Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   How do you see yourself as a cyclist? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/630238-how-do-you-see-yourself-cyclist.html)

badger1 03-21-10 07:59 PM

"In the end, we're all just dorks riding around on bicycles.":thumb:

unixpro 03-21-10 10:06 PM

I'm a daily commuter who rides alone and likes it that way. Sometimes another guy meets up and rides with me for part of the trip, and that's OK, but mostly I ride alone.

I rode for health, both mental and physical. it's stress relief and a way to get some fresh air.

I'm a turtle and don't really mind it. Maybe I'll pick up the pace if I get passed a few times and maybe I won't. Depends on how I feel.

Neil_B 03-21-10 10:24 PM

You didn't have "tourist" as a category.

tony2v 03-22-10 09:25 AM

I race mainly on the velodrome and do the fast club rides/races. I'll be doing some of the 45+ and 50+ crits this year because of peer pressure ;)!

kr32 03-22-10 11:34 AM

I checked first four. I do check numbers but not to "improve" . I ride to get out the house and well the first two on the list.

I would more than likely race if I started when I was say in my 30's. I used to race Moto-X and was pretty competitive but as I age that has changed to I chill more and enjoy a more relaxed life.

As far as group rides...not for me. I ride solo 99% of the time.

bobthib 03-22-10 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 10557713)
I ride to hear little kids say "Hey.....cool bike!"
It's about the bike.

THe only time I hear that is on the Lamo Tandem. Then I (we) hear it a lot.

az_cyclist 03-22-10 02:19 PM

I voted other because I ride for a combination of reasons. The three most important reasons are that I enjoy cycling much more than running or swimming, I enjoy staying in good condition, and I enjoy the club I ride with. I guess all of those could apply to cycling for mental health, as it helps me to relax after a long week at work.

bjjoondo 03-22-10 03:26 PM

Yea I'm a combo rider too, mainly for the "mental" health, but the physcial is a good thing, (lost 4 pant sizes since I restarted riding!), I do keep basic "stats" on us at "bikewire", kinda fun! We've just joined our local club but LOL, we are even wayyyyyyy slow for the "Social Rides" so we won't be seeing any "fitness rides" for a Loooooooooooooooooooong time. ;) Still, we are truely "smell the roses riders", yes, we want to do touring but it's gona be SLOW touring, nothing with a "time limit" to get so many miles!!

LAriverRat 03-22-10 07:43 PM

I see myself as just below Lance, with heart of Eddie Merkx , and the Endurance of Miguel Indurain.

billydonn 03-22-10 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by LAriverRat (Post 10563175)
I see myself as just below Lance, with heart of Eddie Merkx , and the Endurance of Miguel Indurain.

I see myself as a sleek gazelle swooping around curves and knifing through the wind. But I think I may look like a bear who somehow stole a bicycle! :lol:

DX-MAN 03-22-10 09:47 PM

I see myself as a guy who rides his bike for life. No car, no racing, no training program.

Fitness, yes; mental health, hell yes.

It's already penciled in: March 9, 2049: 90 minutes on the bike.

The Adventure Cycling Association has taken on the slogan of the Harley riders: "Ride To Live, Live To Ride." It's a little hokey after all these years, but it does hit to the core of things.

sneezy 03-23-10 07:19 AM

....and for some of us, cycling is an addiction...and we don't want rehab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick@OCRR 03-23-10 03:47 PM

I checked "randonneuring" even though the double centuries I ride are not RUSA events. I figure double centuries are included under the "crazy stuff" part!

Not this: http://www.rusa.org/

This: http://www.caltriplecrown.com/index.htm

Rick / OCRR

BluesDawg 03-23-10 05:53 PM

When I ride past a store front with big windows in front, I sometimes look and see myself as a cyclist. Often as a cyclist about to run into the back of a car. :eek:

kr32 03-24-10 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 10567819)
When I ride past a store front with big windows in front, I sometimes look and see myself as a cyclist. Often as a cyclist about to run into the back of a car. :eek:

Sweet..thanks for the morning laugh. :thumb:

rumrunn6 03-31-10 09:53 AM

I'm a complete ****** (no offense meant) who is barely hanging on and pointlessly diligent in perpetuating a regiment despite adversity

Fat Tire 04-01-10 12:56 AM

Just trying to get some exercise, and riding a bike is easier than walking/jogging. (You have to be in shape to stay in shape, unless you consider ROUND as a shape).

ahsposo 04-01-10 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 10567819)

Ah, vanity thy name is BluesDawg.

mexipat 04-01-10 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by billydonn (Post 10563590)
I see myself as a sleek gazelle swooping around curves and knifing through the wind. But I think I may look like a bear who somehow stole a bicycle! :lol:

All I can say is thank you for making me laugh loud and long. I'm afraid you've described my riding style.

BluesDawg 04-01-10 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by ahsposo (Post 10607421)
Ah, vanity thy name is BluesDawg.

Yeah, like you don't do it too. :rolleyes:

GLA 04-01-10 09:47 PM

I checked the first 2, mental health and to stay in shape. I also checked randonneuring, which some would say means I need more of number 1

dedhed 04-02-10 07:00 AM

That poll needs a commuter option. I ride for my health, mental health, and commute with only the occasional "recreational" ride.