French soldier in WWI: lions led by jackasses.

Having said that, I really count on getting a good ride in these days. Today was such a day: took on some short but steep hills. Definitely easier to do with 13 less pounds to drag up. I did not check cardiovascular fitness on the list but as I was looking over my numbers from last year and I'm pretty close to where I was at my "peak" last year.

Which is not saying that much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not check social/spiritual because right now we are going through some staff and emphasis changes at our church, where we have been closely connected. We feel a bit estranged from the church, have investigated other churches, but we have many friends at this church, and we don't want to leave that (although some have left for the same reason). So we are torn between a couple of pastors (and sermons) we don't care for and some folks we care a lot for.

There was also a lot of upheaval and tension during the building of an addition, which a number of folks felt was not necessary. IMHO, John Wesley would turn over in his grave if he could see our church - buildings and the like were NOT his thing!

This is hopepfully a temporary condition - ???

Unfortunately not an unusual thing. Some churches/denominations have divided their congregants into four age groups and have decided they can no longer minister to the oldest of the four groups. Others have developed great schisms between the laity and the heirarchy; even to the point of expelling some congregations and seizing their assets. Yet others have rewarded leaders whose talent and legacy is to build brick and mortar instead of people.

As I said very unfortunate and not a good testimony for the faith.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 25 responders, less than 50% feel fit or satisfied in the following areas: Interesting!!

Body Composition (fat/lean)/nutrition 8 32.00%

Flexibility (upper and lower body) 9 36.00%

Muscular Strength (upper and lower body) 11 44.00%

Financial fitness 11 44.00%
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-21-10 at 06:13 AM.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I left balance and flexibility unchecked but, if others are like me, that may be misleading. I worry about balance because I know it is important as you get older and I don't do anything specific to address it. I worry a little about flexibility because I have had poor flexibility my entire life. BUT, I don't actually see any problems from balance and I recently read some studies that indicate that the medical importance of flexibility is vastly over-rated. So maybe it is needless worry on both counts.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donheff View Post
    I left balance and flexibility unchecked but, if others are like me, that may be misleading. I worry about balance because I know it is important as you get older and I don't do anything specific to address it. I worry a little about flexibility because I have had poor flexibility my entire life. BUT, I don't actually see any problems from balance and I recently read some studies that indicate that the medical importance of flexibility is vastly over-rated. So maybe it is needless worry on both counts.
    It is sort of a hokey poll.

For me, flexibility - especially in the hip flexors - is crucial, given my pain the past few months. Increased flexibility has greatly reduced that pain.